Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Yep. but there was no practical way of saving anything,

• Like 1

I think you have a point there particularly as I have gone over to CMOS sensors and hundreds of short exposures, added to a bigger sensor with a lot more pixels than I had when I was using Atik cameras.  My data capture has gone up ten times or more!  I do have a 6TB NAS though.

Here there's a lot of of light coloured cloud, last night CO forecast clear, now it's 60% + however the Met office says it'll clear from around 9pm onwards so yeah... 🤷‍♂️

Blue sky ATM, took some time to capture a set of Hydrogen flats in readiness for tonight. Will see how they stack up (Double Entendre intended) later.

• Like 1

Blue sky with a few bits of white wispy cloud here.  White above but grey on the horizon, in fact.  Turning pink now.

Don't like that red in the middle of my imaging run!!  But don't believe forecasts anyway so I'm going for it.  Just didn't feel like imaging yesterday but better today.

48813946_Screenshotfrom2019-11-0816-29-38.png.618164e90c52b81afa5a1bc86678563f.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gina said:

I'm wondering if 2 or 3 sets of these might help with my mud problem.

We have quite a few of them and they work ok.  I'm not sure if a single row would do the job though.  I think more width might be required to help spread weight out over a larger area.

James

• Thanks 1

Yes, when they seemed to be a metre wide I thought that was fine but 500mm seems rather narrow.

Just been out and opened the ROR.  Sky appears clear - clear, bright moon and feels cold.  No dew as yet.  Put lens cap on and about to grab some Darks at -30°C.

Darks under way.  100m plus download time...

I have about an hour before I am off to swim training with my daughter.  I might try to set something up to run for the couple of hours I'm not here.  I'm thinking something like the Heart/Soul/Fish Head/Pacman in Ha.  Just need to find some information on sizes so I can work out how they'll fit on the sensor.

James

• Like 1

-30°C is only using 80% camera cooling so I reckon I could do -35°C.

Trying 30s Darks at -35°C but it's struggling and only managing -34°C.  Maybe I should be satisfied with -30°C though I expect the ambient to drop further yet.

Nothing here but rain and clouds so far, not looking promising...

• Sad 1

I've set up for 3 hours on Melotte 15 in HII, 600 sec subs. I already have 20 Flats ready. My Trius runs better with Bias only, I think Darks just muddy things.

• Like 2

The forecast clear period here has split into two -- from now until 10pm and then midnight until 4am.  I'll have a look to see how things are when I get back from the pool, but for the moment I am collecting 15 minute Ha subs on the Pacman and 10 minute Ha subs on the Fish Head.

James

• Like 2

OK, first sub in looks reasonable though I expect to be running Gradient Removal during processing. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JamesF said:

The forecast clear period here has split into two -- from now until 10pm and then midnight until 4am.  I'll have a look to see how things are when I get back from the pool, but for the moment I am collecting 15 minute Ha subs on the Pacman and 10 minute Ha subs on the Fish Head.

James

Same as here then!  CO says 35% cloud here but not a cloud in sight (unless it's hiding low in the west where my view is blocked).

• Like 1

I've got green until 22.00, then it's two blocks of red and a block of orange, green again from 01.00 but I may not be awake to see it.

• Like 1

I may stay up.  Don't have to get up early in the morning.

Taking images of Heart & Soul in Ha.  Found target in KStars and slewed to it then used plate solving to get spot on.

• Like 1

30s sub tweaked a bit and scaled in GIMP

Heart_Light_H_Alpha_30_secs_2019-11-08T19-06-31_008a.png.a27f3ef108478bd3fbe6b6cc0e54d3e2.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Cloudy here, and no green showing on CO.  Some breaks have just appeared so I might have a little go later.

Changed to 60s Ha -30°C 135mm lens @ f2.5 on ASI 1600MM-Cool.

Heart_Light_H_Alpha_60_secs_2019-11-08T19-16-00_002.thumb.png.38a8eca6929bc5222a518c499ec4c3ae.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

The forecast is for clear skies here after 9pm, but that's about the time my granddaughter should arrive this evening after driving up from Bracknell after work for the weekend, so I'll be giving AP a miss tonight. The Moon is too bright and too close to my current LRGB project NGC7479 (Superman Galaxy) anyway and we are planning to go to the east coast to see the baby seals tomorrow, so I don't want a late night tonight.

• Like 1

Tried 120s but overcooked!  Going back to 60s.

Heart_Light_H_Alpha_120_secs_2019-11-08T19-30-00_001.png.e01fe2fb20c78dedd5c3f2f7d12a6d62.png

• Like 2