Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

27 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

will be interesting to see how long a run I get....

.......possibly not very long as now lots of high passing cloud....😖, will stick with it for a few frames to see if it improves......

It's been intermittent thin cloud here. Decided to focus on Melotte 15 in H-alpha. Here's 2h 30m. DSS Live Autostack only stretched. But I think that's me done for tonight.

IC1805_Ha_150mins.thumb.jpg.c9de2023b25ba5e826f7b183d3390808.jpg

• Like 4

As of late afternoon, the Met Office forecast was showing a clear evening locally. I planned to view and photograph Comet 2017 T2 PanSTARRS.

However, the clear slot got pushed further and further back in later forecasts - until just an hour around midnight was expected clear. It's now after midnight, still cloudy, and I've got to be up at 6:30. What's more, Clear Outside shows solid red for the next 7 days. Luckily, that comet will be around for a while yet! 😀

Good night, all, and good luck!

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 1

We have warnings for yellow rain for the next few days.  Looks like it could be into next week before I see clear sky again :(

James

Sky continues to deteriorate here, so after 1 hour (6x10 min) of less than ideal subs, I'm calling it a wrap and shutting down. Goodnight all....

3 minutes ago, JamesF said:

We have warnings for yellow rain for the next few days.  Looks like it could be into next week before I see clear sky again :(

James

Yellow rain?  Sounds gruesome.  I'd stay indoors if I were you.

On a more positive note - I just clicked the "refresh" button on CO, and half of next week turned green!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, don4l said:

Yellow rain?  Sounds gruesome.  I'd stay indoors if I were you.

It quite clearly says "Yellow rain warning".  I think you're probably right.

James

• Haha 2

The meteor! Did anyone see that meteor at 23:52 tonight!!?? Here in NE Scotland sky very clear and hovering around 0C at my dark site II. I'll mention my observing later (nice aurora on the N horizon as well!), but did anyone catch that giant meteor!! I was packing up and thought someone flashed a high power torch my direction, I spun around, and caught the end of it, the trail glowed for a couple of seconds before it faded away. I've seen a couple of good ones, but this way right up there, if not the brightest. I only really got the flash out of the corner of my eye and the glowing trail afterwards...meh, but it was a biggie! Was southerly, maybe 50-60deg up. Took a screenshot of the time to remember - 23:52. 

• Like 3

It really grinds my gears when I have new equipment to try out. Stress is high at the moment. It makes me wonder if it's all worth while sometimes. I don't know how other people cope with this, very stressful after spending some of the childrens inheritance.

Glen.

Edited by GlenM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GlenM said:

It really grinds my gears when I have new equipment to try out. Stress is high at the moment. It makes me wonder if it's all worth while sometimes. I don't know how other people cope with this, very stressful after spending some of the childrens inheritance.

Glen.

I feel your pain right now. My new laptop arrive just after lunch, so I'm now installing all my legacy software, saved browser bookmarks, etc., accompianied by lots of sighs and sucked in breaths as things don't work first time due to user error. As you say, strees is high at the momemnt as I hate doing this, but it's gotta be done.....

It will probably will take me a few days to get everything sorted and I'll be glad when I can get back to processing astro images.....

• Sad 1

Raining again.  I'm fed up!!  Rain, rain and yet more rain.  Occasional sunshine during the day but not today and even then the clouds come in for the night!!  I abandoned imaging for a couple of years but have come back.  Well, I say that but I'm not being allowed to do much!  Giving up and selling off most of my expensive equipment has a certain appeal but pretty much everything I do is towards imaging in some form.  Selling a lot of the equipment would give transport problems such as telescopes having glass and very heavy mounts plus what about the observatory??!!  I dunno...

• Sad 2

Rain, and blowing with it.

You have my sympathies Gina, it's just been one long exercise in frustration. I have a small-car's worth of kit in the garden doing nothing but requiring general attention to keep damp at bay. I have quite a nice car's worth of kit still to be put into an obsy which has yet another delay as the firm contracted to build the foundation platform emailed me to say that their schedules had slipped due to the foul weather, putting the date back from an already very late 6th Nov to 25th Nov.

Seriously fed up, and wondering why I spent all that money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

One good reason I'm not into imaging is purely the stress and huge expense.

I do sometimes take single shots of the night sky but I'm not into processing the images.

For me its visual.

If it's clear outside i can be setup in less than 5 minutes. 

However its frustrating when it's cloudy for weeks on end. 😪

• Like 3

If I had decent eyes I might try observing but OTOH don't like the cold either.  Two reasons for imaging instead of observing in winter at night.  Solar Ha observing in summer might be possible.  May look into that next year.  I suffer from SAD and depression generally and on tablets for it.  When things are going well, I'm alright but the weather is really getting me down ATM!

Edited by Gina
cent spall
  • Sad 1

BBC predicting rain and cloud for the foreseable here :(

I should be using the time to get in the obsy and finish off other jobs like wiring and cleaning but the household job list keeps growing too so a bit torn (its warm in the house at least)

I also need to clean and prep the caravan for SGLSP by Thursday which is looking less and less likely.

Lashing down here so no hope, CO tells me I might have a chance Sunday. Partially my fault just bought a new tube.😭

18 hours ago, don4l said:

Yellow rain?  Sounds gruesome.

This sprang to mind!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, KevS said:

Lashing down here so no hope, CO tells me I might have a chance Sunday. Partially my fault just bought a new tube.😭

I am very suspicious of CO at the moment....seems to go from completely overcast to completely clear at 02:00 on Sunday.........I am sure something else happens at that time ?

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Kev M said:

I am very suspicious of CO at the moment....seems to go from completely overcast to completely clear at 02:00 on Sunday.........I am sure something else happens at that time ?

I'm delving into a book on quantum theory at the mo, starting to think there may be a connection, the random red, orange and green pixels appearing on the forecast seem to have a mind of their own and bear little if no correlation to reality. 😣

• Like 2

Heavy horizontal rain here!!  :clouds2:  That emoticon needs turning on its side!!

Edited by Gina
  • Haha 1

Blowing a hoolie, I think it's going to be a sleepless night.

• Like 1