Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

My clear sky has just pushed back an hour.  Again.  But it is supposed to be clear until the morning now.

I am however starting to wonder if the Met Office isn't home to the south west branch of the British Sadists Society...

James

Same here - orange until 4am then green few several hours!!  No I'm not staying up in case it's right!!!

CO is saying 34% cloud but it looks pretty much solid to me.

Solid here too.

The sky has cleared!

Grabbing some quick pickups on Stephan and Deer, 20 mins green and an hour blue. After that we'll see.

Still cloudy here but at least it's stopped raining, forecast to clear in the early hours but won't be awake to find out, weekend looks promising ATM.

Dave

Brrrr... it's a fair bit colder than it has been there last few nights, down jacket and light gloves for the first time since last winter.

Edit: Going to call it a night after these pickups as I have to take the car in for servicing tomorrow morning and need to have the normal complement of working brain cells. Can't sleep in.

Edited by DaveS

We're up at our luxury Cumbrian villa for a few days between my shifts as it half term and junior and co are off school.

The sky was very promising just after dark but turned to full overcast . I had plans of hunting some asteroids with Ye Olde  Fullerscope so shelved them!

Just now it's improved considerably but still some bands of cirrus and thicker cloud floating by. Decide to have a quick scan with the 10 x 50's.

Using SkySafari on my tablet I hunted down Uranus. Should have been easier, an indication that the sky was worse than my un adapted eyes first thought. Neptune was next and being in a clearer area of sky was easier than Uranus. As you'd expect, neither gave away it's planetary nature through the bins.

Last, before I got too cold, was asteroid 9 Metis at mag 8.6 a few degrees below Uranus further in the murk. Thanks to a handy little asterism it was identifiable, coming and going in averted vision. I'm not sure what my asteroid count is but I know I just added one so some success after all :)

• Like 1

Still thick cloud here - total coverage! 

• Sad 1

Solid cloud here.  The forecast looks good for tomorrow though.

Just been out to check again and the western third of the sky is looking clear now.  Could easily be gone 11pm by the time the sky is clear properly though, which doesn't leave a lot of time before the Moon rises...

James

I shall have an early night...

11 minutes ago, Gina said:

Still thick cloud here - total coverage! 

Oh dear, and you're not that far away from me, hoped my clear sky would make it to your location.

4 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Oh dear, and you're not that far away from me, hoped my clear sky would make it to your location.

Nope - seems not.  Visibility seems to be decreasing too.  Local TV news spoke of fog!!!  So if it's not rain or cloud, it's FOG!!!

Edited by Gina
  • Sad 1

Clear and freezing but seeing was awful stars were watery.

Only stayed out for a couple of hours.

Good luck to anyone still trying.  Goodnight - I'm off to bed...

'night Gina

Looks like your sky has reached me, stars gone now, so I've tucked the 'scope up in its cover with a nice warm electric blanket, and just off to do the same.

Good luck to all still out.

• Thanks 1

I've had to abandon my plans, too.  Just having a drink and then I shall be off for an early night.

James

Cloudy here tonight. 

Had a great local club meeting though with julian onions

( subject ) Dark Matter.

Cleared up finally here in Cornwall at about 11:15pm. Too late, though, with moonrise before midnight, an early start in the morning (and because I hadn't even set up the 'scope!) Hope we all get a clearer evening soon!

Regards, Mike.

Woke up about 5am and the stars were out but I wasn't going out - a nice warm bed was far more inviting!

• Thanks 1

Lovely clear skies at 5:am when I looked outside and thought about getting the little mak out for a minute but then decided going back to bed was the preferred option. 🙂

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I was up at about 5.20 looked out and it was clear, but I too went back to bed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think what is needed is a fully remote controlled observatory and imaging rig and control laptop on bedside table so that the roof can be opened and imaging set up all from the comfort of a nice warm bed 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1