Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

CentaurZ

Mercury Transits Sun - 2019 NOV 11

I've just discovered that you learn a great deal about pupil focal point on an EP when you hold up a mobile to get an afocal image.  However, I think I got it in some of these.  In fact I think these will be better than the DSLR

20191111_141953.jpg

20191111_141959.jpg

20191111_142000.jpg

20191111_141540.jpg

• Like 8

So far so good,weather sunny with occasional cloud. Mercury approx 1/3 across the sun now

• Like 1

At least I can honestly say, to date, I have visually viewed two Transits of Mercury and one of Venus. :icon_salut:

• Like 5

Managed a few minutes dodging clouds at work. My LS60 and a colleague with his PST.
Managed to see 'the dot' and show it to several colleagues. Most of whom had no idea what was going on.

Not exactly a huge public outreach, but at least something.

• Like 4

Managed a few pics today before the clouds set in. This was the first transit I've observed so was really interesting!

OI000042.jpg

OI000031.jpg

OI000032.jpg

• Like 9

We've had a good time here. A couple more clear patches have come through giving good views. We have shown quite a few passers by the transit, quite alot of interest which is great.

• Like 6

Finally.  Was beginning to give up.  Throwing it down 10 mins ago and then a large chunk of blue. 
GOT IT !! 
Went minimalist due to conditions. No scope but my Pentax 12 x50’s, Baader filters using my trigger grip on my Velbon monopod. 

John

• Like 2

I finally managed to get a few images. Had to move everything to the front "garden" as the sun had gone behind the houses and now my camera battery has died. Just having a look on my laptop now

DSC_4003.JPG

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Philip R said:

At least I can honestly say, to date, I have visually viewed two Transits of Mercury and one of Venus. :icon_salut:

Me too

John

• Like 1

Another little animation of the clouds.

Shame about the Newton's Rings

49048846288_768d6c4567_o.gif

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 3

Managed about 30 avi file's, sun gone behind houses for me at 3pm universal time. I'm freezing cold now after 2hrs of struggling with cloud, computer malfunction, completely dead pc and resorted to laptop. 

• Haha 1

Frustratingly the sun is shining again here low in the south-west with only a few clouds but I've already packed the scope away and it was just too cold to stand out any longer (as much as I'd like a few more pics!).

• Like 1

Well I'm chuffed, only the second time I've had the scope out this year!  Now I guess I can say I've seen mercury.

• Like 4

Happy here, the clouds finally parted here in East Devon, managed to get the binos out to see this event and grabbed a quick (blurry  😀) picture.

merc_2.jpg

Edited by TerryJ
  • Like 3

They talked about the transit at my son’s school today. He made it home just in time to see it 91A870F9-ACD1-46CF-AA36-C009ACDFE459.thumb.jpeg.7198ac8dd32131bb4dfaba48062c70cd.jpeg

• Like 13

Haven't we all had an exciting afternoon - mine was rounded off by all the boy sheep escaping to where they shouldn't be in the field!  Now all caught and hole in fence filled!

• Haha 3

I wonder when you put the amatuer-amatuers, like me, the professional amateurs like so many of you on the SGL, then the real professional scientists all over the world, just how many witnessed it?

First image through first hole in the cloud.

Dave

First-image.thumb.png.9ef415dc87c42917a920a3ede144b432.png

• Like 14

This is probably the best image I got. 

Skywatcher 200p canon 600d baader solar film. 

Single image at iso 100 1/25 second image

mercury transit4.jpg

• Like 7

Frustrating experience here in South Norfolk, but I did manage some fleeting views through clouds using my 15x70 bins with home made WL filters. Then later the sky cleared a bit so I had a go at imaging with one of the bino's WL filters hand held in front of my Nikon 200 zoom, camera also hand held. I had to experiment with ISO and exposure times, but eventually managed this, which is a stack of 2 images manually stacked in PS to improve contrast, then cropped....

836930034_MercuryTransit11Nov2019.jpg.9ad16e3eb3c1f397a34c75ce78860862.jpg

Clouds were still running across the lower edge of the Sun, but I'm pleased I got something, as not long later it was fully clouded over again.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 8

I scrolled down the page and saw lots of grey rectangles where the images hadn't loaded yet and thought "Yes, that's how it looked for me, too".

James

• Haha 10