Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My 2.2m dome arrived today

tooth_dr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My used pulsar dome came with the Shelyak system. I didn’t check this before I bought it, and was expecting the panel that is on their website.

Sinces it going to be entirely PC controlled I don’t really need the control panel I guess.

I have a large box of wires and no instructions, and no idea basically so looking for pointers on getting both hardware and software setup 😣

I would like the dome tracking the scope for imaging, including after MFs, and shutter control at any point of dome rotation in case it rains. 

AA08561A-9851-4179-A885-AE9F40C82A5E.jpeg

6AF27EC9-BF5E-47BB-AFAE-5E124B416AD7.jpeg

8CCE9C55-D782-4B96-A54A-16D0AC539596.jpeg

Well, you have a lot more to go on than my second hand Pulsar dome, given that mine came with zip automation.😊

I see you have an RS232 serial port on your control system, so I would keep the existing set up (assuming it still works), and interface your PC to it. Somebody out there hopefully will have a copy of the original control software as a quick way to get it up and running.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, tomato said:

Well, you have a lot more to go on than my second hand Pulsar dome, given that mine came with zip automation.😊

I see you have an RS232 serial port on your control system, so I would keep the existing set up (assuming it still works), and interface your PC to it. Somebody out there hopefully will have a copy of the original control software as a quick way to get it up and running.

Thanks, definitely a good start having all the kit.

I think @Xsubmariner might use the system, the username up on a google search 

8 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

Hi tooth-dr,

I have the same control system and controllers working on my Pulsar dome. Do you have the wireless interface for the shutter control?

I dont know. I bought the dome last September and it’s been sitting in my garage since.  I didn’t know about the wireless upgrade so I didn’t ask at the time.

Its very reassuring to hear you have the same system and it works. 

The dome system works fine, aligns then tracks the dome slot to the telescope once you have set up the environment geometry file in the driver configuration settings.  It took me some time to install and configure the drivers and setup the data correctly for the first time, when rebuilding the dome. Like you, I acquired mine in bits second hand.

There are key points during the dome rebuild where special attention to detail is needed to ensure the system works smoothly and effectively. I had to deconstruct my dome section after the first reconstruction to ensure a better fit.

Might I suggest you ensure your dismantled observatory bits are stored safely and are not stressed, they can distort and will be a pain when rebuilding.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xsubmariner said:

Might I suggest you ensure your dismantled observatory bits are stored safely and are not stressed, they can distort and will be a pain when rebuilding. 

Thanks. This was a concern of mine, and as such I have the four walls assembled on the floor in the circle shape.  It’s taken over most of the garage so looking forward to getting the space back. 

• Thanks 1

Great to hear, I will dig out my notes and old records and will provide some guidance and links for assembling the kit when you are ready. Having looked at your kit photos, I would suggest it is worth cleaning up the electronics board it would also be best to relocate the shelyak controller so that the connectors are not subjected to rubbish. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Xsubmariner said:

Great to hear, I will dig out my notes and old records and will provide some guidance and links for assembling the kit when you are ready. Having looked at your kit photos, I would suggest it is worth cleaning up the electronics board it would also be best to relocate the shelyak controller so that the connectors are not subjected to rubbish. 

Cheers. It’s how it came when I bought it, and has been dry stored since sept, will definitely be tidied prior to installation.  Just a few spider carcasses, cobwebs and spider poop 💩 

I have a new 12v battery ordered for the shutter as the current one is not charging.

I might be over looking it, but I can’t see the Shelyak Ascom driver on the Ascom site.

13 minutes ago, Xsubmariner said:

On another point, might I suggest it is worth relocating this post to the observatory section. Your call.

That’s a good call, maybe see if I can get it merged with my observatory thread  

A point of note when you clean your drive unit, check the cabling between the motor control board and motors. Mine caused problems when I initiated the system, the solder used seemed prone to corrosion and I had to re-solder the connections.  These  domes do suffer damp (condensation not ingress), which is a pain.

If you have Dropbox I could post all the relevant software and scan in my circuit diagrams, then when you are ready to install contact me and we can arrange facetime or something, to help guide you through the process.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xsubmariner said:

A point of note when you clean your drive unit, check the cabling between the motor control board and motors. Mine caused problems when I initiated the system, the solder used seemed prone to corrosion and I had to re-solder the connections.  These  domes do suffer damp (condensation not ingress), which is a pain.

If you have Dropbox I could post all the relevant software and scan in my circuit diagrams, then when you are ready to install contact me and we can arrange facetime or something, to help guide you through the process.

Not off to a great start.

Couple of wires seem to be out of their connectors.

A black on that comes from the power switch (behind what I labelled 1 and 3) and a thin blue wire.

It all seems pretty fragile.  Would you happen to know where they go?

78096EA7-0185-4995-BF9B-774E3B01A659.jpeg

5FEA57BE-FC31-4987-B607-21620674F774.jpeg

Yep, as I suspected the cabling in these units is a little fragile. Great news, looks like you have the wireless connectivity for shutter control, the tx module in the motor drive unit automatically talks to the shutter drive module.

I have a solar panel mounted on the bottom of the dome shutter that feeds through to the controller which then charges my motor battery. This way there is no awkward wiring to interfere with the dome rotation. 

It’s a little hostile outside at the moment, I will look at my setup tomorrow and give you the heads up on wiring configuration. I will also take some pictures that show the completed installation points.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Xsubmariner said:

Yep, as I suspected the cabling in these units is a little fragile. Great news, looks like you have the wireless connectivity for shutter control, the tx module in the motor drive unit automatically talks to the shutter drive module.

I have a solar panel mounted on the bottom of the dome shutter that feeds through to the controller which then charges my motor battery. This way there is no awkward wiring to interfere with the dome rotation. 

It’s a little hostile outside at the moment, I will look at my setup tomorrow and give you the heads up on wiring configuration. I will also take some pictures that show the completed installation points.

Thank you so much again. Yes I have a solar panel here too.

The guy I bought it off kindly dismantled and delivered it himself, but I didn’t see before purchase and I wasn’t even here when it arrived.  So it’s all guess work. There are holes in the panels for the controllers.

08961A35-3AF8-4EB6-B9DC-9BF45E47FFE2.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

This is a very good point - well made!

2 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

Adam, this is great news that you have an existing user of the Shelyak system to assist you!

• Like 1

Hi tooth-dr,

To start your journey with dome automation here are a couple of links to a useful blog for setting up the test software:

http://little beck.org.uk/?p=1043

http://little beck.org.uk/?p=1056

I have the software you will need and the drivers.

12 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

Hi tooth-dr,

To start your journey with dome automation here are a couple of links to a useful blog for setting up the test software:

http://little beck.org.uk/?p=1043

http://little beck.org.uk/?p=1056

I have the software you will need and the drivers.

Thanks again. I’ve had a read through those. 

Here are some diagrams and pictures of fit. As you can see your disconnected cables are from the first connector and are the -be leads to your shutter tx module and motor control board. My kit has the tx module located in a different position.

CAD08EBF-1492-491A-A83E-63C7C11728F8.jpeg

3162E460-73FE-42AF-A189-6D770E8E0738.jpeg

84F49E8D-2C8F-4CEF-BB00-19BE2816AC83.jpeg

B0AD2833-0511-4A94-A5A5-B85577110351.jpeg

9E14AAD1-3239-4508-892E-2B2EF3B17C21.jpeg

C0B8F4B4-226C-4FA9-8032-66B981C71892.jpeg

• Like 1

That's very helpful, I cant thank you enough.  My connector looks to be wired in a slightly differently but based on your diagram position 1 as you say.

To avoid any cockups, can you confirm both wires go into the arrows connector space.

image.thumb.png.f0aeb68fa6bbd9c915accad1aa936af1.png

My wiring only looks different because my shutter control Tx module I mounted in a different place not next to the board as in your fit. The 2 disconnected wires are the -ve leads for the Tx module and motor board, mine are in the first connector as you have shown.