Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO EAF Temp sensor

blinky

Has anybody got a ZWO EAF and Temp sensor?  I think either there is a bug or a faulty sensor/focuser.....  My temp just keeps dropping, BBC says its around 8 degrees outside but my focuser thinks the temp has dropped from 2 to 1 degrees in the last 5 minutes!  Clearly something is faulty, just wondered if anybody else has experienced similar?  Im using SGPro as my image capture software.

Will try the firmware upgrade first, I've never heard if these sensors going faulty. It's just a general temp sensor that you can buy for a couple of quid,always chuckle when I see the sales pitch from ZWO saying it was specially designed for their cameras!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have recently purchased the EAF and fitted it to my Evostar 72ED.  I'm very happy with the focusing performance, but I'm experiencing similar issues with the temperature reading.  Last night the focuser was reading -8.5°C (definitely wasn't that cold) and I had a small digital thermometer outside at the same time which read 1.8°C.  There was a thin coating of frost on some of my gear, so I don't think the 1.8°C reading was entirely accurate either - I'd guess maybe 1-2 degrees below zero.  I happened to find this thread, and updated my firmware to see if it helped but it made no difference.

Today I messaged ZWO via their facebook page to ask about it.  Their response was that the actual temperature isn't really important and that I shouldn't worry about it - it should still be accurate for tracking changes in temperature.  I don't disagree with the thinking, but it's still not really a satisfactory response in my opinion.  I did ask if there could be a way to have an offset value applied in the ASCOM driver, and they said they'd pass my comments to the developers.  Maybe a future firmware update will provide this option.

Graeme