Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

It's actually stopped raining here for the moment!  😯

Aren't weather forecasts wonderful?!!!  CO is now showing patches of green some night this coming week!  😉

Got some broken cloud and blue sky here with a bit of sunshine. Won't last though. #GlassHalfEmpty.

• Haha 1

Had sunshine here earlier this morning - gone now - oodles of cloud!

Yesterday the forecast for the week showed no clear sky at all.  Today I have five hours worth this evening.  Of course the reality is that I have 100% cloud cover, so the weather does need to get its skates on a bit...

James

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well I'm already here Northumberland but looks like some clouds are rolling in 😟

20191021_172713.jpg

• Like 1

CO for now quotes 20% cloud but in reality it's 90%!!  I'm not holding out much hope of the two hours of green later tonight!

Looks like I may have an hour's green slot around 10 o/c. Yeah, right.

I'm a bit light (Hah!  See what I did there?) on LRGB data for the Crescent, so if the weather does play ball I might have a go at that.

I also need to tinker with the Photoline 72 now I've put the flattener/reducer on it.  It'll need refocusing and I don't actually know if I have the spacing correct yet.  I might just find a target to point that at and see how the data turns out.  I have the 174MM on that at the moment.  I think that gives me a 2 x 1 degree field of view.  I'll have to check if that's big enough for the Heart and Soul together...

James

Guess I'll decide if I'm doing anything if the sky clears...

I do like to have a plan, just in case.  It saves a last minute panic when there's unexpected clear sky :)  Sadly, when it's a month between usable clear spells planning doesn't always work out...

However, now we've got there, the forecast for clear sky around 8pm has changed to clear sky around 9pm so it could be one of those nights where the window keeps shrinking until it disappears altogether :(

James

Anyone else seen this evening's Met Office weather forecast video with Aidan McGivern standing in front of a photo of the milky way? He mentions the Orionids meteor shower then points and laughs and says "stargazers, you're not going to see this tonight".   Grrrr 🤨 

Just looked outside - total cloud cover!!

6 minutes ago, Skywatcher130 said:

Anyone else seen this evening's Met Office weather forecast video with Aidan McGivern standing in front of a photo of the milky way? He mentions the Orionids meteor shower then points and laughs and says "stargazers, you're not going to see this tonight".   Grrrr 🤨 

That's practically asking for a slap,  that is.

Just been out to check the situation myself.  Still 100% cloud and hideous LP from the coastal eyesores to the north east.  Also panicked a couple of roe deer that were in the orchard, probably munching on our windfall apples.

James

• Like 1

Just checked CO and the small green strip that was going to provide salvation this evening has gone all orange and red. Showing green tomorrow but Tuesday is a school night😭

I'm not sure now that I'll make it out even if the sky does clear.  I just fell asleep in my chair :D

James

Not raining but solid cloud. Can see the LP from Bridport to my north west-ish

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

I'm not sure now that I'll make it out even if the sky does clear.  I just fell asleep in my chair :D

I tend to have my "Nana-Nap" in the afternoons....just in case.

3 minutes ago, KevS said:

I tend to have my "Nana-Nap" in the afternoons....just in case.

I wonder if anyone would notice if I did that instead of working?

James

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I wonder if anyone would notice if I did that instead of working?

Your obviously not a civil servant😉

K

Just now, KevS said:

Your obviously not a civil servant😉

Indeed not.  I have been quite rude at times...

James

• Haha 3

Well I blincked and ClearOutside has just gone from Green tonight to Orange & Red.......😭