Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mercury Transits Sun - 2019 NOV 11

CentaurZ

You could line up around 285 of those little Mercuries across that face of the Sun. Just that tiny prominence to its north could pile up around ten of them :blink: Folk who aren't into astronomy are often offended surprised at realising just how small our rocky planets really are.

Grabbed this quickie during my lunch break. Android phone, Altair Astro 70ED, 16mm Explore scientific EP, white light solar filter ....

IMG_20191111_125558.jpg

Edited by kev100
  • Like 7

Just bagged 10 minutes between the clouds and got to see the Mercury shadow transit!

Its so long since I used the Lunt that I took a few seconds to get back into the groove of tuning the double stack and letting some air into the tuner as it was flat.

Not much else on the disc - 3 x sets of proms, 3 tiny filaments, saw one small bright flux patch briefly.

But the Mercury shadow was nice and clear and a decent sized patch too.

Just got back inside before it started spotting with rain! Fingers crossed for another clear patch later ...

Ala

• Like 4

That looks a fine effort by your group event @Stu :hello2:  Some of you are taking green pics - you must all have different filters to me - I've got a nice gold background from the Baader solar film - mine is most sun-like!

Good breaks in the clouds here in Bournemouth but as I'm at work, I just chucked a small pair of binos in my laptop bag with a solar filter.

Unfortunately the binos are too small to actually resolve Mercury so I'm getting intermittently good views of a golden blob and not much else!

Will be living vicariously through those of you that are sharing images.

5 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Oh well ... I'll always have Venus ...

Ah yes the 2004 Venus transit. perfect clear skies and was able to watch the whole thing. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Only have to wait until 10–11 December 2117 and 8 December 2125 for the next ones. 😂

Edited by johninderby

Taken some 500 frame vid's between clouds poor old SolarQuest is a bit confused, lots of flashing red and green lights, start clouded out so didn't have time to mess with anything like tuning so just started imaging.

Dave

IMG_1100.png.decfcd707ff22f1ca7d33921ea7b1243.png

IMG_1102.png.f601e46aeca45aa0f4dcab50a0c958f1.png

IMG_1104.png.0c0074eb3a1f8f63a7b79464e3cd27b8.png

IMG_1101.png

IMG_1103.png

• Like 3

I was hoping to catch a series of images at the early stages for an animation, but the clouds were a problem.

However, they did make for quite a pretty animation here. This is between First and Second Contact. You can see Mercury as a little notch at the 1 O'Clock position.

49048481453_93d7cea403_o.gif

• Like 6

I got a really good view of the second contact with my 127mm Mak and full aperture filter. Mercury was sharply defined and black.

Tried imaging (sunlight and laptop screens are not a good combination). Eventually got an .ser with ASI120MC and Sharpcap.

Sky is cloudy now. (14.24)

• Like 1

I've just discovered that you learn a great deal about pupil focal point on an EP when you hold up a mobile to get an afocal image.  However, I think I got it in some of these.  In fact I think these will be better than the DSLR

20191111_141953.jpg

20191111_141959.jpg

20191111_142000.jpg

20191111_141540.jpg

• Like 8