Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn in IR - Fullerscope

CraigT82

After last nights first light (lunar) for this setup, I got a couple of vids of Saturn for second light tonight. Again I think this setup shows some good potential for when the better conditions return.

Fullerscope 8.75" f7.5 newt on EQ6. GPcam3 290m. Baader IR685 filter. ES 2x focal extender.

10,000 frames captured, stacked 3,000. Sharpened in registax.

FS_290m_IR685_x2-regi.png

• Like 16

2 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Again I think this setup shows some good potential for when the better conditions return.

Looks like it- that’s a great image Craig. What does it look like through an ep? I know image stacking does amazing things  but the increase in resolution to what I’m seeing with v similar scope from my admittedly poor seeing location is really astonishing!

7 hours ago, markse68 said:

What does it look like through an ep?

Nothing like the image unfortunately! Visually I can make out the Cassini division (just) and maybe some slight banding on the planet but that's it.  Ans that's using an ADC too!  

• Thanks 1

That's a cracking image from the old girl Craig! Nice to see it still going strong. When conditions are good, my 8" f8 shows a jet black Cassini, the A, B and C bands in the rings plus clear banding on the surface. What you don't see is the finer detail in the rings that you've caught, presumably the Enke gap and another one inside Cassini? I must try imaging with mine at some point, trouble is I like looking too much ;)

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

I must try imaging with mine at some point, trouble is I like looking too much ;)

Thanks Stu, yeah you should definitely give it a go, the outlay isn't too much (assuming you've already got a laptop). I think I paid £185 for this refurbished gpcam3 290m from altair, they often have refurbished cameras for sale on facebook of all places! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Nothing like the image unfortunately! Visually I can make out the Cassini division (just) and maybe some slight banding on the planet but that's it.  Ans that's using an ADC too!  

That’s a relief lol 😂Sounds exactly like what I see. When the seeing is stable and clear it’s surprising how much detail I can see- it’s been sharper than Jupiter on many occasions. What’s an ADC btw?

3 minutes ago, markse68 said:

When the seeing is stable and clear it’s surprising how much detail I can see- it’s been sharper than Jupiter on many occasions. What’s an ADC btw?

Yes I often find that too. I find it easier to nail focus on saturn than jupiter as the Cassini division provides a nice visual focusing aid.

ADC = atmospheric dispersion corrector. A nice little gadget than corrects the blue/red dispersion you see when the planets are low down.  Good info from Martin Lewis here...

http://skyinspector.co.uk/atm-dispersion-corrector--adc

• Thanks 1

I revisited the processing this afternoon, re-run the stacking with more frames and tweaked the curves in gimp, along with a bit of de-noise also in gimp... better? New version on the right. I feel like I've got some more contrast on the globe at the expense of the faint rings

IMG_20190908_181309.jpg

Edited by CraigT82