Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Red film for phones/tablets?

michaelmorris

Whilst I can use software to make the screen of my Windows Tablet and Android phone red, in neither instance does this work all the time.  What I'm really after is a red film that can be taken on and off the touch sensitive screen of the phone or tablet so that I can ensure that neither will ruin my night vision.

The only products I've found so far are Xtra Dark Cling by Sirius Products.

https://www.siriusastroproducts.com/products---red-eyes-computeriphonedslr-light-shield.html?m

and a red screen protector by Astrogizmo

http://www.astrogizmos.com/TransPVC.htm

However, both of these products are quite expensive for what are just basically plastic screen protectors + you have to add shipping costs from the USA.  Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives that can be used with a touch sensitive screen?

Thanks

The "Red Eyes Cling Xtra Dark" is excellent, long lasting and, IME, worth every penny you spend on it. I've posted an update to a review of it a few days ago in the "Member Equipment Reviews" subforum on here. Don't skimp on the light shield - it will fulfill the needs.

Stephan

• Like 1

A local craft shop will have sheets of red acatate or acrylic that you can use. One I visited recently had a few colours in stock, they did have a red. As a easy to remove cover I would say try taping one side with something like sellotape, I have a roll of tape that is notated as Invisible. Seems a nice flexible strip of tape. Tape one side or the top and fold or flip the sheet as required.

23 hours ago, KevS said:

Bit off the wall, but how about a pair of these; goodness only knows where you would get a set though. Could also be utilised for nipping into the kitchen to make a cuppa mid session without loosing dark adaptation. 

goggle2.jpg.3b386a3b926a80bb259153d4f77dfebc.jpg

I already have some red safety specs that I use for the very same purpose.  However, unless I issue pairs to 100 people they aren't going to help at a star party! 😀

23 hours ago, PEMS said:

A local craft shop will have sheets of red acatate or acrylic that you can use. One I visited recently had a few colours in stock, they did have a red. As a easy to remove cover I would say try taping one side with something like sellotape, I have a roll of tape that is notated as Invisible. Seems a nice flexible strip of tape. Tape one side or the top and fold or flip the sheet as required.

Would acetate work on a touch screen?

On 09/09/2019 at 15:29, Nyctimene said:

The "Red Eyes Cling Xtra Dark" is excellent, long lasting and, IME, worth every penny you spend on it. I've posted an update to a review of it a few days ago in the "Member Equipment Reviews" subforum on here. Don't skimp on the light shield - it will fulfill the needs.

Stephan

Thanks Stephan.

• Like 1

If you have the right kind of phone and tablet cases you could consider getting a sheet or two of Rubylith - available on Ebay.

This will not "cling" to your phone and tablet screen but cut to size and slipped into a suitable case it will give good filtering but will still allow your touch screen to work.

I used this solution for a couple of years before Apple introduced colour filtering in iOS10. Unfortunately  android haven't got the same facility.

One other though is to try Rubylith with a spray-on repositionable adhesive - same stuff they use on post-it notes although I've not tried this so cant comment on its effectiveness.