Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

It's clouded over here.   I've managed to get 50 mins of OIII, which is very useful.  I'm trying to get a feel for when it is worth grabbing OIII data,  and tonight's data is far better than last night's.  The sky didn't look any darker, and I started later - so there was probably more moonlight tonight, even though the moon has waned a bit.  Time and practice will tell.

• Like 1

Not ahope of seeing anything here, misty and completely overcast above that, lucky if I will be able to see the moon.

Just checked....there is a very faint fuzzy glow where the moon should be.......😭

Showers here and continuous cloud cover.

It's a clear moonlit sky here currently and been thus for the past couple of hours, however, I haven't been able to use it....

Firstly I got my main imaging laptop back from the IT guy who was able to bring it back to life sufficient to recover the data, but he advised that the machine itself, whilst currently working, is really for the scrap heap, so I took his advice and have ordered a new replacement. I spent much of the rest of today getting all the data and various program installers off the laptop to external hard drives ready to set up the new laptop when it arrives....

Secondly about 2 hours ago I thought I'd head out to the obs and try some new adaptors to connect my QSI camera to my 4" TSAPO. Currently I have to take the camera down and change the face plate between a standard 2" T-mount and a wider USA  2.156" mounting when switching between the C14 and 4" APO. Last week I purchased a 2.156" x 2" nose for the QSI to make the switch straightforward, so I was hoping to use that tonight, BUT as I now find that there is insufficient travel in the 4" APO focus tube to get sufficient back focus for the camera and after rummaging through all my various fittings and adaptors I don't have anything make up the difference. What I have is either too short or too long, so I have just ordered something in between - hopefully next time, I'll have what I need....

Thirdly, frustration and generally tiredness got the better of me, so I shut everything down and came back indoors.

Sorry for the long moan, I will have an early night instead 😴

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

A huge thunderstorm passed through a couple of hours ago, but it is clear here now and it’s really cleaned the sky, so I’m back shooting more 15 min Ha subs at Bin2x2 on M57 with the C14. Forecast is for it to stay clear, so fingers crossed that I can get a couple of hours to add to the 1 hour that I capture the other night. 10 mins on and guiding is ~0.45”, which for me is about as good as it gets.

Cheers, Geof

Not a chance. Had some pretty hefty showers blowing through earlier, with torrential downpours, now it's blowing up, and will do all night.

10 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Not a chance. Had some pretty hefty showers blowing through earlier, with torrential downpours, now it's blowing up, and will do all night.

Actually the wind has picked up here now, so my guiding RMS has jumped up to 0.8", with some pretty big spikes. Unfortunately the C14 with a huge dew shield is something of a sail when it's gusty, so I'll have to watch how things develop. Last sub showed stars (whole image) at 1.58 FWHM with HFD of 5.10 whatever those mean....

Edited by geoflewis

ok, so first the wind gusts and now cloud has beaten me, but I got another 4x15 mins of usable data I think, but have now shut everything down....

Looks promising for tonight...

1606943242_Screenshotfrom2019-10-1917-06-40.png.e07f557c4d6fdb0a45a57638b4ba4f7d.png

Says no rain so I'll be doing some calibration frames before I take the mount apart to go to SGLSP.

Dave

Not sure what I shall be doing ATM.

Blue skies here, and the forecast is to stay clear till 4am.

I'll try to get some decent OIII on the Heart.

Forecast says partly sunny here right now. Nope.....wall to wall cloud. 🙁

C48DF170-7839-4B50-B23C-43920511E2DA.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

In a quandary myself. I need more Luminance data on Stephan and Deer, but the moon is in the way. Although CO is saying clear on Mon and Tue I can't rely on that.

Maybe get 2 1/2 hours L on S&D while the moon's out of the way, and try for some [NII] on M27 plus perhaps HII  on S&D later.

If Mon and Tue are clear then fill in more RGB and L on S&D then park it.

I think I'll start a completely new set of subs on Mell 15 as the set I have ATM are full of bad alignment edges, some of which are skewed.

Almost totally clear blue sky here ATM.  Just a few cumulus clouds mostly on the horizon.

Edited by Gina

6 minutes ago, Gina said:

Almost totally clear blue sky here ATM.

That's 'cos the cloud is all over here :(

I do have a clear sky forecast this evening though, so I'll have to see how it goes.  I'm not very organised in terms of what to do because the forecast has been so changeable.

James

Clouds are gathering here now and not just little white fluffy ones - great big black ones!!

I am planning to get my big dob out. First target, the comet 2018 N2. Maybe Uranus with four moons and then a few galaxies before the moon rises..

Mark

I'm hoping for a successful session tonight. Haven't been out in over a month

Just had a look outside - partly cloudy - a few brighter stars and a planet or two showing.  Not setting up yet.

Phew!

Was watching the rugger highlights when I remembered I hadn't checked the orientation of the camera. Waaay off, my L subs would have been a disaster. Fixed now. luminance focused too, and Sequence ready to go as soon as it's Astro Dark.

Hope the clouds over here don't go over there then...

• Thanks 1

I'm waiting too see how well it clears.

Supposed to be clear at 9pm -3am in Northampton 

I've just had a look outside and whilst it's clear the transparency is poor and the seeing is possibly the worst I've seen for some time.  I might still open up the observatory, but I'm not convinced it's worthwhile.

James