Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

summer triangle lite

Lucky enough to have a clear night and in a bortle 4/3 site, I was in Guernsey. I would have imaged East but that faced the airport and the lights were still on creating a bit of a light dome so I faced South but above a lone house light otherwise there were no lights, what a change for me.

Slightly higher in the sky then I wanted to point but above the lone light, cottage gable and tree line. I forgot to pack my red dot finder so camera aiming was more of a challenge and I used a gorilla tripod and controlled and focused the camera using DSLR Controller on my phone. I took a gamble as I could not move the histogram off the left edge unless I left the lens wide open and 1600 ISO is the max I can use before lots of noise shows. Canon 1100d with pancake 24mm at f2.8 and 10 second exposure as anything more and the trails were just too noticeable due to the direction and elevation. Unfortunately this lens is not as good as the 40mm pancake lens as it has very poor corner control so next time I will either use the 40mm or take the vintage Takumar 50mm f2 as it is much better.

I took 122 light frames and flats, dark flats, bias and master bias as dark. Stacking; I tried a mix with varying degrees of cropping before processing in StarTools and a final HLVG medium strength in PaintShopPro, I settled splitting the 122 files into three batches with the middle frame of each batch as the reference frame, I then took each stacked fits files into StarTools and first cropped then binned 50% before processing further. Final stitching was done using ICE. Any tiff to png conversion I like using irfanview, I find this free program a great resource.

Why 'summer tingle lite' because I managed Vega, Altair but Sadr (not Deneb) though with the slight crop on the stacks has trimmed off Altair.

Autosave001 grp1-3_stitch HLVG.png

Naked eye observing was lovely the Milky Way was so clear to see.

My plan for next time remember to use my other lens and the red dot finder, then take at least 60 lights of each triangle star and process the stacks, then use ICE to stitch.

• Like 9