Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polemaster Image Freezing - Help

Andyb90

Hi all,

I'm trying to start my first imaging session in a long time and seems I'm stuck straight away. I've opened the polemaster software and can connect to the camera. I get an image with polaris in the middle as normal, but after a few seconds it freezes.

I've not had this issue before, Up until now it has been fine. I'm on a Windows 10 laptop.

I've just tried uninstalling and re-installing the software, but the same thing is happening.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful as I can't see what the issue could be.

Thanks,

Andy,

I just had the mount and polemaster connected. Normally it works fine. I saw a couple of posts mentioning playing a video to get it working. So I tried playing a video on YouTube. Then the polemaster video seemed to start working and I managed to complete the polar alignment. I’m not sure if the playing the video actually helped. I’ll have to do more testing.

After further testing it appears playing a video while the Polemaster software is working prevents the image freeze. It’s very odd. I hope qhyccd can issue a proper fix for the issue as this type of workaround is not ideal. If PHD2 can do a constant image refresh I don’t see why the Polemaster software can’t do that without playing a video in the background.

I had a similar problem when I was first getting my equipment setup. The video trick worked with the Polemaster camera, but did not help with the Orion Pro guide camera. It flat out didn’t work at all. Plugged the Orion into my sons ASUS laptop - bingo. Worked just like it should. 

Turned out it was the USB ports on the DELL G7 laptop. It has a Thunderbolt port as well that uses different hardware . Bought a Thunderbolt USB 3 docking station the plugs into it - both the Polemaster and Orion Pro cameras work perfectly. 

Some  Dells apparently have issues with USB 3 ports when using the monochromatic cameras.

• 3 months later...

Solution for Dell XPS 15 9570, maybe also for other labtops

Start with Bios-Setup (F2)

- deactivate C-States Control
- activate Enable USB PowerShare

This works for me perfectly even on passive usb-hubs. Playing video is no more necessary.

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

• Like 2

This is almost certainly the problem.  I had exactly the same problem with my Dell XPS.  I was connecting polemaster directly to my laptop.  I have had no problems since using a powered USB hub instead (which I needed to be using for other devices anyway).

• 4 months later...

As with many of you I had the same problem, Polemaster freezes or hangs.  I emailed Polmaster a got a quick reply. I did 2 things to get Polemaster working. I reinstalled the program on my new Acer nitro laptop. The second wast to change the c-state. I do not have access to this in the Bios. I went into power management and set the laptop into constant gaming mode. This way it won't power down the CPU and cause Polemaster to freeze. So far it has worked perfectly and no longer freezes. 

• 1 year later...

Hi there, apologies for re-raising an old thread but after a lot of searching through various forums, including this one, to find a way to stop the chronic freezing of the Polemaster camera image in the Polemaster software, the only item that appears to have worked for me was running Stellarium full-screen in the background. None of the USB power management, powered USB hub or direct USB to laptop connection, CPU c-state/step-down (not switchable in my BIOS), re-installing PM software or drivers or running a film in the background worked for me on my windows 10 HP Pavilion laptop. With Stellarium running though it appears to work every time which is great as I love the simplicity and accuracy that the Polemaster provides, especially when I can get it to work with my setup!

Thought it worth mentioning in case others are still having issues

Edited by wallmana