Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Not that brilliant here either. I can see stars over most of the sky but the horizon is brighter than I'd like.

Still going ahead with the sequence though, just in case the forecasts for Monday and Tuesday are wrong.

David you're a berk, what are you? *Gives self a thick ear*

I was in such a hurry (And out of practice) that when I set up the sequence not only did I forget to set a dither, I forgot to make the local model that gets the tracking errors right down to near zero.

Had to restart, Argh!

7 minutes ago, DaveS said:

David you're a berk, what are you? *Gives self a thick ear*

I was in such a hurry (And out of practice) that when I set up the sequence not only did I forget to set a dither, I forgot to make the local model that gets the tracking errors right down to near zero.

Had to restart, Argh!

I have reached the point of writing sets of instructions for things so I don't forget :)

James

• Like 1

I have a lot of stock exposure sequences stored in Sequence's Program Data files, but this was a one off "special" that I knocked up quickly. Tomorrow I'll go through them and delete the odd ones, just keeping the standards.

Thinking of writing some poetry in the style of Baldrick. Cloud Cloud Cloud Cloud. Ho Hum.

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6o mins of data now in, and still going strong.  The FWHMs are better than recent nights.

• Like 2

Well what do you know.... right on cue as the weather says.

Its clearing here.

😁

11 minutes ago, djpaul said:

Well what do you know.... right on cue as the weather says.

Its clearing here.

😁

They must have made a mistake when they made the forecast :D

James

• Haha 1

All set up and guiding on Sh2-132, started sequence then sure enough, the variable brightness guiding screens of high cloud started showing.  Umm’d and aaah’d for half an hour, Olll subs showing nothing even at 600s 2x2, so I packed up.

Bound to clear of course, now having decided to quit for the night...

• Like 1

Cloud is covering half the sky to the east.  There is a very heavy due.  Don't think I'll bother.

• Sad 1

Clearish here, so cracking on with some Ha, starting on Melotte-15 but thinking of trying a bit of a mosaic capture tonight.

• Like 1

There's reasonable transparency here, and I'm trying to get some imaging done before moonrise.

Unfortunately I have a cold coming on, so feel a bit too achy to set up the 12" Newt and then guide manually on something! Instead I've set up my old C8 to piggyback a 300mm lens and image the Bubble Nebula/M52 region, while I'm inside keeping warm. Good luck all.

Regards, Mike.

It's clear here tonight and unlike last night it's not windy. On my 2nd 15m Ha sub tonight to add to my M57. Will only get a couple of hours max on this as it's already heading west towards my neighbour's trees. I've been looking around for something else, so might take a punt at the little sombrero (NGC 7814) in Pegasus, but suspect the Moon will be too bright. I will take some test shots for another night though.....

Edited by geoflewis

Well it's still completely clear but the milky way isn't as bright as I have seen it before. My sequence has just under an hour to run then I'll see. The moon will be up shortly, hopefully far enough away from the target not to wash it out.

• Like 2

Argh, posted too soon. Packed up now, under mostly cloud and with a heavy shower on it's way according to the weather radar. Still, did get 9 x 3-minute frames.

Regards, Mike.

Bit off topic.

Using a new dew heater for the first time.

How marm should it get?

Its luke warm

And mainly at one end.

Bought it new at the astro show in kettering early this year.

Attached to my fully charged tracer battery. 

Moon's coming up and it's starting to wash out M45. Hopefully I'm far enough away not to be scuppered. In any case I'll call it a night as soon as this run is finished.

I've already decided not to set up tonight.  The sky is simply not good enough and I'm not feeling 100%.  See what happens in the next few nights.  Getting closer to having my ASC ready for outdoor testing.

Milky way is starting to get washed out now, but I think I'll keep it going until it finishes of its own accord. I came out a little while ago to find that sequence had performed a meridian flip and a second MLPT before carrying on with the run.

Now that the cantankerousness has been worked out I'm starting to like Sequence, it just gets on with the job.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gina said:

I've already decided not to set up tonight.  The sky is simply not good enough and I'm not feeling 100%.  See what happens in the next few nights.  Getting closer to having my ASC ready for outdoor testing.

Yes it's not great at all ... 

But just needed to get out as it's been rubbish for so long.

Im looking forward to those frosty clear nights winter brings. 

• Like 2

Some thin cloud has started to appear, and the value of my guide star in PHD is dropping.  I'll have a quick binned SII on the Heart to see what it looks like, but I that my evening is coming to an end.  I've now spent four nights gathering OIII on the Heart, but tonight's data (110min) looks good enough do something with.  I also gor 10m each of R G and B on it., so I've got something to play with tomorrow.

A good evening.

• Like 2

Quite a lot of thin cloud here now, so I've given up on M57 Ha and shooting a test Lum on NGC7814 the little sombreo ready for another night when there are better skies and no Moon....

The sky's still clear but the moon is starting to make its presence felt. Having got this 2 1/2 hours Luminance data I'll call it a night, and hope to get more, better data on Mon and Tue. Maybe. Looking at the last two or three subs, Stephan's Quintet is looking washed out compared to the first two or three.

Sky has gone, so closing down. The little sombrero frames nicely, so that's now on my to do target list for this year.....

OK, the sequence has finished, so I've shut up for the night. Still clear but too bright for RGB, let alone L imaging.

Quite a heavy dew forming so made sure I had the lens cap warmed up and put the pet warmer under the Telegizmos cover.

Will be turning in soon, 'night all.

• Like 1