Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 6871

Kinch

You don't hear much about NGC 6871 - it is a pretty small cluster.....but I just liked how this turned out. It is a crop from a larger image.

NGC 6871 is a small, young open cluster in the constellation of Cygnus. The cluster has less than 50 members, most of which are blue and white stars. It is located 5135 light-years from Earth.

NGC 6871.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks for the comment Alan. The cluster was not really the subject of the original shot - it was a wide fov image with the Tulip Nebula at one end. The nebulosity here, although very evident was always hard to make anything of....it just was dull and boring. The amount of small stars also makes this quite a challenging area for an image - if they are too prominent they take over the frame; if reduced too much, they just look like noise. Last night, I was just playing with the data and although I came up with an overall not very exciting image, it was a result - it is only when one looks very close in that the merits of the work might come through. This is what I said on my FaceBook page: NGC 6871 - a very small star cluster....but I was more interested in pulling out some detail from the surrounding area and mixing in RGB stars with the narrow band data. This is a crop from a larger image......just playing with PixInsight. 🙂 

I will just add - that if anyone is interested : the full fov image in reasonably high resolution is here:                    http://www.kinchastro.com/uploads/5/1/5/9/51595789/tulip_nebula_area_signed__3318_x_2205_.jpg

Edited by Kinch