Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Up and running 180 s subs M81. Fingers crossed stars look fairly round at the moment. Just put kettle on after half an hour of cable strangling.

Edited by KevS
Typo
  • Like 1

Spent 2 hours trying to unbreak my network which decided to spontaneously develop a fault of some sort after 300 days of uninterrupted stability. Grah.

Finally up and running. Picked on M33 even though it doesn't quite fit in the frame because soddit, it's something.

Just got back from picking up my son from his D of E stuff and having looked at the sky I'm not that impressed.  Yes, it is clear bar the occasional small cloud, but the sky is very bright.  I reckon there might be a lot of moisture in the atmosphere.

I shall have a quick drink and get out there anyhow, but I think it's more of a tinkering evening than an imaging evening...

James

Just back from a meeting and the sky is totally clear with a very bright moon.

Now to set up my ASC.

Edited by Gina

Totally clear here too, but the moon is so bright that the sky's washed out. I think there's a lot of moisture in the air here too, as there's a bright haze around the moon. The only target that makes any sense under moonlight is M27, which is an ongoing project but it's getting a bit far beyond the meridian as I want 3 hours data.

There's no other project target that makes sense for me, Stephan and Deer needs darkness, and Melotte 15 is too close to the moon. I don't want to be shooting subs just to fill my hard drive.

Bother, or a similar very rude word.

Well, in the twenty minutes since my last post, in which time I have had a drink and got changed to go out to the observatory, the sky has changed from almost completely clear to 80% cloud cover :(

The forecast is still for clear sky, but there was nothing but cloud on the horizon to the south and west so I'm not sure how long it will take to clear up, if at all.

James

Moon is clear as a bell here - lots of detail.  It only covers half a dozen pixels on my ASC though.

Beautifully clear still here for a change. First light through the Dall-Kirkham at last. Have to say, very impressive so far despite the awful condition of the mirror coatings. The optical set is a David Hinds "A" grade, I bought them, well used, several years ago and only recently built them into a usable telescope. Once fully sorted and re-aluminised I'm hoping it will be my "Mars" telescope next year.   😀

• Like 1

Just packed up very rough and ready M81, school day tomorrow.:crybaby2:

Clear skies for  those carrying on.

K

The moon is too bright for this camera and lens combination.  It's saturating with minimum exposure (32µs) and zero gain unbinned.  Cant really check focus without either stars or a planet.  I can see Jupiter but it's too far west to image from indoors.

1797091573_Screenshotfrom2019-10-1623-05-36.png.9f1fa7a784c55b63efb301d49ab80504.png

Edited by Gina

Not playing tonight. A late night (2:30 a.m) due to ambulance activity for my Dad, followed by needing to be up at 7:00 to stab the cat (insulin) means I are knackered. Supper time for cat then bed I think.

Gina- what is the software that you screenshot with weather, moon state, ISS state etc please?

Screenshot is part of the OS - Linus Mint.  Accessories > Screenshot then you can choose to grab the whole screen, the current window or select an area.

Edited by Gina

Yes that's right.  I read the post another way 😯

• Like 1

Well the moon looked good from 35,000 feet 😉 - shame we had to come down through the clouds to the drizzle 🙄.  But it was a late flight, and it's been a busy few days in Edinburgh, so bed calling anyway!

Helen

Packed up. Frames fairly meh, but some halfway acceptable Ha to add to the store at least. Bright skies with very occasional clouds.

Bit of mist and a nearly fulll moon. Not many stars visable but set up the new 8” Cassegrain anyway. Was impressed with how sharp and clear the terminator (such as it was) was with no cool down time at all. How unlike the Skymax180. 🙂

Left it cooling down and will see how  much better it performs with some cool down time. 🤔

Very misty up here.....waste of time really...

Well let the 8” Cassegrain cool for an hour. Dew was dripping off the scope and had to wipe off the finder and eyepiece but zero dew on the scope primary or secondary. Had read that this scope just doesn’t dew up. 👍🏻

Took a tour of the moons termintor and was impressed by the sharpness, contrast and detail showing. Then tried the Morpheus 4.5 which would give 541 mag. All I can say is wow.  Unbeliveabe detail !!! The sensation of just floating above the moons surface was remarakable. I had thought the Skymax 180 was a good lunar scope but this is in a different league. I could see more detail than I ever did in the 180. And this was with mist and not great seeing. Can’t wait for a clear night with great seeing And also the collimation needs some fine tuning. 🙂

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Packing up now. Very happy with just ove r 5 hours worth. Once again, the autostack from DSS Live, with a simple stretch. 

NGC7635_Ha_322mins.jpg

• Like 4

It's the same as last night here.  The sky is mostly clear, so I've put the scope out to cool down.

Last night I recalibrated the autofocusing, and it seemed to work.  I only got 40m of data before the cloud arrived,  so I didn't get to use the autofocusing in anger. 

I did manage - at last -  to try out my new camera's OIII sensitivity - and it looks really good.   My old camera was almost blind when it comes to Blue light. 

Cloudy here with rain forecast though not actually raining at present.  May be better in a few days though.  Of course, I'll believe it when I see it!!

691407957_Screenshotfrom2019-10-1720-00-31.png.c891fdd7c96b9ff2894513725d71b7cd.png

Been getting a few heavy showers coming through so staying in. Got some halfway decent looking weather forecast, but I too will only believe it when I see it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Been getting a few heavy showers coming through so staying in. Got some halfway decent looking weather forecast, but I too will only believe it when I see it.

The showery weather is what is worrying me.  I'm imaging at the moment, but if it rains, then I am a bit stuffed.  I don't have a roof that I can close [sigh].

Edited by don4l
  • Sad 1