Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

1 minute ago, don4l said:

You wouldn't get that fantastic detail with a larger field of view.  I had a quick look a couple of weeks ago, and it looks lost in the centre of a huge field. 

Yeah - it's the decision I made when I bought it, I figured a smaller image scale would challenge me in terms of getting everything working as well as possible, and would work great for high resolution galaxy imaging. Often just leads to frustration with not-perfect guiding though - at 0.5"/px you see all of the error!

3 minutes ago, upahill said:

Thats a cracking sub, can I ask what camera (appologies if I missed you mention it)

Thanks.  It's a Moravian G3 16200 MKII.  However, I should point out that the filter wheel is not the best.  The camera itself is excellent.

• Thanks 1

Well it's going to be a wrap for me tonight, I re-positioned for other targets and then couldn't resolve anything through my polar scope for my alignment, in the mean time I can tackle while DSS doesn't like to resolve many stars and actually stack my images.

3 minutes ago, don4l said:

Thanks.  It's a Moravian G3 16200 MKII.  However, I should point out that the filter wheel is not the best.  The camera itself is excellent.

It's stunning, I was looking at the Moravian G3 range a few weeks back but the financial director caught me and put an end to that :)  Nice to see what it can produce though!

The sky's still "clear" but it's not brilliant. Going to continue the run though, should finish before midnight.

Quite a bit of thin high cloud and aircraft contrails about here this evening. Patchy seeing at best really. Rather dewey as well. I don't think it's going to be a memorable session somehow :rolleyes2:

11 minutes ago, upahill said:

It's stunning, I was looking at the Moravian G3 range a few weeks back but the financial director caught me and put an end to that :)  Nice to see what it can produce though!

I also had long dicussions with the financial director.  She isn't into astronomy, but she now admits that the new camera was worth it.  She just said "Wow" when she saw this image an hour ago.

• Like 1

I'm not going to bother unless I see a nice clear sky with plenty of stars.  Anything else just leads to frustration.  It might be different once I get my ASC working again and also the full remote ROR control.

Edited by Gina

I think the evening might be about to come to an end.  I just nipped back inside to find some warmer footwear and gloves and looked back towards the observatory to see a fair bit of cloud coming in from the north.  Doesn't look like I'm going to have a lot of time left, so I abandoned my journey and I'll stick out the cold for the little time I appear to have left.

James

I strolled around the garden just now and picked out some of the main constellations and stars. I packed away the kit a couple of days ago before the rains came. So not expecting much or any clear sky tonight I didn't think it was worth setting up.  It's clearer now than I had expected from the forecast, but it's still pretty hazy. I doubt I'd have bothered taking any images even if the kit were out. 

Checked weather earlier, all clear. Spent an hour setting up the big dob, collimate, etc and rechecked weather. Cloudy until 3am...argh!!

Used the smaller newt last night, was crystal clear, should have set the 20" up last night! I think I could have got the horse head around 2am last night had I set up the big dob, just so clear out.

Will check sporadically through the night until 3am. Off work tomorrow....

1 hour ago, don4l said:

I have a Mk1 version sitting in its case waiting for the ODK12 it's going on, and the obsy that's going around it. one frustrating delay after another.

The sky is still *just* this side of doable, but only just, and it's a year since I completed on buying this house, where did the time go?

6 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Does this count 😍

B2052CC0-ED98-4392-9B3B-9D522BB4BDDB.jpeg

Brilliant......looks like it is pointing at Saturn....

• Like 3

On 26/10/2019 at 18:09, paul mc c said:

WOW.....i had a 12" one and loved it,still dont know why i sold it 😕,get it on Saturn.....and any globs that are about.

@paul mc c it is indeed.  You suggested this in the other thread and I was like 'great idea' so I did it.  Easy thing for the kids to see.  I showed them Albireo too, but it was so cold and there were just after a bath, so that was enough!

• Like 2

Brilliant!!  Little boy and a big telescope. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gina said:

Brilliant!!  Little boy and a big telescope. :thumbsup:

If he's not careful, he might fall inside and get lost :)

James

• Haha 2

I've called it a night for tonight.  The sky started getting a bit hazy, guiding clearly wasn't happy and all my blue subs look to have eggy stars as a result :(

I did get a bonus for staying out so long though.  Whilst waiting for everything to finish I was standing in the scope room trying to see M31 without looking at it whilst it's close to the zenith and saw two very nice meteors in quick succession heading roughly northwards from the vicinity of M31.

James

Bit of a strange one here tonight, I have been filling the M31 bucket until it got to the meridian PHD spot on 0.5" RMS on Dec and RA. Slew to M1 same part of the sky where I started M31 earlier. PHD now all over the shop 1.52" RA and 1.96 Dec. This is after I did the "guiding assistant" routine. Running EQMOD Pec at the same time. No cable snags and the mount is fairly well balanced. Same conditions as previously. Any ideas out there?

K

I'll let this run, though the MW has almost vanished, and the Quintet is barely visible on the screen. I think this might be as far as I'm taking this as I'm into diminishing returns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

I have a Mk1 version sitting in its case waiting for the ODK12 it's going on, and the obsy that's going around it. one frustrating delay after another.

The sky is still *just* this side of doable, but only just, and it's a year since I completed on buying this house, where did the time go?

Good luck getting it up and running.

Have you taken any images with it yet?

The only real surprise that I had was that SIPS produces data that is vertically mirrored to everything else that I use.  I took my initial darks and bias frames with SIPS and then got very confused when I tried to calibrate images taken with CCDCiel.  Mirroring the darks solved everything.

Not got any images yet, been setting up in Maxim. It's such a lump that putting it on the 130 triplet would throw the balance so far out as to make rebalancing problematic.

Well even though CO has said 90 percent high cloud cover between 8-11pm all day it's been completely clear instead.

Been imaging since 7pm on M33, 5 minute subs.

Can see Orion's Belt when I just had a look outside, I don't know why but I always find it quite magical to see :)

It's cold and crisp out but no dew like the other night.

Edited by smr

36 minutes ago, KevS said:

Bit of a strange one here tonight, I have been filling the M31 bucket until it got to the meridian PHD spot on 0.5" RMS on Dec and RA. Slew to M1 same part of the sky where I started M31 earlier. PHD now all over the shop 1.52" RA and 1.96 Dec. This is after I did the "guiding assistant" routine. Running EQMOD Pec at the same time. No cable snags and the mount is fairly well balanced. Same conditions as previously. Any ideas out there?

K

Re-calibrate PHD2 and see if it persists. Shift-click on the "Guide" button to force it.