Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Did you point him in the dirction of the Rk?

We are not very far from the Humber ports he may have parked it there. He was also muttering something about not being able to find the unicorns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Seems to be clear here but with a very bright moon.  Don't think I'll bother.  There's rain forecast for later in the night.

Moon is less of a problem than blanket cloud & constant rain.....must be almost tropical down there in comparison....😀

46 minutes ago, KevS said:

Rain here of Biblical proportions, took the wolf out for a whiz around the block and there was a bloke coming the other way with a pair of sheep, think it may be a sign of thinks to come😭

Done my daily ride from the Humber Bridge down to Gainsborough, gonna need a boat in the morning to get to back.

The next area I want to image is Orion but it's not up yet.  By the time it's visible there will be little clear sky left if the forecast is right.  I'll think about it...  The mud bath between here and the observatory would be hazardous though.

4 minutes ago, Kev M said:

Done my daily ride from the Humber Bridge down to Gainsborough, gonna need a boat in the morning to get to back.

Hope you have mudguards fitted.

6 minutes ago, KevS said:

Hope you have mudguards fitted.

Only on the back.....yeah I know...

Not to bad coming down the Ridge but once you leave that it gets....interesting !

Just been out. The moon is quite bright, but there's enough cloud that I couldn't se Polaris if I wanted to align the HEQ5 for visual.

Cold *and* damp though, which really sucks the heat out of the body. Think I'll stay inside with the wood burner.

Yes, I've just popped out to the porch - too cold.  If I decide to do any imaging I shall set up before dark.

All gone pear-shaped here :(

It is cold, too.  I picked my son up from school at 6:30pm after his kayaking session and even in the centre of Taunton the car thermometer was only reading 4C.  By the time we were back home it was 3C.

James

It's quite good here.  I've compared subs from tonight with subs from 3 nights ago, when there was less moon about.  The results, so far, are encouraging.  I am getting a slightly smaller range of brightness, however, even the dimmest bits do not seem weaker.  Overall, the data seems better because the seeing is better (I think).  Stars are 1.9 FWHM tonight versus 2.1.  The subs look better to the eye.  I won't really know until I stack tonight's data and compare it with Monday's.  I should also stress that I don't really know what I am doing - but I'll carry on imaging and find out.

• Like 2

Just closed up, moon a bit too bright for my taste, had a try for an hour on M81/82 but not expecting much.

1 hour ago, Kev M said:

My daughter phoned from Gainsborough said it was a bit damp, told her it was wall to wall sunshine here, been working in the garden all day, she didn't believe me 😂

Just been setting up the mount after taking it all apart for the aborted SGL star party, got it all balanced and PA'd now doing sky model, might get some HA on the California Nebulae when it's done modelling.

Dave

I've stacked 100m Ha from tonight and compared it with 100m from Monday.  I cannot see any noticeable difference between the two nights.  For me the moon isn't causing a problem in Ha on the Heart.

I'm now collecting some 60s subs in R, G and B to see if I can get the stars to add back into the NB image.

• Like 1

Had a quick look outside - moon still shining brightly so couldn't see any stars - but very wet on all surfaces.  Extremely heavy dew running down the walls.  Staying indoors in the warm!!

• Like 1

Still lashing down here, school day tomorrow to boot; so time to hit the hay. Good luck to all those still out there.

K

I've moved onto the Tadpoles, and I can see a definite difference between tonight's data and Monday night's.  The background is higher, and the weaker bits are much weaker.  This target is further from the moon, but it is also lower - more atmosphere perhaps???   Pity.

Edited by don4l
  • Like 1

Just finished defrosting myself under the shower, 5 hours wearing shorts & flip flops has taken its toll. Jeez I’m stubborn sometimes.... 

I did manage one lunar picture. 

0F35917A-79B8-49D3-99BF-FF7C8628B3EE.thumb.jpeg.0839ade2dc179c95020a8d652808cbee.jpeg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Benjam said:

Just finished defrosting myself under the shower, 5 hours wearing shorts & flip flops has taken its toll. Jeez I’m stubborn sometimes.... 

I did manage one lunar picture. 

0F35917A-79B8-49D3-99BF-FF7C8628B3EE.thumb.jpeg.0839ade2dc179c95020a8d652808cbee.jpeg

Weldone.... it's cold but dewy here so not bothering.

Nice single lunar shot.😁

• Like 1