Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep21_banner.thumb.jpg.d744e66b98367f1c5d57b7966c303f1b.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Was blowing a gale earlier but wind has dropped to just a breeze now. Looks like a truly miserable wet day tomorrow though. Not setting foot outside tomorrow. ☔☔☔

• Like 2

Same here, but I have my new laptop to set up so it suits me to be tucked up inside. Over the last 8 hours I have installed most of my legacy software and copied some data over from my obs laptop. I'm now processing my M39 data captured earlier this week. It's good to get back to some processing after a 3 week hiatus, since my previous laptop died....

I have some data to process but I just can't seem to get round to it.  Don't really feel like it ATM.

I'm busy taking and processing a bunch of flats.  I usually cannot be bothered at the end of an evening's imaging.  I've been using an OIII flat for everything for the last 6 weeks.

Well that was fun, daughter let the dogs out for a tinkle and asked if I was imaging... "Uh no, its blowing a gale and torrential rain!" I reply, "why is the observatory open then?" she asks calmly.

Got out there and tried to close the roof aperture but the handle was missing.... no... the aperture was missing. Eventually located it in the hedgerow of the adjacent field. Wind had ripped it off pulling the bearings clean out of the fibreglass.

Everything inside soaked through but managed to get the roof back on and locked down again. I have oriented it so its not getting the brunt of the gale but wether it holds up for the night is another question.

To make things a little more interesting said daughter decided using the garden as a slip and slide would be fun so there was a momentary pause in the towelling down of astro gear to decide if any bones were broken or if it was just pride hurt.

Too dark, windy and wet to try and figure out whats going to survive. Mount scope and cams were all soaked. The wind is picking up again and my ratchet straps are nowhere to be seen, we are fairly used to strong winds living in a shed up a hill - but I guess I need to put some better protection in place for the dome aperture :(

• Sad 3

OMG - hope everything will be alright when it's dried out.

18 minutes ago, upahill said:

Well that was fun, daughter let the dogs out for a tinkle and asked if I was imaging... "Uh no, its blowing a gale and torrential rain!" I reply, "why is the observatory open then?" she asks calmly.

Not good at all :(

Hopefully the water will dry off most things without too much bother, especially as (if I recall correctly) there's no power out there when you're not using it.  Bit of a shock that things can come loose in the wind though.

James

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gina said:

OMG - hope everything will be alright when it's dried out.

Thanks, me too. I think it will be alright. It *might* be starting to calm a little out there now - havent heart the roof creak in a while.

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

Not good at all :(

Hopefully the water will dry off most things without too much bother, especially as (if I recall correctly) there's no power out there when you're not using it.  Bit of a shock that things can come loose in the wind though.

James

Power to the pier was off, the laptop will survive as that thing is bullet proof and cheap anyway. The mount is pretty used to being damp externally from all the dew so not too worried about that either or the DSLR.

I had a quick look at the quad and whilst it was wet on the outside the covers were all in place so the glass seems unaffected. None of the gear has had an easy life so im not overly panicky about it, just more annoyed that despite being locked the wind was able to grab the aperture and rip it off the runners. Its torn the little grommet thingys out of the fibreglass so a fibreglass repair is in order.

Everything but the mount is now in the barn where it will remain until after SGLSP, with the current forecast its not likely ill get any imaging done anyway and im going to have to fit some latch locks on the inside of the aperture and cover up the open gap around the circumference of the dome I think before I trust any gear in there again.

Only got myself to blame, I havent trusted the mechanism or design of that aperture since I got the dome but kept putting off improving it to tackle other projects.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, upahill said:

Only got myself to blame, I havent trusted the mechanism or design of that aperture since I got the dome but kept putting off improving it to tackle other projects.

We're all guilty of that when there's not enough time to go around...

James

• Like 1

Just home from work. Rainning hard. Had to be careful as there were broken trees along village roads. 

20 hours ago, geoflewis said:

I feel your pain right now. My new laptop arrive just after lunch, so I'm now installing all my legacy software, saved browser bookmarks, etc., accompianied by lots of sighs and sucked in breaths as things don't work first time due to user error. As you say, strees is high at the momemnt as I hate doing this, but it's gotta be done.....

It will probably will take me a few days to get everything sorted and I'll be glad when I can get back to processing astro images.....

Yeah, been through that numerous times, exasperating for sure.

The trouble is that I'm not sure if I have a collimation problem with my little Sharpstar and I can't get out to test it. The stress is building. Continuous rain since receiving my Baader Morpheus 17.5mm. Not holding out much hope with a 2.75 diopter cylinder (astigmatism) in both eyes😭

Glen.

• Like 1

Tipping down here and still windy!!

20 hours ago, Gina said:

Raining again.  I'm fed up!!  Rain, rain and yet more rain.  Occasional sunshine during the day but not today and even then the clouds come in for the night!!  I abandoned imaging for a couple of years but have come back.  Well, I say that but I'm not being allowed to do much!  Giving up and selling off most of my expensive equipment has a certain appeal but pretty much everything I do is towards imaging in some form.  Selling a lot of the equipment would give transport problems such as telescopes having glass and very heavy mounts plus what about the observatory??!!  I dunno...

Never an easy decision, Gina. I don't think any of us know what to do for the best. The night sky keeps drawing me back to it though. Those nights of perfect seeing...

Glen.

• Like 1

When was that then????  😄

• Haha 2

Driving to Surrey today for my grandson’s 20th birthday tomorrow, back on Monday, so no astro for me this week end. Of course the forecast for Sunday night is continuous clear skies - typical...!!

Stop making promises for clear skies Geoff😀

Glen.

• Like 1

Not here it isn't!!!  Solid red!!

Heavy rain here but the wind has decreased a bit so 45° rain!

And I'm still fed up!!  Gradually looking into my ASC project but not with much enthusiasm!  Can't even go out and see where the bits may be going!  There a limit to what you can do with photographs!  The mud is getting deeper too.

Seems to have stopped raining here now too - don't know how long for.

3 minutes ago, Gina said:

Seems to have stopped raining here now too - don't know how long for.

It's eased off here too but now comes the annoying bit, the fields that have a load of surface water start draining via our lane, already eroded a foot deep channel. Not too bad in the 4x4 but the OH has to get back in a lowered Mini! The landdrains are all full here too so our drainpipes are working in reverse at the moment, glorious fountains of mud water 😂

72366434_568543583970948_3436069056224952320_n.jpg.ffc70fc2ab7489d0900888c9c7027b1e.jpg

A few weeks ago the landowners dumped a few hundred tonnes of stone on this lane, levelled it out and spread it over about 1km of track. By the end of today it will all be at the bottom of the lane again 🤐

• Sad 1