SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Guiding Nightmare - What Went Wrong?

scitmon

Last night was my first imaging session of the season and was a very frustrating one.  I setup my rig as usual, but just could not get my guiding to work.  I was using PHD2 and it complained that it could not make big enough corrections to my mount to keep tracking.  I must have checked and rechecked my polar alignment (I use the polar scope and an app to tell me where to position Polaris) 5 times!  

I switched guiding off and took a 90 second exposure and it was actually much better!  Can anyone give me any theories as to what was happening? 

Unguided: 

Single__0044_ISO800_90s__14C.thumb.jpg.4c48618e08ceb9f0925893dd90ae0634.jpg

Guided:

Single__0043_ISO800_90s__14C.thumb.jpg.0eb83afd625e8f0a1ca37ec45cb36e72.jpg

Edited by scitmon

I was using eqmod with a zwo 120mm on an skywatcher st80 to guide a skywatcher 80ed ds-pro. The mount was an azeq6. 

I used the same settings as i always had in the past successfully. I realise its a long shot to ask on here like this but i wondered if anyone had experienced something similar. 

If you are not on a permanent setup I would say a Calibration every night is necessary.

Guidescope orientation and scope balance may well be different.

PHD2 will use the previous Calibration from way back unless you force it to make a new Calibration - Shift/Click the Guide button.

Calibrate, then run the Guide Assistant for at least 2 minutes and accept the suggestions. It will also show a reading of your PA which appears to be good in your unguided image.

Also this is worth reading:

https://openphdguiding.org/phd2-best-practices/

Michael

Edited by michael8554
  • Thanks 1