Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron PS1000

Hi I'm looking at getting this teliscop it's not the 1 I really want the 1 I would love is the

Celestron AstroMaster 130eq-md motor drive

But sadly its out of my price range have £150 budget for 1 I'm wondering if any 1 use the 1 I can afford and recommends it or if any 1 can recommend 1 in my price range that dose close to the AstroMaster I've been asking for a decent teliscop for 15 years had few rubish 1s and I'm determined to get a nice teliscop but I'm afraid my wish list is to high for my price range thank you for your help 

Hi Jessica,

Welcome to SGL 🙂   With that budget I would recommend this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html  It is a very good telescope on a solid easy to use mount.  The size of scope is the same as the astromaster, but I'd say the mount is actually better than the astromaster in terms of stability and ease of use.  Many experienced observers here have the heritage scope, even if they have larger scopes too, as it it good quality.

Helen

Hello Jessica and welcome to SGL.

Helen has given you some really good guidance and FirstLightOptics are very reputable.

With this scope......

You will be able to see the Great Red Spot on Jupiter - and it's moons.

You will be able to see Saturn and it's rings.

You will be amazed when you point it at the Moon.

When winter comes you will be able to see the Orion nebula and the Andromeda Galaxy.

You have come to the right place for info.

Perhaps you might like to download Stellarium - planetarium software for your computer - it's free and good 😀

https://stellarium.org/

Edited by dweller25

• 1 year later...

Hi all, new to all this and was going to take your advice on the heritage 130p but it’s out of stock practically everywhere in the UK. I did notice the heritage 114p virtuoso is available though. Would this be a good starter scope or is the aperture too narrow? Also would the motorised mount be useful or just a gimmick? Thanks in advance for any advice 

+1 for the Heritage 130p.

I have the Astromaster 130EQ-MD, Heritage 130p, and Virtuoso 114p. The Astromaster is NOT a good system for a beginner, the initial setting-up is complicated, and the motor drive is a poor compromise. The Heritage 130p and Virtuoso 114p are very simple to set up and easy to use.

I also have, in a different location, the same Virtuoso mount, but with the 90mm Mak. OTA. The Virtuoso mount is frugal on batteries when tracking, and I can plug-in the Synscan handset, from my 250mm Skyliner, for full GoTo; it is also an excellent manual mount.

The Heritage 150p is a recent addition to the Skywatcher range, and had it been available at the time, I would probably have bought it instead of the 130.

However, if you need it soon, your choice may well be limited by availability of hardware in the UK.