Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clip-in filter?

GlenM

I'm looking for a little help as I'm new to AP, in fact very new. Is it worth picking up a clip-in LP filter for my new Canon 200D unmodified camera? I know visually a Baader Moon and Skyglow really helps. Is there a AP equivalent?

Thank you,

Glen.

As a beginner myself, and after hours of research, I've found as much people for and against LP filters. Some swear by it, some claim post-processing does a better job.

The general consensus seems to be "it depends". It seems that LP filters actually work best under moderately polluted skies, but in heavily polluted cities, the effect is less obvious on a DSLR. Plus, some filters really mess with the white balance, and it's another thing to take care of in post-processing (and it's not the simplest!).

My advice: forget about LP filters for now. They definitely aren't magical tools, and there are so many things you need to learn anyway. I would do it step by step, and learn how to process LP first.

If you're a Photoshop user, there's a great plugin called GradientXterminator that can help you get rid of the LP gradients :)  Otherwise, I believe software programs such as PixInsight have similar functionalities.

Just my 2 cents of course! :) 

• Like 2

You can try DeepSkyStacker, it is free (but only works on Windows). It's not as advanced as some other software, but to get started it works great, and there are lots of tutorials available on the internet.

Usually interesting plugins are only available for Photoshop, not similar software. But that doesn't mean you can't simulate what they do in Affinity, it might just be some additional work!

Anyway, to get started, I would say that DeepSkyStacker and any software like Affinity should work just fine :) 

Sorry I can't comment on APP, as I've never used it, but it's also used by lots of people. I'm sure someone here can give you some tips!

Hi
I use the SkyTech CLS clip-in and now swear by it.
You definately benefit from "darker" dark regions and colours do seem to be more vibrant.
As always more data is going to render a better image, but I do think this is more true when using filters.

Clear skies
MJ

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GlenM said:

Would it be better just buy APP instead from the start instead of learning DSS then switching? This old brain can only take so much abuse.

Glen.

Give the 30 day trial version a go before committing to buy.

Peter

• Like 1

On 06/09/2019 at 15:07, GlenM said:

Would it be better just buy APP instead from the start instead of learning DSS then switching?

APP is a complete pre and post processing package and is almost unrivalled with the way it deals with mosaics. DSS is preprocessing only and exceptional value if used alongside something like or equivalent to Photoshop. I ‘rent’ my APP and use it for nearly every preprocessing task - I think it is excellent. I post process in PixInsight and then colour tweak in PS. 

• Like 1