Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

8 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Are the boats up and running now Ray ? son had to drive all the way back to Calais after having ferry cancelled three times.

Dave

No I think the boats are still off, Dave.  I'm flying Easyjet, but this has been off and on.  

We've had about 5 cancellations, and even this flight went back and forth (9th cancelled and rebooked for 12th, then that moved to 7th).  I thought I was going to have to drive as I need to go, but fortunately they said the 7th flight will definitely not be cancelled as it is the only one that day.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes flights have been very iffy to and from Spain.  I have a friend in the UK at the moment who comes back and stays with us for her long term follow up appointments for previous breast cancer.  She prefers to stay with her long time UK Consultant at St Thomas's rather than start over with the hospitals in Spain where they now live.  She came over in early March for the results of a biopsy to find she has a new cancer in the breast despite having had 2 mastectomies.  By the time they had done all the scans etc, lockdown had set in and she was put on hold for over two months so managed somehow to get herself back to Spain where her husband was holed up on his own in Spanish lockdown.

Then she had problems trying to get back for her delayed surgery with flights being cancelled and re-scheduled.  But just managed to get back (with husband as well this time) before quarantine restrictions and has now had her surgery, but has had to find somewhere else to stay (because we couldn't have them here) which has been difficult. 

She is stuck in the UK now until she has completed her radiotherapy, while the people whose house they are staying in are stuck in Spain and can't get back to the UK for the same reasons., so they are living in our friends apartment in Spain (a temporary house swap).  Testing times.  

These are the friends I stay with when I do my Spanish astro imaging.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Yes flights have been very iffy to and from Spain.  I have a friend in the UK at the moment who comes back and stays with us for her long term follow up appointments for previous breast cancer.  She prefers to stay with her long time UK Consultant at St Thomas's rather than start over with the hospitals in Spain where they now live.  She came over in early March for the results of a biopsy to find she has a new cancer in the breast despite having had 2 mastectomies.  By the time they had done all the scans etc, lockdown had set in and she was put on hold for over two months so managed somehow to get herself back to Spain where her husband was holed up on his own in Spanish lockdown.

Then she had problems trying to get back for her delayed surgery with flights being cancelled and re-scheduled.  But just managed to get back (with husband as well this time) before quarantine restrictions and has now had her surgery, but has had to find somewhere else to stay (because we couldn't have them here) which has been difficult. 

She is stuck in the UK now until she has completed her radiotherapy, while the people whose house they are staying in are stuck in Spain and can't get back to the UK for the same reasons., so they are living in our friends apartment in Spain (a temporary house swap).  Testing times.  

These are the friends I stay with when I do my Spanish astro imaging.

Carole 

That's pretty challenging stuff, Carole, and so sorry to hear your friends news 🙁  Hopefully the 'corridors' being established mean they can all now start getting back to where they need to be.

On a brighter note, fortunately the night time forecast is looking excellent, so I am bursting at the seams to get everything fired up there and get some good imaging time under dark skies.

Posted (edited)

the night time forecast is looking excellent

Wow must find my weather forecast as I am not too far from you Ray. 

Just got back from the Tip having made an appointment 6 weeks ago (Covid arangements) to get rid of our garden waste which has been piling up since the beginning of March.   As you can imaging it was a really filthy job since much of it has started to ferment sitting around all that time, plus just to add to it, it was raining!!!

Carole

Edited by carastro

Posted (edited)

Hmmm, not sure where you found your excellent forecast Ray, this is mine and I checked Maidstone as well.

Thursday is looking good though. 

Weather 17-4-20.jpg

Edited by carastro

1 minute ago, carastro said:

Hmmm, not sure where you found your excellent forecast Ray, this is mine and I checked Maidstone as well.

Rays is for Spain Carole 😂

Dave

• Haha 1

Rays is for Spain Carole 😂

Lol, I thought he was talking about tonight's forecast, he doesn't go to Spain until 7th I thought.

Carole 

5 hours ago, carastro said:

Lol, I thought he was talking about tonight's forecast, he doesn't go to Spain until 7th I thought.

Carole 

Sorry Carole, I wasn't clear.  Yes I meant the night time forecast in Spain, which is looking very good.  However, return flight has just been cancelled so it's all up in the air again at the minute 😟

• Sad 3

With the correct spacers to maintain back focus and a new T2 faceplate, I have the new filter wheel fitted. Had to mount it upside down - luckily filters have no correct way up!! Ordered a right angle usb cable for the guidescope. 

IMG_20200630_203006.thumb.jpg.ba02db5d8ee6e4f7b67b84a5d3039015.jpg

IMG_20200630_203108.thumb.jpg.604c189a2d4c208636aeb9c3c9227e59.jpg

• Like 3

@MarkAR, thank you for the advice re Baader filters. I attempted to source a narrowband set but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth currently with no UK stock at dealers or the distributor and apparently no stock at the factory in Germany.

I have managed to order a Baader 7nm Ha filter and I will be content with imaging in LRBG+Ha until UK stock is available on OIII and SII. I will also look to replace my LRGB filters with Baader moving forward as I believe it is very useful to have matched filters for focus?

• Like 3

I have Baader LRGB filters and found them fine.  I have no knowledge of their NB filters though.

• Like 1

All my filters are Baader.  

luckily filters have no correct way up!!

I am no expert on this but I recall having read a number of threads where there was discussion about there being a right and wrong way up, something to do with reflections/halos or something.  Maybe some-one who knows more than me can chip in about it.

Carole 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, carastro said:

I am no expert on this but I recall having read a number of threads where there was discussion about there being a right and wrong way up, something to do with reflections/halos or something.  Maybe some-one who knows more than me can chip in about it.

Carole 

Certainly correct for my ZWO filters and I think others, they usually have an arrow on the mounting holder, mine are unmounted so I had to judge from the colour of the inside of the filter edges... 

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/blog/unmounted-filters-which-side-should-face-the-telescope/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris Wright said:

@MarkAR, thank you for the advice re Baader filters. I attempted to source a narrowband set but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth currently with no UK stock at dealers or the distributor and apparently no stock at the factory in Germany.

I have managed to order a Baader 7nm Ha filter and I will be content with imaging in LRBG+Ha until UK stock is available on OIII and SII. I will also look to replace my LRGB filters with Baader moving forward as I believe it is very useful to have matched filters for focus?

Shame about the NB sets. The Baaders are supposed to be par focal and as far as I can tell they are pretty close.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, carastro said:

Carole 

You're correct that they have to be facing the right way and not front to back but I think Chris means in rotation having his filter wheel sticking up rather than down.

I have mine sticking up the same, anti collision way up.

• Like 3

Just now, MarkAR said:

You're correct that they have to be facing the right way and not front to back but I think Chris means in rotation having his filter wheel sticking up rather than down.

I have mine sticking up the same, anti collision way up.

I've mine pointing down, I've not carried out a full sweep of movement to check for collisions as I usually set meridian flip at 0.5hour - I'll certainly revisit this when I get the mount on the pier though!

• Like 2

I think Chris means in rotation having his filter wheel sticking up rather than down.

Gotcha, not having a good day today misunderstanding posts what with Ray's weather forecast for Spain and not UK.  Lol

Carole 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes indeed upside down rather than back to front but useful to know back to front matters. 

My LRGB filets are Altair Astro set came in a deal with the camera. Would be good to have a wheel full of Baader though. The Ha arrives tomorrow and I'll keep an eye on stock of the other NB. Probably be a month or two before I invest in the Baader LRGB but they are on my (long) wants list! 

Really pleased with the Starlight Xpress filter wheel. Seems to be wonderful build quality. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Carole 

I believe that this is true.  The Baader filters are designed so that they work correctly if screwed into a nosepiece attached to the camera.  In other words, the threads should be on the camera side.  Most, but not all, filter wheels should accommodate the filters correctly.  My Moravian filter wheel is threaded on the wrong side, so I would have to use unmounted filters.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I just thought of a little experiment I need to try out. Take a sub on each filter but only focus on the L and see what the rest look like.

1 hour ago, MarkAR said:

Shame about the NB sets. The Baaders are supposed to be par focal and as far as I can tell they are pretty close.

They are definitely pretty close.  I've had about 5 sets in all, and still have 2, and whilst not absolutely par focal, for my focal ratio all have been as good as is necessary. 

• Like 2

Saturn & Jupiter teasing me tonight through a hole in the clouds but I know by the time I set up  anything they'll be gone. 😢

Oh well a quick look through the 10x42 monocular is better than nothing I suppose. 🙂

• Like 4

Take a sub on each filter but only focus on the L and see what the rest look like.

I have to do that anyway ATM with my Samyang lens as I can't reach focus with anything but Luminance and Ha.  It's only slightly out and I can overcome the colour not being 100% in processing.  

When using my telescopes, I find most Baader filters are par focal (possibly because the focal ratio is slower than the Samyang lens), sometimes Blue and Oiii need a tweak. 

Carole   

14 hours ago, Chris Wright said:

With the correct spacers to maintain back focus and a new T2 faceplate, I have the new filter wheel fitted. Had to mount it upside down - luckily filters have no correct way up!! Ordered a right angle usb cable for the guidescope. 

Couldnt you slide the guidescope up a bit in its rings for a little more cable space?

Roger

Camera lenses are not APO over the full range we use in astro imaging and the focus at the red end will be a bit out.  This is not noticeable in terrestrial photography as the human eye is less sensitive in the red.

• Like 2