Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

bottletopburly

Messier 31-8.5hrs

M31 8.5 hrs over three nights so far , dithered frames , bias as darks and flats guided on an Eq6 , Tecnosky 70/346mm quadruplet , stacked in DSS , processed in Startools , comments most welcome , not quite sure star colour quite right , what do you think? Had problem with flats hopefully now sorted 

m31 8.5HRS3DATA

• Like 3

No the colour is not right but you have clipped the black point I think. I think that you could get much more out of the data.

Peter

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

No the colour is not right but you have clipped the black point I think. I think that you could get much more out of the data.

Peter

Thanks peter  will look into that , 

This looks quite good to me. I would have expected a somewhat deeper and more noise free signal for 8.5h though. What instrument did you use to acquire the data? How is the light pollution at your location?

I can't quite place Peter's comments about the colours and clipping however...

The foreground stars show all temperatures of the black body curves equally (red->orange->yellow->white->blue are all accounted for). The yellow core is present (older stars), the bluer outer rim is correct (younger OB stars, more star formation), the all too often neglected purple/pink HII areas (as can be corroborated/seen here) are just about coming through in the outer rim (responsible for the star formation), the red/brown dust lanes are present. You have produced a scientifically valuable image in terms of coloring of temperatures and emissions. Finally, your histogram looks just fine to me and shows no clipping that I can see;

1347037454_Screenshotat2019-09-11223849.png.226a24d3cf6eeb0b5c661e78a6dca0f2.png

I'd say nicely done!

• Like 2

This is the histogram with Affinity Photo - looks clipped to me.

PeterCapture.JPG.130026e26add00eea8ea659a5df59fd8.JPG

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jager945 said:

This looks quite good to me. I would have expected a somewhat deeper and more noise free signal for 8.5h though. What instrument did you use to acquire the data? How is the light pollution at your location?

I can't quite place Peter's comments about the colours and clipping however...

The foreground stars show all temperatures of the black body curves equally (red->orange->yellow->white->blue are all accounted for). The yellow core is present (older stars), the bluer outer rim is correct (younger OB stars, more star formation), the all too often neglected purple/pink HII areas (as can be corroborated/seen here) are just about coming through in the outer rim (responsible for the star formation), the red/brown dust lanes are present. You have produced a scientifically valuable image in terms of coloring of temperatures and emissions. Finally, your histogram looks just fine to me and shows no clipping that I can see;

1347037454_Screenshotat2019-09-11223849.png.226a24d3cf6eeb0b5c661e78a6dca0f2.png

I'd say nicely done!

Thanks ivo 👍 imaging  equipment canon 1000d Astro Modified ur filter removed , Tecnosky 70 Q /346mm quadruplet 

idasD2 filter  , Stacked in deepskystacker (wb from camera  not sure if I should have checked that ) processed in startools ,  taken from my location on edge of town  , led  street lights fitted all around town bortle 6 sky 

1 hour ago, bottletopburly said:

Thanks ivo 👍 imaging  equipment canon 1000d Astro Modified ur filter removed , Tecnosky 70 Q /346mm quadruplet 

idasD2 filter  , Stacked in deepskystacker (wb from camera  not sure if I should have checked that ) processed in startools ,  taken from my location on edge of town  , led  street lights fitted all around town bortle 6 sky 

Say no more. IMHO, that's not bad at all for Bortle 6 and a 1000D!  Light pollution is such a killer for fainter objects.

The mod explains how you were able to get the HII areas showing. Nice!

• Thanks 1