Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep15_banner.thumb.jpg.34f8495864951c81ec35e285b4d7b2e0.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Well tonight was a bust, granddaughters stayed up late only to see solid cloud. Kept checking between episodes of House to see if I could get away with waking them up but no chance.

All day CO has said 2% cloud at 10pm, actuality was 2% not cloud. It still says 2% at 10pm, I think it's broken.

409126985_Screenshot2020-08-02at01_34_17.thumb.png.1b18093a0786d22ece64a35b5769f166.png

• Sad 1

Well managed to get started at just after 22:15 with a plan to bring all parts of my 4 part mosaic up to at least 10x10m of Ha and if any bonus time allowed, start adding to the OIII data.

Primary objective completed, cloud stopped play after 3 OIII subs. Taking flats now.  Was looking OK for Tomorrow for a few hours too but that's gone red in the past few hours!.

Fnished plans so Darks then Dark Flats then bed night all,

Roger

Posted (edited)

Don't you hate it when this happens?

Clear blue sky all day (and pleasantly warm in the sun for mid winter), then as the sun starts sinking in the west, in comes the high cloud ahead of the next weather system. Nice big halo though.

I'm actually not toooo bothered as they are forecasting snow for us on Tuesday!

Always an air of excitement here in Oz when there's a chance of the white stuff. 😁  ❄❄❄

20200802_153429.thumb.jpg.412ef7aa432fa2432bed35ad8529fc04.jpg

Edited by Geoff Barnes
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 01/09/2019 at 01:25, KevS said:

Taking 180s subs on M31 at the moment, but guiding all over the shop. It will all come out in the wash. Neighbours garden lights go off at midnight so only a narrow window. Getting some high wispy cloud here PHD is pinging at me need to move guide star. Oh the joys. Panic Over

Couldn’t you have a polite word with neighbour to switch light off as I text 2 neighbours when I am imaging that night and they are very accommodating 😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Morning all.

I ran the ASC continuously capturing 60s images until dawn and just watched it in Blink.  It confirmed that it was a useless night with lots of of clouds passing over.  Just the odd minute or two clear between batches of cloud.  Today I expect to do some image processing of data from previous nights and flats taken yesterday plus more work on my weather station.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 2

Of course, with me starting my 3 days of work, it is so clear this morning!

The Moon between Jupiter and  Saturn. Mars shining a brilliant red color.

And me now sitting in Walmart waiting to have my temp taken and say yes, I feel good!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, ApophisAstros said:

A few steps so they can reach the eyepiece??

Telescope Posters and Art Prints | TeePublic

Roger

I put mine on the garage roof....4F883E0E-9478-4A80-8F8B-7FA29C2D1F51.thumb.jpeg.860cfd10cd72fdc39cac87f4161d164c.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Right alarms set for 12:20 and 7:15.

My 12:20 alarm didn't go off so I lay there listening to Planet Rock and missed it by 20 minutes...

Hopefully I don't miss splashdown.

42 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My 12:20 alarm didn't go off so I lay there listening to Planet Rock and missed it by 20 minutes...

Morning all.

Splash down is apparently at 02:25pm EDT which by my reckoning is 19:15 in the UK.

9 hours ago, ApophisAstros said:

So the Bhatinov tool in APT does work

Yes, it seems to work very well. Been using it myself for the last few nights imaging.

Good morning all.

Frustrated to report that there are still Dec issues with the mount, I might make a post including log files to see if anyone has any ideas.

• Sad 4

Ok so I stripped the Dec gearing down even further in the last hour. There was a lot of play in the worm gear engagement - a lot of fine adjustments between the larger four hex bolts that hold the gear housing in place and an adjustment grub bolt and I think I have successfully adjusted out the slack. Time will tell!

This mount was always going to be a stop gap. It was intended to start me off and be light enough to be a travel mount when I upgraded. I hope I can sort the issues as I was hoping to go to the EQ6R Pro next and can't quite justify it yet.

IMG_20200802_113753.thumb.jpg.08770f21dde64afa5268a8a4248b817a.jpg

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Saw cast off last night, just been repeated on NASA TV, left it running in a separate window so I can keep an eye on it.

Dave

3 hours ago, Gina said:

Morning all.

I ran the ASC continuously capturing 60s images until dawn and just watched it in Blink.  It confirmed that it was a useless night with lots of of clouds passing over.  Just the odd minute or two clear between batches of cloud.  Today I expect to do some image processing of data from previous nights and flats taken yesterday plus more work on my weather station.

Can`t you save the captures as AVI files to save all that palaver?

Roger

Morning all, just surfaced as a longer than normal session last night seemed to be noticably darker for longer, anyone else feel that, very clear all night,

Session 23.30 to 04.11(last 900s sub)

Roger

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ApophisAstros said:

Can`t you save the captures as AVI files to save all that palaver?

Roger

I don't think so, the software only has FITS as the save format but I'm not sure.  Blink has a Run feature which allows displaying the frames as a video so you don't have to go through the subs one by one.

Edited by Gina
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Gina said:

I don't think so, the software only has FITS as the save format but I'm not sure.  Blink has a Run feature which allows displaying the frames as a video so you don't have to go through the subs one by one.

You could adapt the code in the pi-all-sky camera which concatenates each frame in to a movie? Triggered by the notifications in Ekos (there is a notification to run a script functionality upon a capture completing).   You'd need to include something to convert the FITS to jpeg. (perhaps the tools in here: https://github.com/libvips/libvips )

This is run just before the 'day' movie starts being starting to be built up by regular captures:

https://github.com/rederikus/AllSky-Camera-Raspberry-Pi/blob/master/allsky/pics/newnightmovie.sh

Periodically this takes the latest capture and appends it to the day move that is being built up through the day.:

https://github.com/rederikus/AllSky-Camera-Raspberry-Pi/blob/master/allsky/pics/concatday.sh

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jason, I'll look into that later, meanwhile how I do things now is adequate and simple.

• Like 1

Weird weather continues. 7am this morning completely clear blue sky. About 8.30 it took about 2 minutes to completely cloud over. Rest of the day it has sporadically cleared then clouded over again. CO has changed again and now showing next short clear spell as next Friday night. Will keep an eye on it 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well I have de-rigged the Atik460EX and Samyang and swapped it for the Atik428EX as remaining possible targets are too small for the Atik460EX.  

I also ordered a custom made 3rd ring to fit my CCD camera and longer dovetail so I can have more confidence that the CCD and EFW are not going to fall off like they did a little while ago, and meanwhile I have been tying everything on.

It was all a very snug fit.

This was the set up BEFORE with only 2 rings and the EFW and CCD just hung off the end.

Astrokraken rings.JPG

This is the set up now with the 3rd ring, and I am also hoping this might help alleviate any tilt in the system, but only time will tell.

I have stopped using the Microfocusser because the focus ring is quite stiff and not likely to move once I have adjusted it.  

I am now set up again for the next sessions, but will wait for the Moon to get smaller first.

Carole 

AK 3 rings.JPG

Edited by carastro
  • Like 7

Threads, sorted.... Now got M10 and M6 working... Apparently there was a box I didn't have ticked in Fusion 360 and as a result no actual thread was being created when sent to a 3d printer file! Only spotted when I changed material to a white one lol!!! 

Then it was just a case of finding the correct thread pitch!

IMG_20200802_160702.jpg

• Like 2

I've been playing with Pixinsight and reprocessed some data I took in December 2019 of the North America Nebula and Pelican Nebula. This was taken with my WO ZS73 and an ancient Canon EOS 400D astromodded. Yes old faithful still works and produces reasonable results for a 12 year old camera.

I particularly like the star reduction process in PI.

nanebulaSGL.thumb.jpg.a244c4f2786a16c4b4b64b3d0110dbb5.jpg

• Like 8

Raining now.

Guess I'm not surprised.  I expected rain here with very dark clouds.  Guess it passed over south of here and caught you instead.