Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mercury Transits Sun - 2019 NOV 11

CentaurZ

Managed a few minutes dodging clouds at work. My LS60 and a colleague with his PST.
Managed to see 'the dot' and show it to several colleagues. Most of whom had no idea what was going on.

Not exactly a huge public outreach, but at least something.

• Like 4

Finally.  Was beginning to give up.  Throwing it down 10 mins ago and then a large chunk of blue. 
GOT IT !! 
Went minimalist due to conditions. No scope but my Pentax 12 x50’s, Baader filters using my trigger grip on my Velbon monopod. 

John

• Like 2

Frustratingly the sun is shining again here low in the south-west with only a few clouds but I've already packed the scope away and it was just too cold to stand out any longer (as much as I'd like a few more pics!).

• Like 1

Happy here, the clouds finally parted here in East Devon, managed to get the binos out to see this event and grabbed a quick (blurry  😀) picture.

merc_2.jpg

Edited by TerryJ
  • Like 3

Frustrating experience here in South Norfolk, but I did manage some fleeting views through clouds using my 15x70 bins with home made WL filters. Then later the sky cleared a bit so I had a go at imaging with one of the bino's WL filters hand held in front of my Nikon 200 zoom, camera also hand held. I had to experiment with ISO and exposure times, but eventually managed this, which is a stack of 2 images manually stacked in PS to improve contrast, then cropped....

836930034_MercuryTransit11Nov2019.jpg.9ad16e3eb3c1f397a34c75ce78860862.jpg

Clouds were still running across the lower edge of the Sun, but I'm pleased I got something, as not long later it was fully clouded over again.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 8

Terrific views of the transit between 12 .50pm and 2.15pm through  a Hydrogen Alpha set up, with a large prom thrown in for good measure. There was some thin cloud about but mostly glorious sun.

We even had an Airliner cross the disc of the  Sun flying inverted ....most impressive :grin:

• Like 6