Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Clouds still holding off so set comet time lapse running again, just make out Milky Way overhead so pretty clear still, Orion looking good and Moon rising.

Dave

• Like 3

You lucky devils. Nearly three weeks of terrible weather and has been caning down most of the night. Can hear it drumming on the roof. Small river running down the drive!

I've had a pleasant evening out under the stars tonight here in Cornwall. Just come in. I decided it wasn't really clear enough for any imaging. So I spent the time looking at various objects in Auriga, Persius, Gemini and Orion partly with bins and with scope.  Had a quick look at Uranus too. 

• Like 3

Glad some had clear skies.  Might have cleared here but early start this morning so didn't wait.

This seems unlikely but hope springs eternal 🤣  All red and orange until then but who knows - the forecasters certainly don't seem to!!!

51984044_Screenshotfrom2019-10-2307-54-08.png.14eef47467c579831f1032da25e3c424.png

• Like 1

I had a couple of hours gloriously clear here, although the seeing was poorish well above the horizon and appalling lower down. With M31 nearly overhead, it was interesting to see that it was easily visible with the naked eye, and I had a hint of M33 as well. I had my first look of the season at some wider Orion doubles until heavy dewing (finder, EPs and me, not the scope which doesn't dew much now I've thermally stabilised it) set in.

I had a surprise visit from a timber wolf-sized German Shepherd which appeared from nowhere and jumped on me (literally) in my garden while I was peering down the eyepiece! Friendly though, and after a second or so rushed off to find its owner.

Chris

Edited by chiltonstar
  • Like 2

Tremendous dew this morning - everything outdoors literally running with water.

We have thick fog here this morning, too.  And blue sky.  Very odd.

James

There's still fog in the valley - above it here.  Some blue sky and some cloud. 

Still waiting for the Rayburn repair man!  He's late!  Very late!  No phone call so maybe he's on his way.  He's phoned in the past when delayed or diverted to an urgent job.  Think I'll have a cuppa while I'm waiting...

Edited by Gina

Just rung him and he's on his way - had to gather up some bits, he said.  Hmmm...

This seems unlikely but hope springs eternal 🤣  All red and orange until then but who knows - the forecasters certainly don't seem to!!!

51984044_Screenshotfrom2019-10-2307-54-08.png.14eef47467c579831f1032da25e3c424.png

Can some-one explain how to interpret CO.

I always look at the total clouds, but Gina is talking about the Orange and red at the top.  So what does that top band refer to?

Would be handy if there could be a key on the website. 

Carole 

The top bar is sky quality.  Don't know if there's more info somewhere.

Red is the ground state of the weather, all the others are excited states. The weather will naturally drop into its ground state, emitting depressions* as it does so.

*The vector boson of gloom.

• Haha 3

As expected all the slightly hopeful green and orange has turned solid red.

Don't just not post your plans on here, don't even think them 'cos the weather gods will hear your thoughts and stuff up your plans for a giggle :mad:. A tinfoil hat won't work either. Tried that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gina said:

Tremendous dew this morning - everything outdoors literally running with water.

Next door's flat roof looked like it had been rained on, and there was thick mist when I got up. clearing now.

Rayburn man is here and has got the old boiler/firebox out but still lots to do.

Thanks Gina for the link to CO. 

I think I get it now.

Top bar (The one that is viewable daily), means Red for no hope.  Yellow for a possiblity, green for all clear.

Carole 

• Like 1

Rayburn now has new boiler/firebox fixed in place with all the bits and pieces transferred from the old one.  More to do yet and another replacement part to get.  Booked in to continue next Wednesday afternoon.  The worst part is done just the fiddly bits left.  Not that the firebox/boiler wasn't fiddly though more like ultra awkward!!

• Like 2

Sunny and clear here all day👍 but now its cloudy👎.

I think I will wander into Haiku

That was a lovely sky

How pleasing

But now its gone:mad2:

Raining here too :clouds2:

Just a thin drizzle here.

It's trying very hard to go totally RED!!!

1829457983_Screenshotfrom2019-10-2320-00-18.png.eaeaa5af1c8fd93a608d3c7791e34ede.png