Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
ruskclark

The Wizard Nebula 432mm ASI1600MC Pro

The Wizard Nebula

An emission nebula 7,200 light years away and my first proper project of the new imaging year. 

Really happy with it as I’ve had a steep learning curve with new kit so really pleased to see this image come together. It’s also the first time I’ve imaged it. 

72x180s subs collected over 2 nights 24/25th August in my Bortle 7 back garden, Whitley Bay, England

Calibrated with darks, flats and dark flats in DSS and processed in SiriL and Photoshop. 

Lacerta 72mm f/6 APO
ZWO ASI1600MC Pro at -15C gain 200
iOptron CEM25p
ZWO 60mm guide scope
ZWO ASI120MM-S guide camera
Altair Astro 2” Tri Band OSC Filter

Data collected in APT and guided with PHD2

2ED13FC4-4081-4E28-9A15-6162B63B33CC.jpeg

• Like 5

Lovely shot always reminds me of Rick Wakeman surrounded by keyboards, where is this in the sky?

Alan

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Lovely shot always reminds me of Rick Wakeman surrounded by keyboards, where is this in the sky?

Alan

Thanks Alan, Wizard Nebula is at the Cygnus end of Cepheus, it's an area rich in small Ha gems like this one.

7 minutes ago, ruskclark said:

Thanks Alan, Wizard Nebula is at the Cygnus end of Cepheus, it's an area rich in small Ha gems like this one.

Must have a look for that one, Cygnus is right over head here.

Alan

1 minute ago, alan potts said:

Must have a look for that one, Cygnus is right over head here.

Alan

The below should help orientate you. 

6000EF7E-BE39-4A53-A9CE-CC3CEB0059B1.png

41 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Alan

I would never have thought of that but now you have said it I can see it 🙂 

Steve

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By feverdreamer1
      Hi,
      After several years in the photography world I decided to take a plunge into astrophotography, haven taken pictures of the moon, I now plan to capture DSO, unfortunately, I live in a bortle 6/7, and was planning to shoot orions nebula but found out it stays below the horizon for the summer. This is why I turn to the forum: are there any DSO that can be easily captured with a DSLR, a tripod and some software like sequator, and that is visible in  summer too? Ideally if it can be near the zenith it would be best, due to the annoying sodium light streets.
      Also if you could post some images of DSO taken with a DSLR and a tripod ( and software of course)that would help me make an idea of what I should expect.
      The camera I plan on using is an old canon eos 550d, without any modifications.
      Thanks in advance,
      S
    • By etunar
      I have been doing this for many years using  a star adventurer with a canon 6d  and different lenses upto 200mm from dark sky locations.
      I wanted to get proper scope and EQ mount for a while but I didn’t think it was worth it shooting from the cloudy UK and I didn’t realise bortle 5 skies were good enough for it. After realising I was wrong I bought a HEQ5 and WO zs61. (I wanted a relatively small scope to begin with). 

next thing I want to get is a dedicated astro camera. And of course going mono makes the most sense. Coming from a landscape photography world, bigger sensor is always better. However this is where I get lost a bit. According to the ccd calculator on astronomy tools website asi183mm pro is the best match for my scope (1.38 arc sec / pixel). Next option would be asi1600mm pro with a resolution of 2.18arc sec / pixel. However I’m slightly worried about this microlensing/reflection issue. Using a relatively wide scope, I may not be able to avoid bright stars all the time. And I know it would bug me if it happened.
      i know zwo released new cameras recently but asi6200 is way out of my budget. 

I can probably justify the cost of asi2600 (also 2.15 arc sec/pixel) . I know it’s an OSC and not mono, but the specs seem promising and I know few people mentioned the possibility of using this with narrowband filters. It’s still a relatively new camera so not a whole lot of information on it unfortunately but everyone who had one seems to like it. It would be interesting to compare this setup with a asi1600 for example. 

- So is the asi183 really the best choice? Or slight under sampling is not an issue?
      - asi1600 vs asi2600? 

- I assume it’s still a big jump to go from a full frame dslr to a set point cooled OSC with a smaller sensor? 
    • By alexbb
      I've been less active lately in this hobby, but I've a few images done, others waiting in the pipeline to be processed.
      This is a "crowded" area of our Milky Way galaxy, visible all summer from the northern hemisphere. The Cygnus constellation is home of many named and nameless nebulae.
      Starting from the left (North), below the brightest star, Deneb, the Pelican and the North America Nebulae are very popular; going to right, just below the brightest star close to the center of the image, Sadr, lies the Gamma Cygni Nebula. A bit towards the top-right there's the Crescent Nebula and going forward top-right, there's the Tulip Nebula. Finally, at the bottom-right corner, the Veil Nebula, a super nova remnant.
      All these are surrounded by shiny gaseous filaments or dusty patches blocking the light.
      I started this during the pandemic lockdown. All of the data was captured from my hometown from a balcony brightly lit by a sodium street lamp, but the narrowband filters did their job well, blocking successfully the sodium emission.
      A total of 23 hours is made of 2x3 panels composed in a larger mosaic, each panel consisting in about 1h of exposure for the red Hydrogen and 3h of exposure for the cyan Oxigen, all through a Sigma 105 macro stopped at F/4, ASI1600MMC with 6nm Astronomik filters.
      I'm planning to shoot RGB data too and make an RGB/HOO composition.
      Cheers and clear skies!

astrobin link: https://www.astrobin.com/r22yre/
      flickr link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/170274755@N05/49939128338/

• By trunting
      I've been having another crack at DSO imaging lately, and I've managed to produce this from 6 hours of integration: 
      I'm quite pleased with it but I'm very new to image processing, so I'd be incredibly grateful if someone wouldn't mind having a go at processing my data!

Image Info:
      Lights: 46x4min + 66x3min  Stacked with Dark, Flat and Bias frames Stacked in DSS and processed in GIMP Taken under Bortle 7/8 skies Gear:
      SkyWatcher ED80 0.85x Reducer Astro-Modified EOS 600D ZWO ASI 120MM Mini Guide Camera with 9x50 Finderscope HEQ5 Pro Mount There's some dust bunnies and other artefacts on the image that I know I could spend more time removing, however I'm wondering if I'm doing my data justice in processing!
      Thanks, Tom
      NGC7023 (2).TIF

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.