Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep15_banner.thumb.jpg.34f8495864951c81ec35e285b4d7b2e0.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Now showing "Overcast" but leveling off.

The forecast for here is changing by the hour, I think once the tea boy at the Met Office has had a chance to look out of the window.  Clear sky was forecast from 4pm today, but that keeps getting pushed out every time I look and there has been none so far today.

On the positive side, because I took Friday off I keep thinking today is Sunday and then realising I still have another day off :D

James

• Haha 2

Graph has shot back up to "Clear", but I don't believe it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Evening astrobods.

Just put new adjustable adapter on the Samyang and I can't quite get to focus on Vega. Over cooked the length of what is actually required. Apart from a 4 hour build time which is underway this is good news really as I now know the outside range of the distance required.

Fingers crossed the build succeeds.

New shortened adapter...

image.thumb.png.a861f9a0b41b5fe39fbd3672ed1577ca.png

Edited by silentrunning
  • Like 6

I have everything ready to go when I click on "Run NOW" in ASA Sequence, just a matter of keeping an eye on the clouds.

• Like 2

Nearly all the clouds have suddenly gone here!!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Looking good out there so I’ve started setting up. Back on the Soul nebula tonight. I didn’t frame it up very well last time so a third of it was missing! 

edit: must start using my laptop and use APT to avoid that happening!

Edited by AstroExploring
Added more info
  • Like 3

Well plenty off time to burn as that builds so tuning into SpaceX for the undocking.

3 minutes ago, Gina said:

Nearly all the clouds have suddenly gone here!!

I was beginning to think that this evening was going to be a write off.

The sky here is still half covered in cloud.  The scope is out, but I haven't bothered setting up.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

More clouds coming over - not opening the roof yet.  Humidity up to 85%.

Edited by Gina

5 minutes ago, silentrunning said:

Well plenty off time to burn as that builds so tuning into SpaceX for the undocking.

Is it only me who got very confused by the media all unquestioningly printing that they were undocking at 11:45 on Sunday and splashing down at 2pm the same day? BBC and Grauniad I'm looking at you...

Cloudwatcher graph dropping again, I can see cloud when I look out. May end up closing down again.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Is it only me who got very confused by the media all unquestioningly printing that they were undocking at 11:45 on Sunday and splashing down at 2pm the same day? BBC and Grauniad I'm looking at you...

I only ever go to Nasa for scheduling etc.

• Like 1

Clouded right over now!!  :clouds1:

• Sad 2

Cloudwatcher going up and down like the stock market!

• Haha 1

Good evening all.

Had a wonderful evening holding a surprise graduation for my wife to celebrate her first class honors since she won't be able to make her usual graduation due to the current situation. Very proud husband.

All setup doing Ha on Iris Nevbula. Oh what a difference the maintenance on the dec gears on the mount has had. I cannot remember when I last did not have significant dec spikes and tonight...

image.thumb.png.32a336d143052bb23ef379ae614375d6.png

• Like 4

There's a bright moon, but all it's doing is lighting up the cloud. Closed up and watching the telly.

• Sad 2

This matches the current situation and points to an early night!!!  Oh well...

1268617423_Screenshotfrom2020-08-0123-01-23.png.64528e5d58d8de53d03e685565453466.png

Evening All, well that was unexpected, not perfect but should be good enough to grab some more, this time Ha: -

image.thumb.png.4df753e482cdd6ea797b2cf18a80dda9.png

And some good news my PSU didn't go pop, apparently it has an emergency shutdown and if I had checked after an hour it could have saved me a fortune, anyway the new dew control appears to be working as well?

I'm not holding my breath for a perfect night, but you never know!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silentrunning said:

Evening astrobods.

Just put new adjustable adapter on the Samyang and I can't quite get to focus on Vega. Over cooked the length of what is actually required. Apart from a 4 hour build time which is underway this is good news really as I now know the outside range of the distance required.

Fingers crossed the build succeeds.

New shortened adapter...

image.thumb.png.a861f9a0b41b5fe39fbd3672ed1577ca.png

John, you seem to have quite a talent picking up the 3D printer so quickly, have you had any previous experience?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Evening All, well that was unexpected, not perfect but should be good enough to grab some more, this time Ha: -

<snip>

Hah!!!  No such luck here.  I'm sitting on the settee watching the clouds scudding past the moon which just occasionally shows in a fleeting gap!!

1791871546_Screenshotfrom2020-08-0123-03-57.png.a95777ed434ec8fd2cfde9e8fe45b63e.png

Edited by Gina
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gina said:

Hah!!!  No such luck here.  I'm sitting on the settee watching the clouds scudding past the moon which just occasionally shows in a fleeting gap!!

1791871546_Screenshotfrom2020-08-0123-03-57.png.a95777ed434ec8fd2cfde9e8fe45b63e.png

Don't send them my way Gina 😉

Just had the first 20min sub of Ha off and this is a medium stretch in SGP: -

image.png.1bc2ab987afda04d8bfea35040abfc79.png

NGC6823, looks like it might prove quite interesting😎

• Like 6