Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

I was away too, visiting the grandsons.

GS: Why do horses move their heads when they walk?

G'Dad: It stops their heads from falling off.  Haven't you noticed the horses' heads at the side of the road?

GS: Dad - Grandad's an idiot.  No offence!

G'dad: None taken!!

Happy times!

Doug.

I'm beginning to think of some of my non-astro projects like clocks which have been neglected a bit recently.  Anything astro seems like a waste of time ATM.  I just can't help working on at least one astro project though.  Must be a masochist!!

I'm off work tonight. Eagerly waiting for some clear sky.

Think I might be waiting a long time lol 

It's cleared to the North and East here, clouds trailing off South-East, if this continues should be clear in an hour or so, hopefully 🤞

Meant to be clear here in Nott's from 9PM until midday tomorrow.  So I was going to leave the TEC140 running on The Perseus A galaxy cluster, but we're still clouded out here.....

Just looked outside ... getting chilly....

Clearing slightly from the north.

Well I'm setup currently shooting M31 waiting for Orion to rise from behind the trees. Had a much better polar alignment experience tonight, turns out if you point the tracker at Polaris instead of Kochab, it's much better! 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pullock said:

Well I'm setup currently shooting M31 waiting for Orion to rise

Ditto minus the trees 

After 30 subs, very little movement so my alignment isn't bang on but very close.

Solid cloud here.  Good luck to those playing.  Goodnight - I'm off to bed...

55 minutes ago, Pullock said:

Well I'm setup currently shooting M31 waiting for Orion to rise from behind the trees. Had a much better polar alignment experience tonight, turns out if you point the tracker at Polaris instead of Kochab, it's much better! 🤦‍♂️

You're not the first!  Here is an entry from my astro diary written after an imaging trip to Tenerife:-

LessonsLearned.jpg

• Haha 1

After missing two great nights due to my guiding going mad...i re calibrated and seems ok now,snapping away on the pelican and have the 12" out just looking about at what ever comes to mind, got comet Panstars in Auriga,very small,but comet like just beside m36.

Not sure if it's my lens (Tamron 70-300mm) but when I use the Skytech CLS filter it seems like stars are already out of focus and I can only de-focus them more as I'm already as close to infinity as it lets me get. I know this lens is hardly idea for AP though.

9 minutes ago, Pullock said:

Not sure if it's my lens (Tamron 70-300mm) but when I use the Skytech CLS filter it seems like stars are already out of focus and I can only de-focus them more as I'm already as close to infinity as it lets me get. I know this lens is hardly idea for AP though.

Adding filters will move the focus point out by about a third (???) of the thickness of the filter.  So, if you are already fully out, then you cannot add more filters unless you can add a spacer of some sort.  Hope this makes sense.

I'm assuming that the filter is between the lens and the CCD.....

Edited by don4l

30 minutes ago, don4l said:

Adding filters will move the focus point out by about a third (???) of the thickness of the filter.  So, if you are already fully out, then you cannot add more filters unless you can add a spacer of some sort.  Hope this makes sense.

I'm assuming that the filter is between the lens and the CCD.....

It was yes and that does make sense, thanks for the tip!

Turned into a lovely evening, and managed to cap it with my first Orion of the season. 20 x 30secs Ha, before closing down for the night.
Just enough to whet my appetite for longer sessions once it clears the houses a little earlier 

F03BA6DE-20BD-4D10-B895-9F019F3FB12C.jpeg

• Like 11

I managed another hour last night, that's three in a row. Must be some kind of record that. Seeing wasn't as good as previous nights though. Managed M81 and M82, but M97 and M108 were completely washed out with a street light and bad seeing. The position of Ursa Major is not the best at the moment for me. There is a works in the way with a LP Sodium light on it. Don't really fancy middle of the night viewing at the moment. A bit chilly for me.

Glen.

• Like 1

No chance of playing for at least another week, then the moon gets in the way.

• Sad 2

Dont you just love when 1 weather app says clouds all week 😞 and then you check another app and you get clouds all week 😫 , and then sunday excellent viewing 🤔🥳🥳🥳 cool that's the best app ever lol

• Haha 1

Crystal clear sky since about 4pm, so I opened the obs roof, swapped camera to the C14, as I'm planning to have a long session shooting the Superman Galaxy NGC7479. Camera cooled, target plate solved, autofocus complete, sequence started - then 8 mins into my first 10 min sub I get the PHD2 death ding - CLOUD....!!! Really, someone's taking the p***..... 😩

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Crystal clear sky since about 4pm, so I opened the obs roof, swapped camera to the C14, as I'm planning to have a long session shooting the Superman Galaxy NGC7479. Camera cooled, target plate solved, autofocus complete, sequence started - then 8 mins into my first 10 min sub I get the PHD2 death ding - CLOUD....!!! Really, someone's taking the p***..... 😩

Same here too Geof.  Just got the wide field rig going on the Double Cluster.  Two x five minute subs in... "PING" from PHD.........🙄

• Sad 2

I've been out on the last 2 nights, getting to know this here Celestron 127 SLT.

Sunday night was quite poor. Uranus looked like a distant blob of constantly morphing chewing gum! :)

Monday Night was much clearer but I seemed to be struggling with the mount. With Autoalign you just need to point it at any three stars and align each one. Not sure how well that's working; was miles off on GOTO's. Much better using one of the named alignment star routines.

I don't really have the best eyepieces for this scope excluding the tacky kit ones it came with. I have a decent 40mm which gives 37x magnification but my 28mm eyepiece has a 2" barrel so no good on this scope. My next fl is 12mm. So a jump to 125x! :) 

I tried tracking down some of Trapezium's minor members but the sky just wasn't up to it. For a laugh I popped in a 6mm eyepiece. YUK!! Like looking through a kaleidoscope (remember them?).

Not too sure I like this mount. I can see me getting a sturdy undriven alt-az for the cute lickle Mak 

Last time I looked it was clear here again but the magnetic warmth of the log burning stove is winning my affection at the moment! 

• Like 1