Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

The moon should be up but there's no sign of it!  Must be behind thick cloud... 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Sky has gone, so closing down. The little sombrero frames nicely, so that's now on my to do target list for this year.....

I only heard of the Little Sombrero a few weeks ago.  It looks like a super target.  I look forward to seeing it.

Did you finish the Helix, or is it gone for the year?

• Like 1

Looks like a couple of hours of clear sky still in the forecast so letting the mosaic jobs run on. Doing a 3x3 mosaic with 10% overlap, 10 frames of 300s Ha each, as a first try at making a high-res image of the Heart Nebula - never done a mosaic before but with the new mosaic tools in PI 1.8.7 will be interested to try. Won't get everything in tonight but enough to do a bit of processing I hope.

• Like 1

I have brought in my 5 inch refractor as it's a little cloudy at moment. 

Popping out the 73mm incase it clears again. 

Glass of vino whist it clears hopefully  😁

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, don4l said:

I only heard of the Little Sombrero a few weeks ago.  It looks like a super target.  I look forward to seeing it.

Did you finish the Helix, or is it gone for the year?

Thanks Donal, the Helix didn’t come to much, it’s just too low down from here.

Well, argh. Left the mosaic jobs running and went to do some other stuff. Thought it was odd that the images hadn't changed much throughout imaging so grabbed a few "tiles" down and found everything near-perfectly aligned. Turns out if you leave the FITS field filled in in the scheduler when creating a job to use for the mosaic tool in KStars, it'll copy that FITS file setting to all the jobs the mosaic tool generates, which then over-rides the coordinates and forces plate-solving against the FITS, so all the jobs solve to the same coordinates. Doh. Bug raised: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=413216 - bit annoying!

Edited by discardedastro
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, discardedastro said:

Well, argh. Left the mosaic jobs running and went to do some other stuff. Thought it was odd that the images hadn't changed much throughout imaging so grabbed a few "tiles" down and found everything near-perfectly aligned. Turns out if you leave the FITS field filled in in the scheduler when creating a job to use for the mosaic tool in KStars, it'll copy that FITS file setting to all the jobs the mosaic tool generates, which then over-rides the coordinates and forces plate-solving against the FITS, so all the jobs solve to the same coordinates. Doh. Bug raised: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=413216 - bit annoying!

I'm not sure if you've just got wrong info in the headers, or if you've got a whole bunch of images of the same place with correct headers?

If the images are correct but the headers are wrong, then it can be fixed easily.

Just now, don4l said:

I'm not sure if you've just got wrong info in the headers, or if you've got a whole bunch of images of the same place with correct headers?

If the images are correct but the headers are wrong, then it can be fixed easily.

Lots of images of the same place with the right headers. The capture spec was incorrect - because it contains the FITS reference (which made sense for me to set, when I was setting up a job initially for a single shot, and then I didn't remove when I converted that job to a mosaic).

Each mosaic job spec looks like:

<Job>
        <Name>heartnebula-Part1</Name>
        <Priority>10</Priority>
        <Coordinates>
            <J2000RA>2.58407</J2000RA>
            <J2000DE>60.8758</J2000DE>
        </Coordinates>
        <FITS>/home/james/Pictures/scope/2019-10-19/Light/H_Alpha/HeartNebula_Light_H_Alpha_300_secs_2019-10-19T21-36-44_010.fits</FITS>
  <Sequence>/home/james/Pictures/scope/2019-10-19/Mosaic/heartnebula-Part1.esq</Sequence>
  <!-- more stuff -->
</Job>

... but should just be:

<Job>
        <Priority>10</Priority>
        <Coordinates>
        </Coordinates>
  <Sequence>/home/james/Pictures/scope/2019-10-19/Mosaic/heartnebula-Part1.esq</Sequence>
  <!-- more stuff -->
</Job>

So the KStars scheduler dutifully did what was asked, and plate-solved the FITS file to get exact co-ordinates instead of trusting the values set in the Coordinates block. So, lots of 300s exposures of Melotte-15. Not a terrible thing!

Just running a 3x300 sequence now on the same mosaic job without the FITS file set and it's working fine. Lesson learned, bug filed - definitely odd behaviour (though arguably user error!)

3 minutes ago, discardedastro said:

Lots of images of the same place with the right headers. The capture spec was incorrect - because it contains the FITS reference (which made sense for me to set, when I was setting up a job initially for a single shot, and then I didn't remove when I converted that job to a mosaic).

Each mosaic job spec looks like:

<Job>
        <Priority>10</Priority>
        <Coordinates>
        </Coordinates>
        <FITS>/home/james/Pictures/scope/2019-10-19/Light/H_Alpha/HeartNebula_Light_H_Alpha_300_secs_2019-10-19T21-36-44_010.fits</FITS>
  <!-- more stuff -->
</Job>

... but should just be:

<Job>
        <Priority>10</Priority>
        <Coordinates>
        </Coordinates>
  <!-- more stuff -->
</Job>

So the KStars scheduler dutifully did what was asked, and plate-solved the FITS file to get exact co-ordinates instead of trusting the values set in the Coordinates block. So, lots of 300s exposures of Melotte-15. Not a terrible thing!

Just running a 3x300 sequence now on the same mosaic job without the FITS file set and it's working fine. Lesson learned, bug filed - definitely odd behaviour (though arguably user error!)

Ouch!

There seems to be no end of "lessons learned" in astrophotography.  The problem is remembering them all.

2 minutes ago, don4l said:

Ouch!

There seems to be no end of "lessons learned" in astrophotography.  The problem is remembering them all.

Absolutely. Checklists are great in hindsight. I keep meaning to make a halfway decent checklist app for this sort of thing.

Good job I got the data when I did, as all the green in CO for the next few days is turning orange or even red.

What a surprise. Not :mad:.

Same here!  Still showing some green for tomorrow night but not as much as even this morning.  When the TV forecast showed high pressure coming this way and mentioned clear, cold nights I thought "yippee".  OK... so where is all this clear sky then???!!!  Aaaarrrrrggghhh!!

Not here, that's for sure.

I can see a few blocks of green, but they're far apart and not really usable. The best I'm seeing is a long block of orange on Wed, but that's so far ahead it could easily turn red. New moon on Sat is, of course, solid red,

Clagged out here at the moment, due a few hours clear tomorrow, but who knows with "fantasy forecast".

• Like 1

It been a lovely sunny day here but now the darks clouds are gathering above ready for tonight!!!

It’s been mostly cloudy here today and that’s the forecast for tonight and most of the rest of the week....

clouded out some time ago, and the wind's getting up again.

I really want another hour's Blue, and 20 mins Green to balance the RGB channels on Stephan and Deer, will give me 3 hours each, then add RGB subs in order as I can.

Part of the sky - screenshot of part of my ASC image looking through my living room window roughly south.  Solid cloud!!  60s exposure with zero gain setting and camera temperature at 9.5°C.  This is zoomed in with resolution around pixel for pixel.

116943237_Screenshotfrom2019-10-2019-25-08.png.bf33528000052d3b895dee486bff42aa.png

Edited by Gina

Still total cloud cover - not a star or planet in sight.

Clouded in here. As an aside, the next version of KStars will correctly ignore the FITS field, if set, when making mosaics - meaning you can't fall into the same trap I did! Jasem has already written and applied a patch.

• Like 1

Cloud lit from underneath by street lights.

736111647_Screenshotfrom2019-10-2021-49-36a.thumb.png.d757d82847214045784a29771cf82362.png

Looks like you have more extraneous light than I do. The nearest streetlights are about 4 miles away.

I'm currently grabbing a few 300s subs of M45, as a test of some new kit, looking ok so far!

This is 4 x 5mins

1889491162_M5-test.thumb.jpg.9031926e0aa4f751945f72d99f2daf31.jpg

• Like 3

Raining here!  :clouds2:

• Sad 1