Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
baggywrinkle

Whipple Musuem of the History of Science, Cambridge

I finally got to see this museum. The problem is that it is closed at weekends and as I am still working I needed to take time off. So I have waited until my son is visiting from NZ.

It is on Freeschool Lane just around the corner from the Eagle Pub which is worth a visit to see the preserved ceiling from WWII.

The Whipple is a free entry and usually opens from 12:30-16:30, check their website.

Though not large it is stuffed full with many objects of historical scientific interest and best of all many are astronomy related, globes, orrery's, astrolabes, telescopes all nicely documented. There is a real beauty of a Herschel reflector.

The other parts of the collection are wide ranging..nice to see a ZX81 and draws of calculators...I remember when the first calculators were both expensive and a novelty!

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_3382.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3394.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG

IMG_3430.JPG

IMG_3431.JPG

• Like 2

Still got my old ZX81 - stored away somewhere ,together with  the wobbly memory expansion pack that plugged in the back . Brings back memories of spending ages  typing in programs by hand that been published in the computer magazines of old,and backing the programs up on an old cassette recorder !

Edited by Mark-V