Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep15_banner.thumb.jpg.34f8495864951c81ec35e285b4d7b2e0.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

1 minute ago, Jkulin said:

John, you seem to have quite a talent picking up the 3D printer so quickly, have you had any previous experience?

Thanks John. 

None at all but the current covid situation forced me to retire so I have more time than ever.

I have a background in Physics and s/w engineering but never built anything hardware wise.  I needed an additional interest to the astronomy, something I can pursue in the day and is not at the whim of the weather. Only down side is the waste plastic which is a real concern if I can't find a way to dispose of it or recycle it appropriately. 

• Like 1

Good luck - glad someone has some clear sky.  😀

1 minute ago, silentrunning said:

Thanks John. 

None at all but the current covid situation forced me to retire so I have more time than ever.

I have a background in Physics and s/w engineering but never built anything hardware wise.  I needed an additional interest to the astronomy, something I can pursue in the day and is not at the whim of the weather. Only down side is the waste plastic which is a real concern if I can't find a way to dispose of it or recycle it appropriately. 

If I only I was a smart as you and Gina and the others at doing something like that!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gina said:

Good luck - glad someone has some clear sky.  😀

I'll bite my tongue next time Gina......grrrrr: -

image.thumb.png.5b37cf96a650151c3e0cfd9ef566a531.png

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

25% done. Bit of a bed adhesion issue but I think it will be OK.

image.png.0f8916d63523999a76e88dc801aca240.png

Edited by silentrunning
  • Like 2

Oh well looks like an early night, looks like just the one 20 min Ha Sub, I'll probably watch a bit on the box in case it clears and if not then that's the way it goes.

Can't see much point in staying up any longer!  Had a busy day anyway, so I think I'll say goodnight all and good luck to anyone still going.

• Like 2

Goodnight Gina, cloud here but I will be up until this print finishes.

• Thanks 1

Good night Gina, another day and another chance!

• Thanks 1

Just got back from my observing session with the neighbour, only 1 came in the end as she is the one buying the scope.  It was a bit cloudy still when we started but by 2/3 of the way through the sky was brilliantly clear.  Of course we live in Bortle 8 so can only see the brightest stars and with an almost full Moon the sky was washed out even further, so we failed to see the comet, but I gather it is dimmer now anyway, so Bortle 8, and a bright Moon I think obliterated it.

Showed her how to use my planisphere which I have lent her, showed her the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn,, an app on my phone which shows what's up there.  How to identify the pole star, and we saw the Plough and Cassiopeia.  Explained how the sky rotates, and how the sky varies through the seasons and why and how planets "wander".  She is going to purchase an up to date planisphere as mine only predicts planets up to 2011.  

Wish I could have shown her a darker sky, so we are going to do it again when she gets her scope.

Carole 

• Like 7

I got the clear sky I wanted for Neowise. Thought the planets would be far too low. Lucky I had cut a bush down earlier in the year and bought some garden furniture that was just right to stand the scope on. Had great views of Jupiter with GRS and Saturn, Cassini Division and 5 moons. Better than expected for a change!

• Like 5

Good night Gina, won't be long myself sky keeps coming and going here. 

Good luck to all those carrying on.

K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It cleared here about an hour ago, so I set everything up.

It clouded over as soon as the camera reached temperature!!!

Camera is now warming up again.  C'est la vie...

• Sad 2

Put a new focal reducer on my ED66-r and OSC and forgot i would have to refocus and take out about nearly an inch of spacer but all bhatinoved now, both scopes imaging NGC7822 focal reducer looks to have done the job,

Redcat 51 and Atik460ex

ED66-r and OSC

Either rotate one camera or do it in registar..

Roger

• Like 3

First subs rolling in. Hope to get about 4 hours in before it gets too light. Time for bed! 

• Like 3

Well that's it for me too. Just been watching the highlights of the 2nd ODI against Ireland, now going to climb the little wooden hill.

Goodnight all, and goodluck with clear skies.

Over and out.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

First sub in Ha 900s NGC7822,no stretching,

Roger

Tonight.jpg

Edited by ApophisAstros
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, silentrunning said:

Think I'm gonna catch a film.

Catch you later.

Me too,enjoy,

Roger

• Like 1

Just watched Dragon detach from Space Station.

Dave

• Like 1

Free night, everyone in bed,  turned all the house lights off to maximise viewing, and beaten by the clouds and a moon so bright that's lighting up the whole sky.  Frustrating! Also a newbie question, given the conditions tonight,  if I tried to view Jupiter through my GPCAM2 290C, and it was quite close to the moon, would it be expected to just make out a dullish featureless blob? Is this the kind of effect a bright moon has? Thanks Greg