Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Fireworks don't seem to be causing too much of a problem.

Here are the first 3 x 5m subs:-

Sum Bubble.jpg

• Like 4

Well, the sky is clear so taking a punt on getting 5 hours (Yeah, right) Luminance data on Stephan and Deer. don't know how far I'll get with it, and it won't finish until 20 past 1 or so, but here goes.

My local Morrisons is selling fireworks 2 for the price of one :mad:. They must be desperate.

I've just kicked off some LRGB captures on the Crescent.  I have enough of Ha and OIII for the time being I hope, but I'm still a bit short on the others.  Not sure how far I'll get without any dew heaters though.  It is cold out there tonight...

Had a few problems sorting out focus having changed the focuser.  Last time it was vaguely clear I discovered I needed a longer T2 extension with the Steeltrak focuser so I fixed that.  However, it appears that the focuser itself needs a little adjustment as it slips when the OTA is close to vertical as it is right now (the Crescent being only a little past the meridian).  Took me a few minutes to work out what was going on there.  I did get there in the end and the focus is locked now, but I'll need to sort it in the longer term.

Now things are running I can sit down to dinner.  It's a nice feeling knowing you're capturing data whilst doing something completely different :)

James

• Like 1

Fortunately I decided to check focus and orientation. Both were way out, but corrected now. Would have been a real bummer to have 5 hours of out-of-focus subs, off orthogonal too.

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1

Looks like thin high cloud here.  A few of the brighter stars showing.

14 minutes ago, DaveS said:

My local Morrisons is selling fireworks 2 for the price of one :mad:. They must be desperate.

Some barn pot near me has decided that the 5th of November has come early. Oh for a 3 inch mortar and their Lat & Long. On a happier note really clear skies and good seeing here this evening. Just into my 14th hour on M31, determined to get a good one.

Good luck everyone and clear skies

K

Well I'm testing some shots so far, with the combination of the transparency and my neighbours security light they only seem to turn on when I go outside, images seem quite fuzzy unfortunately, so this may not go to plan tonight.

Edited by Pullock
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Well, the sky is clear so taking a punt on getting 5 hours (Yeah, right) Luminance data on Stephan and Deer. don't know how far I'll get with it, and it won't finish until 20 past 1 or so, but here goes.

Well that didn't last long :mad:. Got one 10 min sub in then cloud has come over. Stopped the run but left the 'scope tracking. Will see if it clears, but I don't hold out much hope.

• Sad 2

Can barely see much more than Capella through the high cloud, so I think an evening in front of the hi-fi beckons.

Regards, Mike.

Thin, high stuff started to appear, so I decided to try something brighter.  I've just started on a long overdue ngc7000, and the transparency seems to be improving again.  Fireworks seem to be further away now - so fingers crossed!

Looking at my subs so far, the transparency almost looks like soup. So many fireworks round here, not sure what else to try besides M31. It's easy to frame considering I'm still fairly new to imaging with a tracker and not using my GoTo scope.

Parked the 'scope and warming up the camera. Going to have my tea then I'll decide if I want to risk some more subs. It might be a night for visual cloud dodging.

1 minute ago, Pullock said:

Looking at my subs so far, the transparency almost looks like soup. So many fireworks round here, not sure what else to try besides M31. It's easy to frame considering I'm still fairly new to imaging with a tracker and not using my GoTo scope.

I find https://telescopius.com/ works pretty well for figuring out what to try and image on any given night. If you go to the targets->deep sky tab (after you've set your location, of course!) and plug in the sort of stuff you fancy as well as your field of view, then sort by surface brightness or magnitude, you'll get nice bright targets suited to more manual alignment...

• Like 1

Just now, discardedastro said:

I find https://telescopius.com/ works pretty well for figuring out what to try and image on any given night. If you go to the targets->deep sky tab (after you've set your location, of course!) and plug in the sort of stuff you fancy as well as your field of view, then sort by surface brightness or magnitude, you'll get nice bright targets suited to more manual alignment...

Ooh thank you I'll try that I've used that for checking the seeing conditions but never anything more.

Just now, Pullock said:

Ooh thank you I'll try that I've used that for checking the seeing conditions but never anything more.

It's pretty good - the telescope simulator there is a good way to check what your framing is likely to look like. I tried a few desktop tools for it but never got anywhere far - I keep meaning to make my own webapp for this, since Telescopius doesn't have all the features I'd like and it's very javascripty...

Just now, discardedastro said:

It's pretty good - the telescope simulator there is a good way to check what your framing is likely to look like. I tried a few desktop tools for it but never got anywhere far - I keep meaning to make my own webapp for this, since Telescopius doesn't have all the features I'd like and it's very javascripty..

I may try some of those after I reposition so I can see them, I wish Orion would rise earlier as that's the main one I want to practice on given its size and magnitude.

• Like 1

Gulp!

Well, NGC7000 is quite bright, isn't it?

I'm almost embarrassed about this.  This is a single 10 minute sub.  The sky doesn't even look that great, and it feels so damp that it almost feels like it's raining.  I've changed to OIII after just one sub, so I will get some sort of image tonight.

Did I say that I'm quite pleased with the new camera?

ngc7000_H_Alpha_001.jpg

Edited by don4l
  • Like 4

One of the brightest nebulae in the sky!

22 minutes ago, don4l said:

That's a fantastic frame! Feeling quite miffed with this little target I'm playing with tonight, it's not a very bright one and I'm not really getting a lot of signal in my 300s subs. ASI183MM isn't ideal for dimmer stuff, I feel. Larger/more sensitive frame would be awesome. On the plus side, guiding has improved - up to .84" total RMS.

2 minutes ago, Gina said:

One of the brightest nebulae in the sky!

I didn't realise just how bright it is.

I wonder what it looks like through a big Dob?  I had a look at M20 once through a 22", and it looked just like a mono photo..... I must stop thinking these thoughts.

• Haha 1

Sky's cleared so off again, but only 3 hour's Luminance rather than 5. 

4 minutes ago, discardedastro said:

That's a fantastic frame! Feeling quite miffed with this little target I'm playing with tonight, it's not a very bright one and I'm not really getting a lot of signal in my 300s subs. ASI183MM isn't ideal for dimmer stuff, I feel. Larger/more sensitive frame would be awesome. On the plus side, guiding has improved - up to .84" total RMS.

You wouldn't get that fantastic detail with a larger field of view.  I had a quick look a couple of weeks ago, and it looks lost in the centre of a huge field. 

35 minutes ago, don4l said:

Gulp!

Well, NGC7000 is quite bright, isn't it?

I'm almost embarrassed about this.  This is a single 10 minute sub.  The sky doesn't even look that great, and it feels so damp that it almost feels like it's raining.  I've changed to OIII after just one sub, so I will get some sort of image tonight.

ngc7000_H_Alpha_001.jpg

Thats a cracking sub, can I ask what camera (appologies if I missed you mention it)