Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep21_banner.thumb.jpg.d744e66b98367f1c5d57b7966c303f1b.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Here it started out foggy, but the sky was blue.  Then it got foggier.  And foggier.  It has stayed that way all day.  Just been to pick up my daughter on her return from a school trip to Eurodisney and it has drizzled for the entire hour and a half I was out.  And it's still grey -- so much that the car headlights are more effective on dip than main beam.

I hate days like this :(

James

I've got the same lone orange slot at 9 o/c tomorrow. I shalln't be bothering.

Nor me.

Had a quick "play", trying for galaxy C57 Sgr with the Dob, but the lack of guide stars (and a neighbours string of sparkling lights in their conservatory - grrr) made it hard to get started.  So I just aimed for my fave, the Double Cluster, enjoyed it, and packed up.  I'm gonna have to do more very early morning sessions!

Doug.

Me neither. To n ... tired after staying out to past 2:30 last night. It didn't look clear enough anyway when I looked out earlier. 

Clouded out here.  I'm busy processing last night's data.

couple of hours window here between 8pm and 10pm. Think I might get some more data on M33. 

Everything is so wet though, I just set my camera tripod up outside and recorded a couple of timelapses of the sunset. Everything is dripping even after half an hour outside, so much moisture in the air...

Just looking outside now. Clear areas with huge cumulus clouds hanging about. Its supposed to clear more by 8pm....Will wait a while before opening the roof......Just in case 😮 

The forecast here is for heavy showers and then some clear sky, so I imagine the seeing will probably be quite poor.  It may be sufficient to do a bit of testing though.

James

Solid red for the whole week and into next.

Much the same here!   I really don't know why I look at CO, it's seldom right!

Been a lovely sunny day here with blue sky but just as the sun was going down the clouds came over and not it's total!

Edited by Gina

It's a mixed forecast for here tonight. BBC says clear after 11pm through 2am, whereas CO says 90%-100% cloud cover, others anywhere in between, so the best forecast will probably be stepping outside and looking up......!! Lots of rain here throughout today, so everything is drenched and I suspect that even if it does clear it might turn foggy similar to last night.....

Looked good an hour ago so I set my scope up. Popped out once I'd finished supper to find it raining !

No issues with the scope or mount other than having to tear it down rather quickly.

By the time I had it inside, the stars were showing again ....... :rolleyes2:

More clouds and rain forecast later though so I probably won't bother setting up again.

Just took the opportunity to get out with the H130p to test drive my new-to-me WO EZ touch mount. 

My wife took the nipper out in the sling to lidl so that gave me at least 20 mins to get outside and have a go. This is the first time I've been out in October. Sky was clear with scudding clouds. Bortle 7 skies for me. 

First stop, the double double. Started at high mag (x145 mag with 10mm BCO and 2.25x barlow) showing a nice wide split, went down through the powers to the 8mm BST (x80 mag), still showing a nice split. Not quite split with the 10mm BCO (x65 mag) but definite elongation. 

Next over to the Ring....  nicely defined circular smudge with 30mm NPL and 18mm BCO, showed distinct ring shape using the 6mm BCO with averted vision but not quite looking directly.

Then over to the Dumbell, not sure I've ever observed this from my garden before. Not really enough stars visible to allow star hopping but drawing an imaginary line between Altair and Sadr and scanning around just below the halfway point of that line with the 30mm NPL and I soon picked it up. Faint grey smudge with slight oval shape with averted vision. Could barely see it directly. 

That was it! Nice little 20 min session and I really like this EZ touch and H130p combo. Even under bright skies there is stuff to see. Looking forward to getting my incoming 6" mak on it to see how it handles high power. 

20191024_191704.jpg

• Like 5

Well after my neighbours security light being on for a short time, the star adventurer is set up firing away at M31, Images look noisier than normal tonight though, just have to keep an eye on it and hope I can get rid of it in post.

• Like 1

Raining now.

Well I got about 30 x 5 minute subs in, it's been quite nice and the sky looks a lot better than last night, a huge blanket of high cloud has just started coming over though, looks like something out of Independence Day 😂 Time to take some flats and call it a night for Astro.

Cloudy and incredibly damp here.  I could do with an early night anyway.

• Like 2

Got my darks and bias done and packed up just as the clouds came in, pretty good timing for once.

• Like 1

I decided to create a new sequence for flats and flatdarks for my revised 4" TSAPO + QSI583 tonight to calibrate the RGB subs that I captured on M39 a couple of nights ago. Whilst at it I'm also shooting L and Ha flats / flatdarks. Download speeds with this camera and my low spec Obs laptop are pretty slow so shooting the 200 frames required for the 5 filters HaLRGB is taking a long time. Typically the skies have now cleared and the rig is now otherwise engaged.....🙄

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1

Out tonight myself, after 2 hours of glitches. Finally started imaging just before 10. I have 1 hour on the Cocoon and starting a second panel below it 

• Like 3

Forecast rather ropey, but turned out pretty good. Set the imaging rig going on m31 then had the Dob out for the first time in 3 weeks. 15 minutes of cloud around 9 but otherwise good. Just about nabbed m74. Total cloud now.

• Like 2

F2.8 does a good job! 55 mins of exposure with no calibration and it looks nice. 

4C627826-31ED-41BA-8964-B625DCE4720E.png

• Like 3

I'm just home from work.

I may go out with my binoculars in a while.

• Like 2

I finished my flats and flatdarks sequences, so have now just started a lum sequence on M39 - will be interesting to see how long a run I get....

• Like 1