Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

20 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Same here too Geof.  Just got the wide field rig going on the Double Cluster.  Two x five minute subs in... "PING" from PHD.........🙄

It cleared long enough for me to get 3x10 mins, but then cloud again. Looking at satellite images, it could clear again around 9:30pm-10pm, so I’ve left the scope tracking and will resume the sequence as soon as I think a decent clear patch allows 10 min subs....

Well, clear skies after 5 weeks, setup including Ekos seems to be running smoothly.

I am on my couch, writing this, then reading for another 15 minutes until my first small set of test images of the eastern veil in SII are finished.

• Like 2

Relatively clear here. Gathering Oiii on the Bubble to go with the Ha I collected a couple of weeks ago. Forecast is a bit grim for the next 7 days, so have to grab what I can tonight!

• Like 3

Out doing night lapses with a little Fuji XP140 tough compact camera. It's doing well considering it's limited to 4 seconds exposure time and has a 1/2.3 sensor. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, freiform said:

Well, clear skies after 5 weeks, setup including Ekos seems to be running smoothly.

I am on my couch, writing this, then reading for another 15 minutes until my first small set of test images of the eastern veil in SII are finished.

Do you call that astronomy? Unless you are reading about astronomy of course.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Do you call that astronomy? Unless you are reading about astronomy of course.

I call that astrophotography. And while I do find it interesting to set everything up for a session, I don't need to watch the equipment taking pictures for hours. It gets boring relatively quickly 😁.

I need a second mount for doing visual and imaging at the same time, but I just got a new camera so that has to wait a bit.

Edited by freiform
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, freiform said:

I call that astrophotography. And while I do find it interesting to set everything up for a session, I don't need to watch the equipment taking pictures for hours. It gets boring relatively quickly 😁.

I need a second mount for doing visual and imaging at the same time, but I just got a new camera so that has to wait a bit.

That’s what I do too. I have my two imaging rigs running and I do visual with my Dob 12” whilst they are going. 

• Like 3

I thought about getting a sturdier mount to replace my Vixen GP for imaging which would free the GP fo visual. A Dobson would be nice, too, offering aperture the small GP would never be able to handle.

No imaging here - it's raining again!!

• Sad 3

Home from work now.Clear sky .with a few small cloud patches.

Binoculars for an hour or so over in the southeast to study orion pliadies etc.

Hope it's clear tomorrow as I have the house to myself and may stay out late .... very late. Lol 

• Like 1

It's been a very iffy imaging session for me tonight. I think I managed about 2 hours of usable subs over a nearly 6 hour period. I lost count of the number of times I had to abort as passing clouds ruined a 10 min sub maybe 5, 6, 7 even 9 mins in, then wait for another clear patch to try again. The target is now too far west and too low and I'm not going to try for another tonight as way too frustrating, so just shut everything down. Goodnight all and good luck to anyone still out there....

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, djpaul said:

Home from work now.Clear sky .with a few small cloud patches.

Binoculars for an hour or so over in the southeast to study orion pliadies etc.

Hope it's clear tomorrow as I have the house to myself and may stay out late .... very late. Lol 

Well been out for an hour on and off.

Found andromeda galaxy with my 8x43 bins..... didn't think I'd find it tonight with those.

Im now over in the southeast had some fab wide views so far.

Edited by djpaul
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gina said:

No imaging here - it's raining again!!

Have you finished the clock already? 🤔

• Haha 2

The sky is finally clearing from the east, so looks like it might be crisp and clear later, but I've shut down and closed the obs and will not be opening it up again. I couldn't resist grabing the 15x70 bins and taking my first look at M42 this autumn - always an impressive site even in hand held bins. Also picked off M31, M33, M45 then chanced my arm seeing if M1 was possible - NOT....!! That's my lot for tonight....

• Like 1

Cloud coming over from the southwest  .

Bins are left out just incase it's a false alarm. 

I got caught out last night as it cleared and I had put my scope away.

8 hours ago, don4l said:

Have you finished the clock already? 🤔

No no, it's a big, long term project.  Astro imaging is still my no.1 "pleasure".

• Like 2

Out again last night, four nights in a row, WOW! Had a nice long look around Perseus last night. Some beautiful coloured stars around Mirfak then moved to Algol and then about 20 minutes on M34. Loving my new G&G set up.

Glen.

• Like 2

I dont recall ever having so much cloud for so long  and still another week set for cloud .😭😭😭☁️☁️☁️☁️

5 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

I dont recall ever having so much cloud for so long  and still another week set for cloud .😭😭😭☁️☁️☁️☁️

Really? Sunday was awsome. I got 6 hours of data in one night. 

• Like 2

Depends on which part of the country.   The south-west is getting cloud and rain!

Rain and more rain. CO is solid red all week.

I could have done all night last night, if I'd had enough stamina, but still got four hours with at least half an hour lost when a stray cloud interrupted my guiding.

• Like 1

Pouring with rain here and the same is forecast for the rest of the week!!  :clouds2:  GROAN!!

• Sad 1