Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 HaRGB, 30hrs over 3 nights 515 frames stacked

retret66

10 hours ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Stunning image. Can I ask how you sync the dithering etc with 3 cameras on same mount? 

I use APT, a $20 software which has the only feature that is missing from any other capture software. I run 3 instances of it then under dithering I set 2 as clients and the other as server. Only server will be doing the dithering, the other two clients will wait after dithering is done and will take images simultaneously and process repeats

Edited by retret66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Astrobug said:

What a monster of glass you have there, a triclops! :)

I was inspired to do this because my backyard is surrounded by trees :D . In order to cheat time, even on a 2hr clear night I will get 6hours of data

Edited by retret66

On 09/09/2019 at 09:18, AbsolutelyN said:

Stunning image. Can I ask how you sync the dithering etc with 3 cameras on same mount? 

I do the same, use APT to run one as server and the other as client. I would like to use SGP for the mosaic wizard but it doesn’t do synchronised dithering with multiple cameras. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, apophisOAS said:

OMG! what a setup. Interested to know the specs on the mount ie total weight limits and so..

Lovely M31,

Roger

The mount is Celestron CGX, total weight of the gear is about 46lbs. Since it is symmetrical, balance is not an issue. CGX per spec has a payload of 55lbs. I did try up to 52lbs and it was fine which is true to their claim that if you max it out it will still track fine..

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

I do the same, use APT to run one as server and the other as client. I would like to use SGP for the mosaic wizard but it doesn’t do synchronised dithering with multiple cameras. 

I think APT  support mosaic now via import from CdC.

• Thanks 1

A very good image indeed, with warm colours. 30 hrs well spent. Did you process in Pixinsight? There is a tiny amount of ringing and a background structure in the full scale version that hint at deconvolution in PI.

I think your image of Messier 31 compares to the one Robert Gendler produced many years ago. The hours you have put into producing this master piece, as paid off.

We don't usually get to see the Ha regions so clear and sharp as we do in this one. And the detail in the galaxy and spiral arms is quite astonishing.

Now you're next project has to be M33?

• Thanks 1