Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first sunspot!!

Victor Boesen

with my own telescope and filter that is...

I recently purchased the skywatcher evostar 72 as a travel-scope/grab-and-go scope and it hasn't disappointed my what so ever! I also made my own custom 3D-printed solar filter, which I've tried a couple of times, but as soon as I found out a small sunspot had emerged on the sun I had to try and observe it. As the sky cleared up as I got home from school today I quickly went outside. I knew the size of AR2748(the name of the sunspot group) was really small so I questioned my ability to see the spot through my 72mm frac. Going to 90X and focusing on the solar limb with my OIII filter(I feel like it improves contrast/instead of buying green filter) in place I suddenly noticed a small dark spot of the surface. I studied the spot for a little while and I believe I could se what looked like two smaller spots fading from it just to the left of the main spot.

I'm really curious on how large this current spot is compared to the size of Mercury when it transits the sun the 11th of November? I'm really excited to observe some larger spots and groups as soon as the sun starts showing more activity.

Clear skies!

Victor

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

I'm really excited to observe some larger spots and groups as soon as the sun starts showing more activity.

And you will, Victor, I’m sure. But we must be patient in the meantime. 🤞