SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

3 hours of swearing - thanks Microsoft !!!!

Skipper Billy

Last night was my first clear(ish) night since astro dark returned and the observatory rig was reassembled a month ago.

Reasonably clear - good enough to get polar aligned a few test subs to check everything still works.

Polar aligned - no problem

Guide scope focus - no problem

Everything else no problem until I tried to slew to a target to calibrate PHD2

Changed USB leads - handset moves the mount - Carte du Ciel didnt want to know.

To cut a long story short - it transpires that the Windows 1903 update decided to change the COM port assigned to the mount from 4 to 3 !!!

Slewed around - platesolved - ran autofocus routine - took a 600s test sub and within 30 seconds PHD2 started flashing to warn of lost star - looked up - completely clouded over.

So if you are having issues since last Weds update it might be worth checking which COM ports are assigned to what!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Slewed around - platesolved - ran autofocus routine - took a 600s test sub and within 30 seconds PHD2 started flashing to warn of lost star - looked up - completely clouded over.

Story of my life for last couple of months. 😞 

Thanks for heads up about the com ports though, probably most people will have had their Windows updated recently.

Steve

Reminds of a few months ago whilst I was downloading a Linux distro. I postponed Windows 10 update 'til later. In the middle of the download, the said Microsoft update went ahead anyway. :cussing:

Edited by Philip R

I had them switch on my hotspot in the wyfi and make my network public without a password so anybody could connect with the last update and it wasn't a one off it did it with my gaming pc too. ive emailed MS 3 days ago and thay havnt got back to me. win10, I all ready had the 1903 update this was the topup update. charl.

I can never understand why peeps think that wifi is safe\secure\reliable, as I have tools, designed for the security industry, that can crack them open in minutes.....  

For me wifi devices are the unsafe toys like android\crapple pads phones etc....

Is there a way to stop Windows 10 updates  ??     It rebooted my laptop last night in the middle of a run.   

When it all boots again, the Synscan app is off, the Pegasus Powerbox has unlatched, PHd2 is unconnected and not guiding , and the camera has warmed up !!! 

So a bit of a zen moment otherwise I would take it out on the Toughbook  with extreme prejudice.

14 minutes ago, Craney said:

Is there a way to stop Windows 10 updates  ??     It rebooted my laptop last night in the middle of a run.   

When it all boots again, the Synscan app is off, the Pegasus Powerbox has unlatched, PHd2 is unconnected and not guiding , and the camera has warmed up !!! 

So a bit of a zen moment otherwise I would take it out on the Toughbook  with extreme prejudice.

I thought they'd changed their ways and were allowing the owner to decide when to update although apparently they can still force one.

Best to upgrade to Pro version and get more control.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Its been around since dial on demand (Modems) were used for Internet https://www.wingate.com/products/wingate/index.php

Use something like Wingate (free for upto 10 devices)  this will allow you to say which devices can access the internet and which cant. Only one problem one of your PC's will have to be running Wingate else nobody will get Internet access.

You can also stop your kids using the Internet and/or limit their access LOL.

In a very similar vein a number of my friends that use Co2 lasers have experienced multiple problems ranging from coraldraw crashing to laser control software refusing to connect.  Thankfully my lasers and astro programs are all on a win 7 machine that I have  long ago disabled auto updates after one bombed out my qhy guide camera.

I had issues with my rigs laptop a couple of weeks ago...Fortunately I was trying to make Flats at the time...Windonts10 decided everything would run very slow until I rebooted...and yes, you got it....install updates.....About 90 minutes later I got control of my laptop back!!

And win Pro...forget it...Several times recently, my work laptop, does updates without asking! One morning I had to wait a couple of hours for the updates to finish before I could use it.....Honest Boss 😇