Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Wind's settled down and it looks like it's stopped raining for the moment.

Got conflicting forecasts for tomorrow and the week, CO has solid red until Tue, then only amber, while MO is showing clear sky. Who do you believe? Yeah, right.

I wish , and I'm down in a very dark location all week on holiday with no prospects of clear nights 😢

Drizzle and murk here!!  Must have turned colder outside too coz the winders have steamed up!

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

Drizzle and murk here!!  Must have turned colder outside too coz the winders have steamed up!

Ditto here Gina, same old gloom. CO maintains I have a chance tomorrow night, but I have seen that before. Just forked out on a new 72 mm apo tube so I consider I am at least partially to blame. 

K

• Like 1

It's been pretty much the same here as for Gina today.  However, the forecast for tomorrow is clear sky from sunrise until well into Monday morning.

In other news, I'm looking for a buyer for this bridge I happen to own...

James

Clearing up nicely here.

Just took a 60s Lum test shot to test the sky. Looks ok. M31

image.png.22ada5904712c7a2637f99ffa5744969.png

• Like 2

I would say sorry to rub it in, but up until yesterday I have had nothing but heavy cloud, rain, thunderstorms, and when not raining thick wet dripping fog for three weeks.

lots of horse tails, but hoping they clear, alarm set for midnight, no work first thing in the morning so fingers crossed. Hopefully an hour of visual treats then sticking the Nikon with 200 mm lense on the mount and taking 60 plus Andromeda pics for stacking. Early days stuff but having something to work with teaches this knew to astrophotography person how the software works.

Good luck everyone, I hope your skies clear. Marv

• Like 1

I forgot to say... As a measure of how bad the weather has been today, it is the first day since I think mid-April that I have not worn shorts.  I was thinking I might make it as far as November, but I got up this morning, looked out of the window and thought "there's no need for masochism".

James

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I would say sorry to rub it in, but up until yesterday I have had nothing but heavy cloud, rain, thunderstorms, and when not raining thick wet dripping fog for three weeks.

I've been vaguely aware that there's been some pretty bad weather recently in parts of France, Spain and Italy too I think.  Whereabouts in France are you?

James

Southwest, biggest town is Montauban. My problem is that people see ‘South of France’ and think lovely. The unguarded Atlantic coast is just over and hour away South. The Pyrenees are the same distance south which brings problems.

The flip side is, if you can see the mountains from the top of the lane then conditions are set to be amazing, and I could see snow on the peaks this morning at sunrise.......

Typical.

We have an extra hour of darkness, and it is completely cloudy.

Goodnight.

Just got back from the daily wolf walk, fantastic sun rise this morning and blue sky wall-to-wall, hope it lasts. CO says good until about 23:00. Debating what to have a pop at, at the moment I am working through the Messier catalogue but garden is waterlogged after the 40mm we had yesterday so lawn is out; decisions decisions.

K

well it was forecast green with 0 percent cloud all day and all night, well into 4 am tomorrow morning....

now it's green all day and then red at 7pm-11pm. Hmpff, typical at new moon as well.

I'd got excited about getting lots of imaging in tonight. There's no point in looking at the forecast even a day before I think is the point. 

Won't bother now will just watch the F1 tonight in the warmth instead. 

• Like 1

Last night was clear with good seeing and little wind. And didn’t APT crash 7 subs in to a run. Got up this morning at 5:30 to see this 😩 F#*%

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Last night was clear with good seeing and little wind. And didn’t APT crash 7 subs in to a run. Got up this morning at 5:30 to see this 😩 F#*%

Did you get the huge scope working?

14 minutes ago, don4l said:

Did you get the huge scope working?

Thanks for asking! I didn’t. It rained until 11:15pm despite a completely clear forecast. At that point I had no help with it so I didn’t risk dropping it during assembly.  It’s not that heavy (still heavy enough) and can be split into 2 pieces but I’m not familiar with it, it cost £10k, and it’s not mine! It’s going to be clear tonight also I decided to leave it until then 👍🏻 
Im planning on viewing Saturn early on and then do a night sky tour.  I’m off work tomorrow so that’s a bonus. 

• Like 1

After much whinging from me yesterday I eventually managed about 3 hours of beautiful clear skies. The seeing was also pretty good. Did a tour of Cassiopeia especially NGC 457 then moved over to Albireo in Cygnus spent about 20 minutes observing this beautiful double. The pale blue companion really showed its colours last night. Spent about an hour with the little Messier clusters in Auriga. Moved on to the double cluster as always,Beautiful in my new Morpheus 17.5mm. Had some time at M45 as always. Tried to split Polaris at 18x but struggled.

A good night. The main thing was to try out new equipment. Sharpstar 61 EDPH and the Morpheus 17.5mm. It looks as though there may be more Morpheus coming in the future. I thought the views with this set up were quite neutral with no noticeable CA. I think this little fast refractor was on par with a Tak 60CB I used to own. Stress level lowered for now.

Glen.

• Like 3

Just been out to shut the chickens in for the night and I'm not sure what to make of the sky at the moment.  The alleged clear skies failed to arrive today -- whilst it has been sunny there's been a lot of thin high cloud too.  I suspect that might continue into the night :(

James