Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to connect to "New" USB version of AZ-EQ6 PRO

Dear All,

I have a new version of the SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 PRO.  This has a USB-B port on the mount.  II would ideally like to use it from a mac, however PC would be fine at this point.

I cant seem to get the computer to see the mount from EQmod. 

I've downloaded and installed the motor controller driver (https://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/)

But I plug in, and I can see the mount on COM3 on the ControlPanel > Device Mangler > USB

However, I cant see COM3 on anything else.  EQMOD gives me a mount dialogue box, but in the com port I cant see or type in COM3.

Finally, the mount does work directly with the Sky watcher prog (https://skywatcher.com/download/software/synscan-app/) on the PC.

Hope anyone has solved this problem.  I can only see info on connecting via aRJ45 socket etc, but now with the modern times, there is a USB socket, so no need for the extra lead?

Cheerio,

Dave

• Like 1

Dave, I have gone through the same setup process as you and have the same problem..................it's driving me mad.

Alan has a point, but i'm not sure if my com port is real? please see attached screenshot.

Kevin.

Screenshot (10).png

Kevin,

Yours looks correct, being in the 'Ports' section. The USB type COM ports aren't 'real' COM ports as such, but simulate COM ports to any device that expects to see one. Just to confirm that the COM4 in your screenshot listing is your mount, just unplug and replug it and it should disappear and come back.

Does the USB mount possibly not use the default 9600 baud rate. You may need to change it in Eqmod to match or change the COM port speed in the device manager 'Properties\Port Settings' to 9600. Also check it's listed as 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, flow control none.

Alan

Edited by symmetal

59 minutes ago, StarDodger said:

I didn’t think that EQMOD worked over USB, but only via the handset port... but of course I may be wrong

I assume themount USB socket connects to a EQDirect module internally rather than having it built in to the cable like other mounts.

Alan

The Mount USB port is used for normal Ascom communication apparantly. This quote from the CN forum linked above seems to be how to get it to work.

After two full days of research and trial and error, It came down to two things for my set up

1- The only port baud rate that worked was 115200. So put that on both the pc and EQmod driver settings.
2- Any app that calls the EQmod ASCOM telescope driver (ASCOM HEQ5/6) had to be run as administrator

With those 2 settings APT, PHD2, SharCap, and Stellariumscope plugin worked all at the same time thru ASCOM.

There doesn't seem to any manual or instructions that references the USB connector.

Alan

Hmmm,

Thanks for the replies folks. I've still no progress...

The USB port on the mount works fine when I use the Synscan app on the PC, so it must be capable of working, and it might follow that the hardware drivers are fine for windows.

In device mangler, unplugging makes COM3 disappear. Alan, the baud is 9600 and all default settings for a serial connection.

I have tried changing baud on EQMod, but none of the values work.

I'll try that running as administrator stuff and see where that gets me...

Cheerio,

Dave

Thanks Kevin,

by the whole suite, is that all the bits on:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/eq-mod/files/

image.thumb.png.82cdcf6a45511dcffb99e7ccca07918c.png  

The download numbers suggest people only get the first two.

I have them all but didnt install the PEC stuff yet, or the satellite tracker..

I'll stick it all on for good measure and see if that solves my woes...

Cheers again for the adivce...

Dave

• 6 months later...
On 04/09/2019 at 21:36, symmetal said:

The Mount USB port is used for normal Ascom communication apparantly. This quote from the CN forum linked above seems to be how to get it to work.

There doesn't seem to any manual or instructions that references the USB connector.

Alan

Alan, Thanks for your post here. I was also searching for days and I played with USB port settings a lot but did not tryout all options. Hard to believe that this solution is not so easy to find. I thought the problem is my Mac running boot camp with Win 10 and equipped with USB-C ports only. 

Peter

I hope you can solve your issue.

I am using an old laptop with Win 7, and it is working great, i don't know know if you are using the Mac or using Windows or what exactly, but what kind of cable are you using anyway?

I only used the first two as well from EQMOD page, although i downloaded most of those but i didn't bother with it.

Thanks for this thread @Dave_ . It prompted me to try connecting my laptop to my AZ-EQ6 GT Pro with an old USB printer cable. Tonight I could only get it to work using the Synscan App + driver...

I'm wondering whether one of these leads would be the solution:-
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

Cheers
Ivor

1 hour ago, Aramcheck said:

Thanks for this thread @Dave_ . It prompted me to try connecting my laptop to my AZ-EQ6 GT Pro with an old USB printer cable. Tonight I could only get it to work using the Synscan App + driver...

I'm wondering whether one of these leads would be the solution:-
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

Cheers
Ivor

The solution? I have this since 2017 when i started for the first time ever into AP and it works like a charm, in fact i did buy the cable again but the longer one 2 years ago or last year can't remember and kept it as backup only, i don't know what i will do without it, I AM VERY VERY HAPPY with this cable for my AZ-EQ6 mount, it was tricky first time, but the time will teach anyone anyway ..... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

• Thanks 1

I have a USB B port on the SynScan controller. Plug the cable into the hand control, not on the mount. Do not use the utility function "PC Direct Mode". This works with EQMOD (Windows) and Stellarium on both OS X and Windows. I got my mount yesterday, so I have only done limited testing so far.

I'm running EKOS on a Mac and it will only connect (USB to Handset) if PCDirect is enabled. EKOS set to EQMOD.

I remember trying the other settings in EKOS linking USB directly to mount and couldn't get any connection. Wonder if it works through a Pegasus Astro or similar box.