Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Budget HEQ5 latitude bolt mod

jeffwjz

I'm using Heq5 pro mount and I found that the latitude bolts (especially the lower one) can be quite difficult to turn. I was thinking replacing the bolts with M10 socket cap screws of similar length so that I can use Allen key to adjust the latitude and supposedly I'll make the process easier with the longer torque arm. 

Has anyone done such modifications? Is it a viable option? 

Thanks. 

The issue isn't so much the bolts themselves, it's the lug that they bear against inside the mount. It's soft cast alloy and it's at a daft angle which suits lower latitude observers but not us more northerly people.

Trouble is if you increase the force you put through the bolts (with an allen key for example) you will almost certainly damage or overrun the lug inside.

Lot's of people upgrade the bolts for stronger stainless ones with plastic handles (expensive) to make them easier to turn, and some people have modded the lug inside to provide a better surface for the bolts to bear against. 

On my EQ6 I have the standard bolts which I have greased to make them move a bit easier.  I also never try to adjust them with the full weight of the scope and weights, I hold the weight off with my right hand whilst adjusting the bolt with my left, they turn much easier this way (takes a bit more time to get the PA right though as when you release the weight the PA sometimes shifts a little)