SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Whipple Musuem of the History of Science, Cambridge

baggywrinkle

I finally got to see this museum. The problem is that it is closed at weekends and as I am still working I needed to take time off. So I have waited until my son is visiting from NZ.

It is on Freeschool Lane just around the corner from the Eagle Pub which is worth a visit to see the preserved ceiling from WWII.

The Whipple is a free entry and usually opens from 12:30-16:30, check their website.

Though not large it is stuffed full with many objects of historical scientific interest and best of all many are astronomy related, globes, orrery's, astrolabes, telescopes all nicely documented. There is a real beauty of a Herschel reflector.

The other parts of the collection are wide ranging..nice to see a ZX81 and draws of calculators...I remember when the first calculators were both expensive and a novelty!

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_3382.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3394.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG

IMG_3430.JPG

IMG_3431.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Still got my old ZX81 - stored away somewhere ,together with  the wobbly memory expansion pack that plugged in the back . Brings back memories of spending ages  typing in programs by hand that been published in the computer magazines of old,and backing the programs up on an old cassette recorder !

Edited by Mark-V
  • Like 4

• 3 years later...

Visited the Whipple Museum for the first time this week. Old school museum - in the best possible way. A few telescopes and other astro stuff. Fir me though, the collection of old chemistry sets was remarkable. Think @JOC would like these

634CB816-AF4E-4BFE-8EFB-311522229A94.thumb.jpeg.c506175297ee131675e12911885d7ed9.jpeg0618ADC8-6628-42A1-B7A3-6AFBF52961DD.thumb.jpeg.f313311dc27d2b772eedde1ac408a612.jpegE67F8D8E-6208-40A5-A307-5F8A188BE263.thumb.jpeg.4a643b08ed3e4a41a4642711f60a24b5.jpeg

• Like 8

Ah the wonderful do it yourself at home nuclear set. Easy to find t in the dark 👍

Actually one of biggest shockers there was a model of the protein myoglobin. Herman Watson lectured on protein structure and function when I was an undergraduate. To me seems like yesterday 

EF97E6D1-C156-4964-B7B7-257CF1BB1ED2.thumb.jpeg.cea8af50370d167643b0cf8a640b85e5.jpeg

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Think @JOC would like these

A big smile here when I saw that chemistry set picture - I once owned that very same Merit chemistry set - identical in every respect.  That's also quite a molecular model!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Visited the Whipple Museum for the first time this week. Old school museum - in the best possible way. A few telescopes and other astro stuff. Fir me though, the collection of old chemistry sets was remarkable. Think @JOC would like these

That photograph of the chemistry set is wonderful. Could you ever imagine any kids toy being advertised today with a kid wearing a shirt and tie as part of the graphics!  That demographic just does not exist anymore; I'd guess they disappeared with Enid Blyton's famous 5 after the lashings of ginger bear and chocolate ran out :) 

Lovely photographs Jeremy, I'll need to drop in to Whipple Museum if I ever find myself in the area. 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for sharing the Whipple Museum. :thumbsup:

The London Science Museum once felt like it hadn't changed since Victorian times.
Countless exhibits in glass cases. It was truly amazing and absolutely wonderful!!
Last time I went [30 years ago?] it was aimed at small children.
Who like to watch "reality" on TV and push buttons. Never again! :icon_rolleyes:

Edited by Rusted
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, michael8554 said:

I like the replica Harrison H3 clock, I have an H5 on my keyring, a bit more portable..... 

Non-working Science Museum momento of course !

Michael

Was it working before you used as a key ring?  

• Haha 2

On 07/04/2023 at 16:16, Rusted said:

The London Science Museum once felt like it hadn't changed since Victorian times.
Countless exhibits in glass cases. It was truly amazing and absolutely wonderful!!
Last time I went [30 years ago?] it was aimed at small children.
Who like to watch "reality" on TV and push buttons. Never again!

I felt the same way.  I remember visiting the Geological Museum on a school trip, and being in awe at the glass cases full of the most incredible mineral specimens.  When I had grown up and moved to London for work, I visited again and found that many of them had been removed to the basement, to make room for more "exciting" exhibits like a moving floor that simulated an earthquake.

While I agree that children are a very important target audience for museums, I do sometimes despair when curators think that the only way of attracting their attention is with something that moves, makes a noise or allows them to interact.

• Like 3

I presume they have lost their conservation skills. Or the staff who once could.
Do you awaken tomorrow's scientists with screens and big buttons?
The children already have that at home and in their pockets.
Education or entertainment?
Choose one!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 09/04/2023 at 09:09, michael8554 said:

I like the replica Harrison H3 clock, I have an H5 on my keyring, a bit more portable..... 

Thread drift (apologies if offended)... A Harrison clock keyring is so 'unhip' and 'yesteryear'...

A few years ago I purchased some of these for my sixth-form students so that they could become better acquainted with 'modern physics'...!!!

thumbnail_Quantum key....jpg

• Like 1