Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

OK, that's it. The last of the subs in, 'scope parked, camera warmed up and tonight's file transferred to the main computer. Got the electric blanket under the Telegizmos cover to keep the dew at bay, but will check tomorrow. Saw the whole of Orion rising in the east though buried in the light polluted murk where Weymouth is.

Turning in now, 'night all and good luck to anyone else still playing.

• Thanks 1

So just nipped outside and saw Orion's belt and thought I'd have a bash, I took my DSLR and tripod, nothing else, no tracking etc. 10 Light Frames, 2 Darks and 2 Bias and a little editing. Not too shabby I don't think.

Edited.jpg

• Like 3

Getting close to calling it a night here, losing the battle with the Dew.

Managed some subs on 6960 - will have to take calibrations in the morning I think.

Autosave001.jpg.c9bccde16364577161c40d6664a6481e.jpg

• Like 2

Clear and frosty here but all the gear is packed for SGL SP :D

Dave

• Like 1

I have stayed up past my limit. Wasnt even supposed to be clear tonight. Still, 4.5 hours of Lum on M31 isn't bad! 180 x 90s frames unguided.

• Like 2

Took advantage of the clear night and the lost hour meant Orion is at a much better height now- wonderful. Also found the blue snowball and Uranus but gave up on Herschel’s garnet star- found a very orange one but I don’t think that was it 🤔 Highlight though was a very bright fireball travelling n-s in the western side of the sky. It broke up into 2 and continued for a moment before extinguishing- brightest I’ve seen

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, discardedastro said:

Re-calibrate PHD2 and see if it persists. Shift-click on the "Guide" button to force it.

Thanks for prompt reply,Twigged about 10s after I posted heater for guide scope not plugged in so guide camera seeing doughnuts, I would like to nominate myself for "dork" of the week.:crybaby2:

• Like 1

Tried for the horse head in a bit of so-so LP conditions but decent Vis and clarity, 20" dob, 9mm delite with astronomik UHC, 222x, (Hb filter in the post) oh so close, a maybe but meh...not convinced. Been studying photos and lined up on the two stars that immediately border it. But might have been looking on the wrong side ha, spent an hour just on that. I will get it soon. M1 nice, M42 was just unreal! It's silly o'clock... 

• Like 3

Stayed very clear for me all night. I too changed to Horse Head for a while when the East Veil disappeared behind the house.

Got blooming cold though everything covered in ice this morning when it came to take it all in - I must build an obsy so I can just shut it all up.

Steve

• Like 4

Orion is the region I'm dying to image particularly the Horse's Head.  It's getting earlier but there's no sign of any change of clear skies in the foreseeable future!!  :clouds1:

Orion is my target I want to image, now it seems to visible from around half 11 so I may plan to try imaging it and see how well it goes. Not sure if the IR filter will cut most of it out though. It is supposed to be a clear night tomorrow night so I guess I'll find out!

• Like 1

Don't think I've ever seen it this bad before - totally 100% RED!!!!

457449964_Screenshotfrom2019-10-2813-20-33.png.7fa47714842a67e75dcd9509f62df598.png

I just checked again and it will only be clear till 9pm tomorrow now, with no other clear sky in sight!

14 hours ago, DaveS said:

I'll let this run, though the MW has almost vanished, and the Quintet is barely visible on the screen. I think this might be as far as I'm taking this as I'm into diminishing returns.

Well, I've called it a day on Stephan and Deer, at least for this year. May have a go with the ODK12 / 16200 next year. For now I've posted an image with 17 1/2 hours data in Deep Sky Imaging.

• Like 2

I must be lucky. I had another 2 hour visual last night. My new Morpheus is still showing what it can do. Concentrated on the Messier in Auriga again. Love the Starfish cluster.

Glen.

• Like 1

CO showing 100% red here too.

That probably means more imaging than 100% green would!

• Haha 2

Not bad early on for Mon and Tues but then solid red for a week.

DCDA57C2-A2ED-465D-8D3F-E8DBF9B32330.jpeg

DA4F6826-DB4D-4B5F-9473-4BCEEA31920F.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

I've stopped looking at CO, too depressing.

• Like 1

Makes sense!  CO is as often wrong as right anyway and changes by the hour sometimes.

In my experience, CO is ok and is only usually 99% accurate when we have a beautiful almost perfect clear night. I tend to use Met office cloud cover forecast & Sat24 cloud radar for much more accurate results.