Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Nigeyboy

Why does this happen . . . . !

Been cloudy for the past several days here, so why when the clouds clear, does it seem to coincide with a full moon:

Weather.thumb.PNG.d4b8023b5ed38120292dd57c0fe9f2a3.PNG

Typical isn't it!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yep . . . all getting a bit predictable isn't it!! Maybe its a chance for me to try my butchered webcam to see if I can capture a full disk image of the moon?

• Like 1

Diversification is the key.........

Narrow Band imaging is the solution.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

Could be worse... 

Yup ...

D268FDD1-326A-40BF-98EF-76B3BC8EB813.png

Edited by Floater
  • Sad 2

Take what you can get in this game, and don’t complain! ;) <ducking for cover!> 

Whats wrong with imaging the Moon, its by far the best target out there.....................................................

Alan

7 hours ago, Nigeyboy said:

so why when the clouds clear, does it seem to coincide with a full moon

At least one US astronomer refers to Moistons.

I'm not sure of the exact science involved but it seems that most astronomy gear, especially when it's new, emit Moiston molecules. These Moistons group together to form huge clouds. The full Moon is capable of absorbing Moistons and thus giving us relatively clear nights but reemits them as it ebbs towards becoming new again.

Moistons also collect inside unopened telescope boxes and are released into the atmosphere whenever a newly purchased telescope is opened. This is the reason why professional companies such as @FLOsupply their telescopes with the warning:

flo.jpg.e6b913e292bab176c97ef598586df42d.jpg

Although there is still much to be discovered, many astronomers believe Moistons look something like the image below. A fluffy, cute but on closer inspection mean looking oxygen with two hydrogens for punchy fists:

Moistons.jpg.3e9ab10f43c18d21961c9a5165e1f604.jpg

Edited by Rob Sellent
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I can not argue with the Moistons theory, I bought a Skywatcher 8" Dob, and it was a clear night right up until I finished assembly and went outside. The moistens must have escaped into the atmosphere when I opened the door, as it clouded over immediately. They have not dispersed since...

• Haha 1

I've dug out an old report of Moistons from the science magazine Gadzooks. It pretty much goes over what we've said already but there were a few more pics that I thought might help illustrate the phenomenon.

102676998_Moonabsorbingmoistons.jpg.882d59137efb66c53b5bf45a7e88f067.jpg

241330919_moistonsoffatelescope.jpg.d8a0b0ca37d982253076815a13747687.jpg

1391396283_protectingenvironmentagainstmoinstons.jpg.90f321502a15b963d7f48403a8324dd6.jpg

• Haha 2