Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Just had a look outside and it's clear to the west but cloudy to the east - around 50% cloud cover.

Still clouded out. A few sars visible, but transparency not good, even between the cloud.

Imaging started here - and hoping for a few more hours.

• Like 3

Hopeless here in Central Cumbria.

I'm having a bash 😄

Guiding is a bit random but sticking with it, want to get some Ha, Oiii and Sii to play with.

IMAG0772_1.jpg

IMAG0773_1.jpg

• Like 1

A little more area of sky with stars here but the stars are not very bright and only the brightest are showing.  No good for imaging.

Yes, it kind of looks clear here, but actually there's not a huge amount visible.  I might nip out and have a quick play anyhow, just so I can remember how it all works :)

James

• Haha 1

Sky's clear and the Milky Way is visible (Though not the brightest I've seen) so running a quick hour of Blue to fill in some data on Stephan and Deer. I've set Sequence to stay open after it end so will see then.

• Like 1

Ok, so I couldn’t resist the clear sky, but tonight won’t be a long session as I’m travelling tomorrow.

As previously posted I purchased a new 2” nose for my QSI camera that fits the wider STL 1.125” face plate option on my camera that I need for the Optec telecompressor lens that I use with the C14, so that I can easily swap the camera between my 2 scopes. It turned out that I also needed a short extension tube to achieve focus with the 4” APO, which arrived this morning, so I had to give it a try. The great news is that I’m now in business with the 4” APO switching from the C14 without having to dismantle the camera. I  decided to shoot some subs on M39, which is missing from my personal Messier list and too large FOV for the C14. To say the least I’m a pretty happy bunny 🙂.

• Like 2

11pm that was green has now gone orange.....done this every time for the last fortnight....if not a month !

• Sad 3

got my fist sub in, looking reasonable, if not brilliant. If I lived somewhere with more clear nights I probably wouldn't have bothered, but beggars (Or another B word) can't be choosers, and we have to grab what we can, when we can.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kev M said:

11pm that was green has now gone orange.....done this every time for the last fortnight....if not a month !

Yup, seen too much of that myself, and now it's looking red for the end of my sequence. I think the weather gods are having a laugh at our expense :mad:.

CO for the week looks grim!  Just 2 hours of green late Thursday night but even that is partly cloudy.

It’s all my fault for buying TWO scopes recently. That really angered the weather gods. 😁

• Haha 4

Well I've packed all my gear for a trip to Galloway, so just to spite me, Surrey is lovely & clear....

1 minute ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Well I've packed all my gear for a trip to Galloway, so just to spite me, Surrey is lovely & clear....

Typical, but that should mean that @don4l just down the M4 from you is having a good night 😆

• Like 1

Well, I've been having a few niggles.  Turned everything on and INDI decided it couldn't see my Atik camera, despite it being in the list of devices connected to the USB bus.  I eventually discovered that INDI seems to have two Atik drivers and only one of them works.  Not sure if this might be a change since I upgraded Kstars etc. recently.

James

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It’s all my fault for buying TWO scopes recently. That really angered the weather gods. 😁

Worried about what will happen when OOUK deliver my ODK12. I think storm warnings for the south west will be in order.

• Like 1

Think I'm shooting through a fair bit of high altitude whispy cloud. Hard to tell, but the subs aren't looking great. A bit brown and murky with splattery looking stars even though I'm focused properly. 

Went from 10pm - 3am green to all orange except for 3am now. Meh.

Poured myself a glass of red for my efforts anyway, think I'll leave it running, hopefully get some clear skies or data worth keeping.

2 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Worried about what will happen when OOUK deliver my ODK12. I think storm warnings for the south west will be in order.

And not forgetting I have that Rowan AZ100 mount on order. 😬

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smr said:

Think I'm shooting through a fair bit of high altitude whispy cloud.

To put not too fine a point on it, it's pants.

And I've just discovered, having attempted to refocus my 80ED after the Steeltrak upgrade, that the new focuser doesn't have enough backfocus, so I'm going to need to add an extension in somewhere...

James

7 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Typical, but that should mean that @don4l just down the M4 from you is having a good night 😆

I'm having a great night.

I've managed 30 mins of RGB on IC1396 (Elephant Trunk)  Then 20m of Ha before it hit the Meridian.

Since then,  I've got 70m of OIII on the Veil - and still going strong.

....... Is the APO new?

• Like 2

Have to be up early in the morning so I'm off the bed.  Goodnight all and good luck to those continuing.

• Like 4

According to CO I should have 48% cloud with a good chance of rain, but it looks totally clear. Not brilliant (CO got that right) but clear enough, I may add 2 hours Luminance if it holds up.

• Like 1