Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

With several clear nights over the past week,  I've been playing with the Synscan Pro app (Android) in conjunction with a Synscan WiFi adapter on an EQ3Pro mount.  I have to say I'm generally quite impressed.  Much cheaper than buying a traditional handset.  

However,  this evening I was trying to "creep up" on the Andromeda Galaxy by star hopping towards it via Mirach,  Mu Andromedae and Nu Andromedae.  Mirach was no problem but the other stars were not available for selection in the app.  Am I missing something?  I couldn't find any way to enter an SAO number or any other catalogue number to find the minor stars.  

Is this a limitation of the app?  Or the adapter perhaps?  Or is it me? 

Clear skies, 

Mark. 

Hello Mark,

I have a couple of mounts with Synscan handsets. As I understand it, the WiFi version has similar facilities and user interface. The star database is limited; the named stars tend to be only the brightest ones in each constellation, and limited to "named". This may get you to the epsilon or zeta stars, but unlikely to stretch to mu or nu.

However, if I want to find the Andromeda Galaxy, I go for the "M" option (button 4 on my handset) and enter "31".

Geoff

Thanks Geoff

I did use the M31 option to get there finally but its so faint under Bortle 8 skies that I wanted to get there step-wise via clearly visible and identifiable stars.  M31 ends up being just a faint smudge and I need to be sure that the smudge I can see is the one in the sky rather than just one on my glasses! 👓

Mark

You can install and use skysafari plus (although it's a paid app).

You first connect to the mount and then align (1-2-3 star alignment) using Synscan app pro, and then you can use skysafari to get to every target you want. It works very well with my DIY wifi adapter.

Yes, as above I use the App in conjunction with Sky Safari on my iPad and it is an excellent set up. You could easily star hop that way.

Thanks Chris and Old Timer

I did try using Sky Safari 6 Plus and it worked when it worked.  By which I mean that running Sky Safari on my Android tablet with Synscan Pro running on my phone would work for 10 or 15 minutes before Sky Safari lost connection.  I'll be playing with this again this week (with or without clear skies) to see if I can make the connection more robust.

I agree this seems like the best way to go forward.

Mark

You can use both Synscan pro app and skysafari running simultaneously at the same android device (that means your android tablet if you have an apple phone).

The lost connection you mention, is triggered most of the times, because of the screen save mode (sleep). While skysafari has an option to prevent sleep mode, Synscan pro app doesn't. But you can change the screen sleep mode from your device's general settings.

I tried it this evening with options for both apps set to prevent android putting them to sleep.  Still didn't maintain a connection; as old timer said,  sleep mode kicked in and caused the connection to drop.  However,  with the help of an app called "Stay Alive!" Sleep mode can be effectively disabled for both Synscan Pro and Sky Safari and then it all works beautifully. 

Waiting for the clouds to go away again now. 

Mark. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NeilDMunro
      Hi,
      I have been attempting to update my SynScan V3 Hand Controller from V3.08 to latest version. Handset bootloader is V1.7.
      Unfortunately I just get the message “Can not connect to SynScan hand control”. I have looked at numerous forums and tried everything that has been suggested (including older versions of firmware installer), but getting nowhere.
      I am using a Skywatcher SynScan USB Adapter (purchased from Bristol Cameras) and installed the driver from the Skywatcher website. The adapter shows in the COM ports and says it is working properly.
      I have tried different computers (Win10 and XP) with no joy.
      Can anyone help, or is there anyone in North Aberdeenshire that has successfully updated their handset willing to give mine a go (once travel restrictions, etc ease)?
      Thanks
    • By stevewanstall
      Messier 57 is is just coming into a position for a decent look around 11 30 pm. IT is a colourful object and I thought it would give me a good target with which to practice my colour developing in PS/Lightroom. I have read so much about how to produce a LRGB image from the four stacked/calibrated luminance, red, blue and green images,  a lot seems contradicatory and some, when followed, gave me colour yes, but not as we know it. I am sure a fair chunk must be put down to me. Anyway, I now have a work flow which gives me colour, sometimes resembling what other people have obtained. Progess of sorts.
      This images is based on 114s subs at gain 139, offset 21.
      L 39, R 20, G 20, B 19
      Calibrated  and stacked in DSS (flats, dark flats and darks)
      Messier 57 Ring Nebula in Lyra

NASA: M57, or the Ring Nebula, is a planetary nebula, the glowing remains of a sun-like star. The tiny white dot in the centre of the nebula is the star’s hot core, called a white dwarf. M57 is about 2,000 light-years away in the constellation Lyra, and is best observed during August. Discovered by the French astronomer Antoine Darquier de Pellepoix in 1779, the Ring Nebula has an apparent magnitude of 8.8 and can be spotted with moderately sized telescopes.
      Equipment: Celestron 9.25 XLT at F10,  Skywatcher EQ6 Pro GEM, ZWO 1600MM Pro, ZWO EFW with ZWO LRGB filters, QHY5IIC guide camera on Skywatcher 9 x 50 finderscope, Celestron Focus Motor
      Software: Ascom 6, Eqmod, Cartes du Ciel, AstroPhotography Tool, PHD2

• By Gevorg
      Hello!
      I am trying to setup the Skywatcher MC 102/1300 SkyMax BD AZ-S GoTo telescope+mount.
      What I did:
      Start from parking mode. The telescope is aligned to north. Turned it on and aligned with 2 stars. During the alignment the tracking is turning on all the time and moving the telescope position. Then when I try to go to some star the north/south motion never ends. While the East/West motion stops at right location. This is really wild to me. Can someone help with understanding what is the problem ?

Thanks,
      Gevorg.
    • By SteveBz
      Hi Guys,
      Wim has wisely persuaded me to go for an eqdir cable from my RPi to my SynScan controller. I currently have a usb:db9 + db9:st4 setup to the SynScan handset (ie 3 cables connected). Can I just change the db9 to st4 to a db9:Rj45 or similar? Eg:
       https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201608325158
      Plus an old ethernet cable? Ie does the pinout of an ethernet cable correspond to the pinout of the SynScan controller handset socket?
      Regards
      Steve.

• By laks20
      Hello 
      I have a telescope -SkyWatcher Explorer-130P SupaTrak Newtonian Reflector auto Telescope  and it has a  heavy duty tracking device ( pic attached). I have had this scope for a few years and did pretty much basic with this and never understood how to use this device. I have the time now to spend with the scope during this social distancing time and I am totally unaware of how to efficiently use the tracking. I know how to move up, down, left and right. I don't think it has wifi and it looks very basic ...please can someone explain how to set this up. Pleaseeeeee can someone help .......I have searched everywhere but I can't find any material on this.
      Also , If i buy SynScan ( with wifi ) will it work with my scope? Thanks in advance xx

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.