Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First astrophotography attempt with smartphone!

Greg6498

Hello all! I had my first go at photographing the moon last night, using an iPhone XR with my Celestron 180mm Maksutov on an Advanced VX mount. I am fairly pleased but it was much more difficult than I had anticipated! Any pointers would be appreciated!😀

F829D1FC-C532-4E39-A228-79CB231F17CB.jpeg

2B40A1FB-0B8C-4044-A301-63D9163F0063.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great pictures Greg, it's not as easy as people might think! You've got really good focus and exposure which are the two key things, nicely done!

Check out the Smartphone and Tablet imaging section for lots of hints and advice.

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/279-imaging-smartphone-tablets/

Thanks Stu! I eventually want to get a starter camera for my scope. What would you suggest?

24 minutes ago, Greg6498 said:

Thanks Stu! I eventually want to get a starter camera for my scope. What would you suggest?

I'm not the best to advise on that Greg, Smartphones are my limit! I'm sure if you post in the Getting Started With Imaging forum plenty of people will help you out.

• 6 months later...

great shots! you've managed to get the exposure and focus just right which is sometimes quite tricky to do with a smartphone camera. I took a 30 second video of Saturn with my Samsung Galaxy A20 attched to my Celestron Nexstar 6SE SCT with an universal smartphone adaptor, and stacked the best frames through Registax 6 and enhanced it a bit. Honestly it came out great and i wasnt expecting it to loke that good either!🤣. Hers's to clear skies! (although its raining like nothing outside right now!)

May the Force be with you.

saturn2.jpg.a1d8a23b58b084b3fee0d5868c063c1a.jpg       

• Like 1

The Apollo astronauts did not mange that quality of photographic detail during their descent and they were actually on their way there, you should be proud of those pictures, and also the fact that you can produce them with an ubiquitous device like a smartphone.

You can see a blue chromatic aberration to the right of the exposures, you might be able to compensate for that with some processing, but great to see those and always inspiring to go further.