Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

'night Gina, hope the Rayburn man gets the job done.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave.  I may have a report tomorrow...  A final goodnight...  Shutting down computer.  Over and out.

Edited by Gina

1 minute ago, don4l said:

I'm having a great night.

Glad to hear it :thumbright:

2 minutes ago, don4l said:

Is the APO new?

No, I've had about 5 years, but since I got the QSI camera its been a bind when I want to swap between scopes as the Optec lens has an American STL 2.156" mount which is great as it yields a wider FOV than a standard T-mount, but I didn't have a matching 2" nose for the 4" APO. Consequently I found myself just shooting with one or the other for much of a season. Now I can chose whatever target I want for either scope and just swap the camera in a matter of minutes 😀🤞

• Like 1

OK, it's holding up for the mo so running 2 hours Luminance, I think that'll be a late enough night for me.

• Like 3

I'm still going, even though I said I wouldn't. My first few subs saw FWHM drifting significantly, probably due to temp change (I can't auto monitor that), as I didn't acclimatise the scope, thinking that I wouldn't be imaging tonight. Hence, I had to discard a few 10 min sub and refocus, which has got me back on track, so will stay with it another hour or so I think, but really I will need to hit the sack after that.....

Side by side baby, yeah!!

20191022_225547.thumb.jpg.ff90db2b99446df18e0fecfc6491768c.jpg

A trial run really. ASI1600 on the Altair 102 and the ASI178 OSC on the WO GT71. Testing the water if it's a feasible option to collect Lum only with the 1600 and colour with the 178. The 178 has a much smaller chip but on the GT71 at 336mm it's a close match with regards to pixel scale with a slightly smaller FOV. Nearly didn't get off the ground this evening. I pointed at Vega with the 102 but the 71 was way off. I had to employ the use of tin foil and a guitar pick to align it! It's not perfect but close enough for testing purposes. Trying an hours worth of 60s unguided shots on the Pacman with Lum and OSC and both cameras controlled by APT. If I can salvage something out of this I might invest a bit further with an OAG and mono guide cam.

• Like 6

Still a lot of cloud cover here. Thinning but still too much to image through. 

MO says midnight will be clear. Waiting!! 🥴

Well, that didn't last long, barely had time to restart Sequence when cloud started to come over. Closed down now and put the electric blanket on for the 'scope.

Turning in now, 'night all and good observing / imaging to all those still playing.

• Like 4

Just closed up myself.  There really wasn't anything doing.  I reckon once the Moon gets up it'll be obvious that the sky really isn't that clear.  Grabbed a couple of frames from the Photoline 72 so I can check what the stars look like, and I think I have three jobs for tomorrow:

- find a longer spacer for the ED80
- check the Altair library version installed by INDI because I don't think it's the latest and is possibly causing problems
- set the filter order for the Photoline 72 in Ekos correctly

James

• Like 2

Not too bad here ATM so catching a few subs of Uranus and moons as it's nicely placed.

Dave

• Like 2

I've just been outside to check. Still plenty of moist clouds. Looks like, even if the clouds do clear, it will be misty. Imaging at f/10 will not show great results. I'll give it another 15 mins, if not change, then I'll call it a night and hope better luck tomorrow night instead.

Clearish in Oxfordshire... but the seeing is very poor...

• Sad 1

Just out now .

Here in Northampton viewing is quite good.

In fact not too bad st all. 😁

• Like 3

Camera is warming up as I have to go to work tomorrow.  204 mins decent looking data collected.  It is really nice when everything just works.

Goodnight everyone and clear skies.

[edit] I just had a look at the sky as I dismantled things.  It is magnicifent.  Auriga has risen above the trees, and I could imagine seeing the clusters in it.  I really need to spend more time actually looking up!

Edited by don4l
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Star101 said:

I've just been outside to check. Still plenty of moist clouds. Looks like, even if the clouds do clear, it will be misty. Imaging at f/10 will not show great results. I'll give it another 15 mins, if not change, then I'll call it a night and hope better luck tomorrow night instead.

Imaging OK here at f/10, done 20x120 sec's on Uranus with OSC now started a time lapse on comet Asassan.

Dave

• Like 2

Still cloudy here. Too late to get involved in imaging now. I was going to setup and leave it running (SGPro) while I went to bed but if it's cloudy, not much I can do :( 

• Sad 3

According to CO clouds are heading this way so may not complete my time lapse.

Dave

• Sad 3

Viewing the pliadies star cluster .

Nice Sharp stars.

With good black background with televue 26mm nagler on William optics zenithstar 73 .

• Like 3

Clouds coming over from the south west now. 

But I have to say very good viewing from midnight till now. 

• Like 3

Getting an unscheduled hour or two of imaging tonight, mostly M45. Hoping for some useable data as my guiding is finally playing ball.

• Like 4

Well for someone that wasn't going to do any imaging tonight, I've been going about 3 hours. I lost some early subs due to the scope not being temp acclimatised, but I've got 1 hour each (6x10min subs) of B+G on M39, plus 3x10min R, so will press on with the R to get 1 hour each for an RGB image.

• Like 4

Still got 30 minutes to go on my time lapse but can see cloud on the horizon now,

Dave

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Still got 30 minutes to go on my time lapse but can see cloud on the horizon now,

Dave

Fingers crossed you get it done 🤞. Good luck

• Like 1

That's it .... cloudy now. ....

It's a shame because it was quite stable .

I was prepared for a long late session. 

Still ... winter is soon upon us and should hopefully bring some crisp clear nights views. 😁

Bringing kit in now  

Nite all .

• Like 3

Ok, that's me finished for tonight too. Goodnight and good luck to anyone still going....

• Like 2