SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mercury Transits Sun - 2019 NOV 11

CentaurZ

Mercury will appear to transit the disk of the Sun on 2019 NOV 11 for observers in the Americas, Europe, Africa, Near East and New Zealand. This will be the last Mercury transit until 2032, and until 2049 for North Americans.

As with a Solar Eclipse, great care must be taken to protect eyes. If not accompanied by an expert in solar viewing, it may be wise to simply watch online live videos of the transit.

My graphic is for a fictional geocentric observer with X-ray vision. The timings are in Universal Time (UT) and will differ slightly by various amounts for topocentric observers.

Photos and descriptions of the transit would be welcome additions to my similar thread in the forum for Observing-Planetary.

MT-Geo-2019.JPG.a426ad510777b083c74d3bd8fa04ca11.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

The Astronomy Centre will be open all day for this event. Eclipse glasses will be handed out for safe naked eye viewing for the keen sighted, various telescopes with white light and Ha facility will be in operation as well as large format screening. A link from elsewhere will be used if cloudy.     😎

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

The Astronomy Centre will be open all day for this event. Eclipse glasses will be handed out for safe naked eye viewing for the keen sighted, various telescopes with white light and Ha facility will be in operation as well as large format screening. A link from elsewhere will be used if cloudy.     😎

I've taken the day off for this, and my intention is to head over to the astronomy centre, good to know there's an event -event on... undoubtedly a daft question but I assume your happy for visitors to bring their own scopes etc, or should u leave it home!?

I have the day booked off too. Hopefully the skies will be kind. Need to decide which mount to use, ideally I want both PST Mod and Tak on either the Sphinx or GPDX so I have tracking. Bit of a trial needed I think.

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I've taken the day off for this, and my intention is to head over to the astronomy centre, good to know there's an event -event on... undoubtedly a daft question but I assume your happy for visitors to bring their own scopes etc, or should u leave it home!?

Yes, very happy for others to bring their own telescopes.    😀

• Thanks 1

I've taken the day off work for this transit. 

The Venus transit in 2012 passed me by as it happened before I got back into astronomy, and there won't be another in my lifetime, so I want to observe as many Mercury transits as I can.

I'm fed up of missing things due to local weather so my reasoning is that I'm going to drive to wherever (within reason) has a clear sky forecast so that I can see it.

Could well be a very early start for me.

Ade

• Like 1

I'm on a 12 hour day shift. I don't get leave outside of my rota so only sickness, compassionate leave or a shift swap to choose from. Shift swaps are a source of great angst in the workforce so I'll be in work!

Planning on getting a full aperture solar filter for my 127 Mak. I'm sure I'll get a chance to get a look if the weather permits. I don't take formal breaks so I have some considerable flexibility providing that there isn't some crisis in progress.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 18:21, Stu said:

I have the day booked off too. Hopefully the skies will be kind. Need to decide which mount to use, ideally I want both PST Mod and Tak on either the Sphinx or GPDX so I have tracking. Bit of a trial needed I think.

I'm hoping to dual mount the LS60 and ST102 with wedge onto the new AZ Pro.

Hopefully I'll have received the replacement mini-pier in time, otherwise its an expensive mount that I can't fit to anything.

Edited by AdeKing
more info.

Observed the last Mercury transit when we visited Minorca. I used an Opticron 75mm spotting telescope with a Seymour solar filter. Several hotel guests shared the view aswell. 

16 hours ago, AdeKing said:

I'm fed up of missing things due to local weather so my reasoning is that I'm going to drive to wherever (within reason) has a clear sky forecast so that I can see it.

What a good idea, hadn't even thought of that! I've got the day off too so will 'be mobile' and do my best to cat h it somewhere.

• Like 1

I originally booked the afternoon off and then realised I would probably get snarled up in work all day if I try that so I've booked the whole day.

I can drive but knowing my luck I'll need a private jet to reach clear skies!

1 hour ago, Tubby Bear said:

Remember we in the UK will only see the first three quarters of this event as the sun will set while the transit is still in progress.

Just checked and i'm working 08:00-17:00

Thats no good. I'll have to have a day off.

That is a good point well made. The Sun will be quite low anyway. May be worth planning an observing site in advance for those with poor horizons or time limited viewing window.

I have taken the day off too, unfortunately I am UT +3 hours here so will only get the first couple of hours.

But, it will almost certainly be clear so looking forward to getting some good images (well, as good as I can produce with my limited abilities and equipment)

46 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

It will likely be my final chance (next one is 2032). 2016 event was clouded out, so really hopeful. Still, I got to see the 2004 Venus transit in glorious sunshine, so unicorns do exist ...

If it's cloudy this time I may be here for the next one, I'd be 73,lol. It'll also give me time to save up for that 6inch lunt, I wish, lol. 

I've got a home-made Baader solar full apperture filter for the 200P that I keep safe in a special box - I reckon I could use that and my solar finder and stand a chance of seeing mercury go across the sun with a suitable EP - I shall be at home on the 11th and could easily pop outside if it was sunny for a few minutes at lunchtime if I had things set-up.

4 minutes ago, JOC said:

I've got a home-made Baader solar full apperture filter for the 200P that I keep safe in a special box - I reckon I could use that and my solar finder and stand a chance of seeing mercury go across the sun with a suitable EP - I shall be at home on the 11th and could easily pop outside if it was sunny for a few minutes at lunchtime if I had things set-up.

Yep, that would do the trick :)

• Like 1